Spring 2018 Jingmai Gulan

Pu-erh Tea
Bamboo, Bok Choy, Cactus Flowers, Coconut, Grass, Marshmallow, Orchid
Edit tea info Last updated by brutusK
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 7 oz / 220 ml

• “Incredible example of Jingmai tea. Mouthfeel is light but full bodied. I taste well balanced flavors in here. From my experience with other teas, this is noticeably old tree material. The brew...” Read full tasting note
  • “Obtained through Sheng TTB#3 The dry smell of the dry leaf is extremely strong and sweet and thick. Its what I imagine snorting icing is like. Steeped for about 11 steeps, opening with a thick...” Read full tasting note

From Farmerleaf

This new edition of our flagship cake is a blend of several ancient tea gardens located on the main plateau at the top of Jingmai Mountain.We sourced teas from our own tea gardens as well as family relatives’, we waited until the end of the tea making run to taste each of the batches and blend them to make our final products.

The plateau has an average altitude of 1600m and is covered by a large semi-opened forest. Tall trees give shade to the tea trees. The soil is sandy, improper for cereal or vegetable cultivation, tea gardens were established several centuries ago in that location, some sources mention tea production and trade as early as the 9th Century. Since the terrain is relatively flat, a thick layer of autumn leaves accumulates on the ground. In the most shaded parts, the soil is dark and smells very good, a sign of a high concentration of organic matter, which binds the few clay available and greatly improves the water and nutrient retention capability of the soil.

The tea has a medium bitterness which disappear quickly and brings plenty of lingering sweetness. The orchid fragrance, typical of Jingmai tea, is easily noticeable. The soup is full-bodied and oily. The Huigan comes early in the session and stays in your throat for a long time. It can be brewed for ten to twenty strong infusions.

About Farmerleaf View company

Incredible example of Jingmai tea. Mouthfeel is light but full bodied. I taste well balanced flavors in here. From my experience with other teas, this is noticeably old tree material. The brew carries forth slow and steady cha qi and at its climax is floral and elevated with orchid flower notes. I described the taste of this tea to a friend while we were drinking: “This tea tastes like a bitter tree leaf that was dipped in orchid flower essence water mixed with coconut oil and then shaken off.” Great job Farmerleaf I’m continually impressed.

Flavors: Bamboo, Bok Choy, Cactus Flowers, Coconut, Grass, Marshmallow, Orchid

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 7 OZ / 220 ML

Steeped for about 11 steeps, opening with a thick texture and an almost painful chemical sweetness which was odd, hadn’t had that in a sheng before. It ALMOST has a huigan but not quite there yet, I think this needs more time. By middle steeps develops some up front bitterness to counterbalance the sweetness, And steeps out very sweet. Not unpleasant, and overall very enjoyable, but I think needs to rest a little longer before I can truly evaluate if this is worth the price.