Matcha au Lait - Caramel

Matcha Tea
Caramel, Cream, Grass, Sweet, Vegetal
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.
Iced 10 oz / 295 ml

From Lupicia

An exquisite caramel-flavored matcha drink made with an elegant, highly aromatic matcha from Uji, Kyoto.Just add milk to this matcha au lait mixture. A rich milky taste with a light astringency and a sweet aftertaste. You may use hot water in place of milk to enjoy a quick aromatic matcha drink. Can be easily prepared using a heat-resistant mug in a microwave.

*Contains granulated sugar

About Lupicia View company

I am almost out of this :(. I think I only have one more serving left after this cup but I must say I am throughly enjoying my cup – I think this is my best milk to water ratio yet.

I loved this. Tasty, creamy, slightly sweet, great balance with the matcha. I can see this one turning into a guilty pleasure. Delicious!

gmathis

OK, I have GOT to get on the matcha wagon soon—these all sound so good. Southwest Missouri doesn’t have a clue what loose leaf tea is, let along matcha :)

RachanaC (Rachel)-iHeartTeas

You should get some. It really isn’t expensive and worth the experience. If you want pure matcha try Do Matcha.

Today I made Lupicia’s Caramael Matcha au Lait mix like this:
1. Two teaspoons of matcha powder in the cup
2. Cup half-filled with hot water
3. Whisk stir whisk stir.
4. Fill the rest of the cup with 2% milk (because i don’t like drinking hot hot tea, the cold milk cooled the drink to the perfect temperature)
5. Whisk stir whisk stir.
6. GULP GULP YUM YUM.

It was pretty good. Kinda creamy. I can’t say that I get a strong sense of ‘caramel’ from the drink. Just green tea, with perhaps a hint of burnt sugar. Maybe I put too much milk in, and it was drowned out? But that doesn’t seem right, since the tea was pretty thick. shrug

jessica

ha ha this sounds delicious… but too bad it sorta flopped…
have you tried adding soy milk instead? it tends to be lighter or rice milk?

Suzi

I’ll have to pick some up next time at the market, it seems worth a shot!

jessica

woot. i know how it feels when you flop..

I totally should have sifted this because it took forever stirring and trying to smash up matcha clumps but the good thing is that it took so long that the hot milk cooled to easy driving temperature by the time I was done. I used soy milk and it was soooooo good but maybe too thick so maybe I should water it down with a bit of water next time. It was a little clumpy at the end since the matcha settled so the matcha taste was really strong at the end. So I need to mix well next time… Or I could’ve added some hot water to draw it out.

Home – 10:00 AM

This is from the autumn Matcha au Lait sampler – which came with plain, caramel, soybean powder, and chestnut mixes.

A couple of lessons learned:

1. The milk frother that I bought works way too well for this application. I ended up with about 300ml of creamy foam (and 0ml of liquid) from my original 150ml of soy milk! XD So props to the manufacturer, and next time I’ll have to stir it by hand and then froth a bit at the end to whisk the lumps…

2. The instructions on my packet are entirely in Japanese, except for the “150ml milk” and a number “1” with a kanji next to a picture of the packet. I, of course, I assumed this meant 150ml for the entire packet. It certainly does not. I think perhaps they meant 1 teaspoon of powder for 150ml of milk, because on their website it recommends 2 heaping teaspoons for 8 ounces of milk…

Anyway! After my epic adventure of making this beverage, I ended up with about 10 ounces of soy milk for the packet of about 1 tablespoon (11g) of mix. And the finished volume is huge, because it’s still half foam. At least it’s well-mixed! XD

It’s tasty, if I do say so myself. And it definitely doesn’t as much sugar as the David’s Tea matchas. Even with my sweetened soy milk, it’s not too sweet. The matcha is smooth with grassy and vegetal notes, and no bitterness. I’m not sure how much I can taste caramel, maybe a little bit, but it’s certainly not strong.

And don’t forget to join us next time on “Misadventures in Matcha” with your host, Cameron B.!

Flavors: Caramel, Cream, Grass, Sweet, Vegetal

Iced 3 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML
Arby

I have the same problem with some soy milks. notably, Silk and So Delicious brands. Foam fo’ days

Cameron B.

Well, I’m glad it’s not just me. :P

Next time I may go with the “dissolve in a small amount of hot water and then dilute with cold soy milk” approach.

Mastress Alita

I have two packages of this, which say to stir two teaspoons into a cup of milk and microwave, but I prefer to use a milk frother too. I was using the strawberry au lait but got good results. I did the two teaspoons mix with one cup of vanilla almond milk, and I use my milk frother WITHOUT the frothing attachment (the little “spring coil” piece) so instead it just stirs really really fast and heats the milk at the same time. Then I get matcha that is whisked really nicely, and at least with the almond milk, it isn’t really foamy except for a tiny bit of bubbles on the top (I don’t like my really foamy).

It’s starting to get warm out, and I just couldn’t face a steamy hot beverage this morning, so a nice cold glass of iced matcha latte sounded like a good plan. Super easy to make, and the tiny clumps of powder ended up dissolving into the milk with no problem. Lightly sweet, creamy, nice matcha flavor, and quite satisfying, although I couldn’t detect any caramel notes. Not a lot of the mix comes in the bag, so I may end up going through this rather quickly.

2 tsp

(182!)
So I appreciate the chance to try matcha from a different company, but this just isn’t doing it for me. Red Leaf makes me happier. It’s ok Lupicia, you make great blends. Don’t worry about the matcha.

And thanks VariaTEA for letting me try this out!

Dustin

I really didn’t enjoy Lupicia’s flavored matchas either. Kind of a bummer that they flop so hard on this when they do other flavored teas so well!

Cavocorax

It’s strange, eh? At least they rock at everything else!

This is thick and very vegetal. It is also incredibly sweet with an aftertaste of caramel. Thank you to both Dustin and jump62359 for sharing but I think the rest will be passed along for others to try as this is just not for me.

is it just really sweet?

VariaTEA

Overly sweet and incredibly grassy.

It’s freakin 11:30am AND I JUST WOKE UP.
Dude. This is my coffee in the morning okay. Nice and perfectly creamy with my vanilla almond milk! A sad sipdown, but next time I take a trip to Lupicia, I’ll definitely pick up a pack of their other flavours :)