Christmas Tea Vert

Almond, Apple, Cream, Cut grass, Vanilla, Cinnamon, Ginger, Orange, Orange Zest
Loose Leaf, Sachet
Edit tea info Last updated by EmmaM

2 Images

• “This was the first tea (other than the advent calendar) that I cracked from my recent Dammann Freres/Vendomme Cadeau order. A huge thanks to yyz for letting me know about this optional way of...” Read full tasting note
  • “Again, one of those Dammann teas that exploded with tasting notes after I added it to the database. It’s been a lot of fun reading reviews of teas I acquired completely blindly. In the bag, I get a...” Read full tasting note
  • “Day 7! This one dry, smelled like a Christmas tea. There was sweet cinnamon and a fruity flavor I thought was cherry. The green tea is smooth and creamy, but not buttery. It is a bit more dry...” Read full tasting note
  • “Dammann Freres advent calendar. Day… 4ish? Though I’m actually having it on the 11th of December, so whoops. On the plus side though I have gone through the backlog and am (mostly) keeping up. ...” Read full tasting note

From Dammann Freres

This green tea scented with orange, cinnamon, vanilla, apple, almond and ginger, adorned with orange peels and pieces of apple delivers a unique infusion inspired by Christmas scents.
Brewing time: 3 to 4 minutes

About Dammann Freres View company

This was the first tea (other than the advent calendar) that I cracked from my recent Dammann Freres/Vendomme Cadeau order. A huge thanks to yyz for letting me know about this optional way of purchasing DF teas! (Note: shipping was only 8 euros to Canada, and it got here in a week. Beautifully packaged as well).

So why did I pick this tea? Because it’s the only one I’m not sharing with others in some fashion, and because it’s such a small amount (cute 30g tin). Plus I love greens, and haven’t had a lot of late.

For some reason, I’m getting spicy in this blend. Cinnamon perhaps? Which is odd considering there’s zero cinnamon, just variations of orange (orange, orange peel). I definitely get orange though, and a touch of vanilla. It’s quite a lovely tea, although much better with a touch of Truvia. Light, refreshing, pleasant. I might order more if I could find a better price for a larger amount…. $20 for 30g including shipping seems a bit pricey for me, if only compared to the other teas I grabbed that were in the $11/100g range. Or maybe I’m just spoiled.

ifjuly

if I may be so nosy as to ask, how was customs? i’ve wanted to order DF for a while now but am always scared away by the risk of brokerage fees or my tea simply not being allowed in at all after paying so much. hmmmm…

MissB

I just paid the eight euros shipping and that’s it. Zero brokerage fees. I didn’t go through DF though, I went through these guys: http://www.cadeau-deco-vendome.com/ I’m also Canadian, if that helps.

thank you! (:

Dinosara

ifjuly- I just got my package ordered through the Dammann site and paid no customs fees. US address.

ifjuly

thanks Dinosara! that gives me hope too.

In the bag, I get a strong, well-balanced cherry-orange. Definitely a nice combination for a Christmas tea, but, as always, the Dammann Frères tea smells like something very-tasty-but-not-for-me. It’s like most Italian pastries. Everyone goes crazy over all these cakes and cannoli and Sicilian anything, but I honestly wouldn’t get out of bed for any ricotta filling. This country is the country of the worst croissants (or, you know, ‘cornetti’) ever. I get better croissants in the Midwest, for crying out loud. No. French pastries, though? I don’t even want to imagine a world without them. (This is my bible, available in English now, too: http://www.amazon.fr/P%C3%A2tisserie-Lultime-r%C3%A9f%C3%A9rence-Christophe-Felder/dp/2732442119/)

So when I go to my favourite bakery here, to get some unassuming, basic almond cookies, and I’m surrounded by all these tourists devouring cannoli and more cannoli, loudly expressing their delight, I feel exactly the same way I do when fellow Swedes get really into soccer, or when friends get together for a Lost marathon, or when I read reviews of these Dammann Frères teas. I’m glad everyone is pleased, but I’ll be over here in my corner, eating my pain aux raisins, wearing my 49ers tee, watching Veronica Mars, and sipping something that isn’t a Dammann Frères tea.

It tastes nice enough – with some cherry and some orange and a little cinnamon, but we just fail to connect, this tea and me.

[From my epic Instant-Thé order to Rome, October 2013.]

Ysaurella

Let’s say Italian pastries are often a little dry to my opinion but for me the worst croissant on the word I found it in an hotel in Lisbon !

Anna

Ugh, yes, I remember the Spanish croissant attemps, too – not so good. But in Italy, they’re not just bad, they’re offensive. There’s always this lemony aftertaste, and they put powdered sugar on them.

Ysaurella

des croissants belliqueux…I need to try that !

Anna

Haha, yes! But you don’t try them, you battle them.

Day 7!

