Hot Chocolate

Pu-erh Tea
Black Tea, Chocolate Chips, Chocolate Flakes, Cocoa Nibs, Pu Erh Tea
Chocolate, Bitter, Burnt, Dark Chocolate, Tea, Sweet, Cocoa, Roasted, Creamy, Dirt, Earth, Forest Floor, Mocha, Coffee, Metallic, Smoke, Sugar, Campfire, Roast nuts, Caramel, Cream, Hay, Thick, Rice
Medium
Kosher
Edit tea info Last updated by DAVIDsTEA

From DAVIDsTEA

Feeling hot, hot, hot

We take hot chocolate pretty seriously around here. It’s gotta be rich, decadent and mega-creamy. And after searching high and low for the ultimate hot chocolate tea, we finally found the perfect blend. We took a flavourful base of pu’erh and black tea, then we added real cocoa nibs and fudgy chocolate chips. The result? An uber-chocolately blend worthy of the name Hot Chocolate. Dark, sweet and totally satisfying, it’s the perfect winter treat.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Not bad. Not great. I was hoping for more creamy chocolate flavor.

Flavors: Chocolate

Blech! Way too sweet for me. I like the subtle chocolate flavor in David’s Tea’s Chocolate Rocket, but this was too much. I’d rather just drink real hot chocolate.

I was really looking forward to this tea and was hoping it would be a great substitute for my hot chocolate fix since I cannot find one that does not have some form of gluten in it. I had not paid attention to my daughters tube Daily Resolution teas (until more recently as I have noted in previous reviews lol) and had bought 50g of this tea. Much to my delight tonight, in her set of teas was hot chocolate.

The dried leaf is amazingly chocolaty, it made my mouth water with anticipation. It brewed a warming deep brown chocolate liquid very reminiscent of hot chocolate with an earthy chocolate aroma. The flavour was a bitter chocolate, not a sweet chocolate like I was looking for but still delicious… until I got to the last few sips where it was more of a burnt taste (I also noticed a lot of particulate at the bottom of my cup).

My family enjoyed it as well (except for the three year old who said yum but her face said differently lol). I doubt they will drink it again. I will drink the stuff I have bought. Will I buy it again, not sure at this point.

Resolution for today – Treat yo’self!

Flavors: Bitter, Burnt, Dark Chocolate

195 °F / 90 °C 7 min, 0 sec 16 OZ / 473 ML

The description sounds divine, the scent was amazing. This was actually the tea that I wanted to try so badly that I bought the Advent Calendar. It was a huge letdown for me – it was weak and not at all chocolate-y and doesn’t hold a light next to my much loved TWG Chocolate Earl Grey.

To be fair though, it wasn’t “offensive” like DT’s English Toffee. It was just…pu’erh that smelled like hot chocolate. So glad I didn’t order 50g!

Flavors: Tea

4 min, 45 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Pretty solid for David’s. A bit chocolatey, mild flavor, nice scent.

Flavors: Chocolate

Soooooo dissappointed in this one!! Way too sweet for me!! I was searching for a less expensive version of Capital Teas Chocolate Pu-erh and this is not it!! I think I would have enjoyed it more had it not been for the stevia, wish they would leave that out…..we can always add our own sweetness if needed!! Very bummed I purchased 2 oz…..can not wait to get through it and go back to Capital Teas!!

Flavors: Chocolate, Sweet

This is a nice substitute for hot chocolate without all of the calories and sugar. It has a decadent creamy flavour and rich chocolaty aroma. The flavour is quite satisfying and although it’s a bit sweet to start the day with, no complaints on my part this morning. I think I’m making colleagues jealous as the chocolaty aroma wafts around the office. If you are craving a simple chocolate tea, this fits the bill nicely I think. I tend to prefer other ingredients and flavours in addition to chocolate myself though. I guess I’m not enough of a chocolate purist.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cocoa, Roasted

205 °F / 96 °C 6 min, 0 sec 5 g 12 OZ / 355 ML

Extremely earthy for having so much chocolate listed in the ingredients. I taste very little chocolate and instead the chocolate seems to give it a creamy, earthy flavour. Let this one steep for a long time otherwise you’ll taste dirt. Once it steeps for an absurd amount of time (15 minutes plus) you can finally taste chocolate. I expected this to be sweet and it isn’t. Even though my expectations were totally false, this is still a good tea. Just don’t expect to be drinking liquid chocolate.

Flavors: Chocolate, Creamy, Dirt, Earth, Forest Floor, Mocha

1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

It’s a nice rich tea, strongly chocolate scented though not strongly flavored. A little sugar definitely improved the complexity of this. It’s rather earthy in a good way. However, it didn’t knock my socks off. I’d gladly drink more of it, but don’t have a need to do so.

Flavors: Chocolate, Earth

Boiling 7 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

HOT: This tea does not taste exactly like hot chocolate, but it does taste remarkably similar considering that it is tea! It has a dark chocolate, almost espresso top note. The metallic, earthy black tea comes through in the aftertaste. I recommend that if you re-steep the tea, you add a little bit of chocolate bits to it because the tea is much milder the second time around.
I would also like to bring attention to something miraculous: my partner, whom I have only ever known to like iced, fruity herbal tea was extremely fond of this tea hot! SO if you have a partner with a sweet tooth, try to coax them into a taste and they may also be pleasantly surprised?

ICED: I steeped this with a little extra chocolate and added milk. It tastes somewhat similar to a mocha, and there is a stronger note of espresso. The added milk (obviously) takes the chocolate note from the realm of a dark chocolate into a milkier one which is pleasant. However, I still prefer the hot version, though that could be the cold winter air clouding my judgement.

Flavors: Chocolate, Coffee, Dirt, Metallic, Smoke, Sweet