Mao Jian Jade

Medium
Kosher
Edit tea info Last updated by DAVIDsTEA

From DAVIDsTEA

What makes Mao Jian so special? It’s high-altitude grown in China’s Fujian province, known for its beautiful mountains, seaside landscape and of course, exquisite teas. The name “Mao Jian” means “Downy Tip,” referring to the little hairs found on the young, fresh tea leaves and the thin, needle-like shape of the roll. But we love it for more than just its looks. This summer-plucked, pan-fired green tea boasts sweet, vegetal and complex aromas, with a hint of minerality. No wonder it’s one of China’s most famous teas.

Pan-fired green tea from the Fujian province.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I decided to order this tea because it’s retiring and I hadn’t tried it yet. The description sounded good enough. I added some sugar to make it taste good, and other than that, it tastes quite vegetal… At first it tasted buttery but I’m glad it got better as it steeped. This tea is okay, for a straight tea.

Flavors: Sweet, Vegetal

Evening cuppa tonight, which I enjoyed during a nice soak in the tub. It’s amazing how relaxing I find this tea, given that it’s a green tea. I think it helps that it’s a really sweet green tea with nice fruity undertones; things like peach skins. The rest of it also quite lovely; vegetal and buttery snap peas and floral notes of gardenias! Reminds me of Spring time garden!

Yum. Glad I picked up a sample! I have way too many teas in my cupboard or else I’d definitely restock.
A traditional Chinese green tea. Mild, buttery, and sweet.
The moment where liquor first touches my lips reminds me of mountain spring water, full of minerals and freshness. An interesting contrast to the rest.
I kinda get where the plum reference comes from, but I would say the real plum notes come out in the aftertaste along with a honeysuckle sweetness. It also leaves my mouth super dry.

When I opened the bag and took in the smell of this tea, it was amazing. Almost like smelling a fine wine. So much sweet, moist vegetal goodness with a hint of plums in my opinion. The aroma is incredibly complex and inviting. The leaves unfurl and turn beautifully lush and green in the water. The aroma after brewing very inviting. There is a smooth or perhaps “buttery” taste to the tea that is just delicious. I think this would be a great tea to demonstrate to someone exactly what a good daily Green Tea should taste like. The price is very reasonable too which is why I use the term “Daily Green”.

Flavors: Butter, Plums, Umami, Vegetal

I had this tea prepared at David’s. I wanted to compare it with the $6 tin that I get at Walmart. I won’t do a full review except to say that it was good. Steeped for 3 minutes. Vegetal, but I suspect there may be some citrus in there, if I brewed it at home. I had it with asian food.

This is a really good traditional tea. I steeped the tea for a minute. Has a light sweet taste that I am quite fond of.

Wow, other than cashing in my frequent steeper points, this is the first tea I’ve gotten from DAVIDS in months. I wish this wasn’t a limited edition one, but such is them.

This tea is very vegetal and lovely and I’m presently surprised by the moderate price. No astringency, and I’ve done short steeps (like 30 sec) with 5ish grams and longer steeps with a bit less leaf too. 2min with just under a tablespoon of this tea works good.

If there’s any of this left I may stock up a bit more. This tea is a winner in my book.

Flavors: Vegetal

175 °F / 79 °C 8 OZ / 236 ML
MrQuackers

I picked this tea up for $6 / 110 g from Walmart

Kristal

Walmart doesn’t sell DAVIDs TEA though. What brand did you buy?

Kristal

Oh, just saw your comment on DAVIDs TEA’s tasting note. Nourish Tea is the brand you bought?

Taste 1: Vegetal
Taste 2: Sweet
Taste 3: Minerals
Intensity: Complex
Mouth Feel: Lively

Flavors: Sweet, Vegetal

MrQuackers

Did you guys just walk down to Walmart and pick up a tin of Nourish Tea, because I was drinking the same thing.