The green tea is smooth and creamy, but not buttery. It is a bit more dry than what I would have assumed from the smell. There is a definite fruity taste. Not necessarily orange or apple, but it is sweet and tart at the same time. I am getting a definite cinnamon taste. There seems to be other spices as well, maybe some nutmeg but I am having a hard time putting a name to the taste, the best I come up with was kind of chai but not really. There is a very light vanilla-y taste. Maybe this tea is kind of like some kind of Christmas cake taste.

This tea tastes good, but it is not as good as the other Dammann teas I have tried so far. I am having trouble distinguishing the tastes of this one. Maybe I am trying to hard…

On the plus side though I have gone through the backlog and am (mostly) keeping up. This advent calendar stuff is hard when you work nights and the days change up on you mid shift.

Dry this really smelled a lot like cherry candy flavoring. Once steeped I get what resembles apple cinnamon. It’s so fun how these things change with nothing but the addition of hot water. Though there is orange in the ingredient list, I don’t get any here. Just mostly that cinnamon with apple and then a vague creaminesss that I will assume is from the vanilla.

What a cozy Christmas tea! I was worried about liking it since greens usually aren’t the first tea I reach for, but it is surprisingly full bodied and comforting – I don’t normally think of greens as a winter tea but it works here.

A refreshing break from the citrus, really. And quite good plain – I will have to keep this in mind if I do place a Dammann freres order in the future.

Dammann advent calendar, day 7. Christmas tea, on the day we went to get our Christmas tree! Perfect!

When I opened the sachet of this one it smelled like orange candy and spices. Brewed up the spices come out much more, with the orange blending well with them. It really reminds me of the holidays, that orangey spicienss. As usual, I find this one quite tasty. It’s a bit simpler than some of their other blends, but nice and well-balanced. Neither the orange nor the spices really overwhelms the other. The vanilla is subtle and basically provides a nice smoothness. I could take or leave the green tea base, as it isn’t as interesting (to me) as their black base, but it’s pretty nice and not astringent or grassy. A tasty blend for this evening but not something I would restock.

bleck spices. no nope.
i’m glad the black version of these taste better to me.

Day 7 of the advent calendar.
I was surprised when I opened this bag of tea. I really didn’t smell anything. I hope it isn’t my sore throat morphing into a head cold and ruining my sense of smell and taste! When it is brewed I can smell a little more, cinnamon mostly, but it is very subtle. I can taste cinnamon and a little fruit, but that is it. As always, the tea from DM is very smooth, but I don’t even taste the tea in this one. I wish I could amp it up a little. I’m starting to think the flavors of DM teas are far to delicate for my taste. Still, this calendar is a fun and great way to try out a company’s teas!

Advent calendar – day 10

This is a lovely green tea but I’m not in love. I get some fruitiness/cherry and spices with a hint on orange and vanilla, but I found it a little light in flavor and I much prefer the black version of this tea. It’s another tea I would enjoy if it was offered to me, but would not stock for myself.

Day 10 of the Dammann Freres Advent Calendar 2018

This was green tea. Very green. Very grassy. A hint of citrus. I didn’t taste any cinnamon. I’m sorry I didn’t like it. I drank about a quarter of the cup and then poured it down the sink. I hate doing that. But I just couldnt’ make myself drink it. But hey, at least I’m keeping my promise to myself to try every tea in the advent calendar!

Advent Calendar Day Seven

Slept in a little bit this morning and didn’t get to make my advent tea for the ride to work, so instead I drank it at work today. Second job, that is – at DAVIDsTEA.

I had started steeping it when I got pulled away from my tea to help a customer so instead of the three minute long steep like I’d intended it got closer to thirteen minutes. Amazingly, and completely to my surprise, it didn’t taste even a little bitter! In fact, it was super silky smooth with really nice rich vanilla and almond/marzipan notes that comprised the body. The top note was a bit fruitier; sort of apple-y? And then the finish had hints of cinnamon and green tea. It was a really, really solid tea! And I’m especially surprised by how well it held up to that long infusion overall.

When I make teas at work, I always share them with my coworkers on shift as well because that’s just how I am – if I’m having some, then you can too! The more the merrier; and sharing good tea is a great feeling. So, when my coworker Leah tried this one today I was really, really happy that she proclaimed this was “the best tea I’ve brought yet”, and that includes some straight stuff from What-Cha (black tea, I think), some RLT matcha, and the odd flavoured tea from other companies. So, general consensus between everyone was that this was/is awesome!

Flavors: Almond, Apple, Cream, Cut grass, Vanilla

Nattie

I love the idea that you’re at DAVIDs drinking tea from other brands :’)

Maddy Barone

Sounds marvelous!

Evol Ving Ness

What Nattie said. You go, Ms. Strange!

Kristal

I also agree with Nattie lol

Roswell Strange

I drink stuff from DT on shift too; but I’ve found that days I’m working at both jobs I have literally no time to drink any other tea besides my morning commute tea and the cold brew I have at lunch at job #1 – so I bring other stuff so the rest of my stash doesn’t feel unloved.