Chinese Breakfast Yunnan Black Tea

A Black Tea from

Rating

78 / 100

Calculated from 28 Ratings
Do you recommend this tea?
Recommend to Facebook friends
Review this tea
Save to your wishlist
Add to your cupboard
Edit tea info

Sipdown no. 86 of the year 2014. Four bags left. Four people in the house. Breakfast!

This is one of my “starter” teas that I’m really going to miss. It’s a Numi I’d consider stocking.

A few months ago I was at a pizza place near work and ordered iced tea to drink. The tea was incredibly tasty and asked what it was. It was this.

Wonderful, deep, malty, sweet flavor. Yum. Bumping the rating.

Read full tasting note

Now I’m being surprised by a tea bag. This is really a very good yunnan tea. It has that raisiny sugar smell and is brisk and robust. I wouldn’t put this tea on the level of a Rishi or LeafSpa yunnan, but it is really good. I bought this to take on vacation and decided to try one. I found a very good price at T.J.Maxx.

Read full tasting note

1 bag for 250mL water, bare.

Got frustrated with the writing today and took a trip to a nearby mall, ending up in Winners, where I found some forlorn and battered boxes of Numi teabags. I bought the two boxes of “Numi’s Assortment,” mostly to get a few old faves in there; I adore Numi’s Aged Earl Grey and Monkey King Jasmine. A few others in there I really want to try, too.

To my surprise: one bag per box of Numi’s Chinese Breakfast Yunnan Black Tea. Oooh, a new China black tea to try.

Very good. Especially for a bagged tea. Bit of malt, faint bits of honey and smoke, and a nice pepper bite. Mineral finish. (I guess that’s what the Numi ad copy called “spring water” in the finish.) Refreshing. I love Yunnan black tea, and I really wish Numi was easier to find in NL. I will try to re-steep the bag, but my hopes aren’t high.

Read full tasting note

Mine & Tony’s favorite breakfast joint has the Numi Box, which has been depleted for weeks. We went to breakfast this morning, & they finally refilled it, so I had a few cups of this.

This is decent for a bagged tea, with enough of the yunnan taste & texture to satisfy. It also features an interesting light Shu-like aged straw essence, as if they mixed a little Shu in to give it some additional depth.

Description

This noble tea is grown in the mist covered mountains of Yunnan province. What distinguishes this fine, organic black tea is its perfect sense of balance, exquisite tiger’s eye color, and a lean vibrancy which makes it suitable at any time of day. Like a complex wine, it is the perfect tea for food, marrying well with a wide variety of dishes. It has a distant and hard to place floral quality, yet it leaves the mouth tasting as clean as spring water. And it energizes the body and mind more harmoniously than the best of coffees. We are proud to bring you this high grade leaf.

Certified Organic