Sencha Ariake

Green Tea
Green Tea
Creamy, Garden Peas, Grass, Spinach, Sweet, Mineral, Ocean Air, Seaweed, Smooth, Vegetal, Toasted, Umami
Loose Leaf, Sachet
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “As part of my Hannukah gift, my sister got me a box of single origin teas from Palais Des Thes. Thankfully the box is mostly black teas, which are really the ones I tend to drink straight. However,...” Read full tasting note
  • “Palais Des Thes Advent Calendar Day 8: The steeping parameters on the sachet and the website do differ a little bit so keep that in mind. I was happy to see that today’s tea is a Sencha. Sencha is...” Read full tasting note
  • “Muslin sachet, 75 degrees, 90+ seconds. I unpacked it from foil wrapping expexting at most pyramid sachet. But It was muslin one. At least I think it is a muslin one. That was nice surprise. I...” Read full tasting note
  • “Palais des Thés Advent Calendar – Day 8 (from November backlog) Hmm, a plain sencha. Don’t get me wrong, I love sencha, but I certainly wouldn’t order it from Palais des Thés… That being said,...” Read full tasting note

From Palais des Thes

The mildest of the great Sencha teas, great for the morning.

Produced in the province of Kyushu, Sencha Ariake is the mildest of the great Sencha teas.

Very invigorating and flowery, it is very pleasing in the morning.

Tea and food pairings:
Sencha Ariake pairs extremely well with grilled fish such as salmon, bass, sea bream, or red mullet and with seafood such as shrimps, scallops or clams.
For dessert lovers, Sencha Ariake is delicious with berries mousse or sorbet.

About Palais des Thes View company

As part of my Hannukah gift, my sister got me a box of single origin teas from Palais Des Thes. Thankfully the box is mostly black teas, which are really the ones I tend to drink straight. However, a couple plain greens are in there, including this one. With that in mind, I am working on filling a TTB and am trying to include both straight teas and flavored. I am also trying to have a variety of tea types and so I figured that I would give this a try and toss the rest into the TTB, since the likelihood I would drink it over other options, even if I like it, is low.

As someone who doesn’t drink greens, I think this is decent quality. Mild flavor. Not overly grassy. No bitterness. It has notes of sweet spinach. Sort of creamy. Honestly, as far as greens go, its nice but it is still a plain green tea that I don’t care to drink again.

Palais Des Thes Advent Calendar Day 8:
I was happy to see that today’s tea is a Sencha. Sencha is one of my favorite teas and I especially love plain green teas. I feel like I need to point out that it’s been quite awhile since I’ve had a plain Sencha and have been wanting to get some for my cupboard for quite awhile now.
This is a really nice Sencha no bitterness and has a lovely delicate flavor. This one doesn’t have as many of the strong vegetal or seaweed notes that a lot of people don’t care for in green tea. I would definitely consider purchasing this but I wouldn’t go out of my way to get this one specifically. The Resteep was nice as well!

Flavors: Creamy, Garden Peas, Grass, Spinach, Sweet

175 °F / 79 °C 8 OZ / 236 ML
Cameron B.

I’ll have to send you some, I’m overflowing with Obubu tea!

Lexie Aleah

Aww Thanks. I can find somethings to send you in return.

Muslin sachet, 75 degrees, 90+ seconds.

I unpacked it from foil wrapping expexting at most pyramid sachet. But It was muslin one. At least I think it is a muslin one. That was nice surprise. I boiled the water and let it cool down on its own. No fridge, no ice – just slowly cooling down. Then it hit 75 °C mark and I put the bag in.

After recommended (half between Cameron B’s and half what is written) I took from yellowish-green liquor sachet out. It is clear, nice colour.

In taste it is nice grassy tea with notes of spinach I think. Quite unexpected – sweet.

Pretty easydrinking sencha – with not so complex flavours. But I understand it is nice for morning – they even suggest it. Let’s see how it will wake me up :)

Flavors: Grass, Spinach, Sweet

165 °F / 73 °C 1 min, 30 sec 10 OZ / 300 ML

2078 tasting notes

Palais des Thés Advent Calendar – Day 8 (from November backlog)

That being said, this is a very pleasant sencha with a simple flavor of vegetal spinach and grass. There’s a nice sweetness and a creamy body, and a little hint of umami as well, in the form of roasted seaweed.

Is it complex? No. But it is very enjoyable to casually sip on the couch.

Flavors: Creamy, Grass, Seaweed, Smooth, Spinach, Sweet, Toasted, Umami, Vegetal

175 °F / 79 °C 1 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

This is ok. It’s a little weaker than I typically like for this time of year especially. This might be a nice summer tea.

It’s… fine? It tastes fine, it’s not bad or anything. It’s just not noteworthy. It tastes like a basic Japanese sencha. Lightly grassy. I feel like this can become bitter more easily than average, but once you figure out what works for you it’s fine.

It’s probably not fair to imbibe Palais des Thés Sencha Ariake so soon after having enjoyed ichiban sencha and gyokuro, but it was the luck of the brew.

Sencha Ariake brews up quite a bit more yellow than I was expecting. The temperature was lower than their prescribed 75C, and I kept the brewing time short. Still, the liquor ended up looking more like the color (bright yellow veering gold, not green) I expect to see in a second infusion of many green teas…

The taste is good but less smooth and closer to a bagged green than a true sencha. I am using the muslin cotton sachets, which have the same sort of cotton stitching as the Mighty Leaf Sachets and have the same droopy look. The size is similar to that of the Kusmi muslin sachets.

I don’t know, but the dried tea seemed heartier than I am accustomed to seeing for sencha. It might be that they need to use something a bit more rough-hewn so that the particles will not all rush through the large pores of these cotton sacks.

This tea is pretty good for a bagged green tea, not so great for a sencha. Will not restock once this small supply (from two large sample set boxes) has been depleted.

(Blazing New Rating #47)

165 °F / 73 °C 2 min, 0 sec 2 g 9 OZ / 266 ML
SimpliciTEA

I really like all of the detail and finer observations you provided here.

sherapop

Thank you, simplicitea!

I picked up a sample of this higher quality sencha the last time I was at Le Palais des Thés. The employee sholdn’t have asked me if I wanted any free samples, because preparing them all kept him busy for quite some time.
So today I was in the mood to try something new. As soon as I emptied the sample bag into my clay kyusu (love that high pitched “cling” sound as the dry leaves hit the pot) I started to notice very fresh aromas of cucumber and freshly mowed grass. Sweeter and hay – like aromas appeared when I poured hot water over the leaves. After a minute I poured the tea into my tall glazed ceramic cup (that I made myself). At this point, the prevailing smell was that of cotton candy or bubble gum – strange as it may sound.
As for the taste itself – it was silky smooth, light and only slightly bitter towards the end.
The final verdict – I am not sure. While I like this tea quite a bit, I am stil a newbie and I am not really good at telling apart different taste and aroma nuances. But what bothers me at this tea is the price. I do not thnk it is really worth 15 EUR per 100 g, especially if you are a beginner (as I am). I have drank much cheaper teas that were equally good for me. But I am aware that many sencha enthusiasts would be able to appreciate this tea much more.

165 °F / 73 °C 1 min, 0 sec 4 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

mostly broken leaves. light grassy fragrance. dominated by roasted flavors. mellow overall.