Yuchi Wild Mountain Black Tea, Lot 641

Berries, Cocoa, Cream, Molasses, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Chrysostom
Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 5 oz / 140 ml

• “Second tea of my Taiwanese black tea sampler. The Sun Moon Lake T-18 was bust but this one did not disappoint. The long, graceful yancha like leaves are interspersed with orange twigs and smell...” Read full tasting note
  • “Received this tea as a sample with my massive December order. Normally don’t drink a lot of black tea with the exception of bud teas like Jin Jun Mei or Dian Hong, so I was excited to give this a...” Read full tasting note

From Taiwan Tea Crafts

This is possibly the easiest black tea to drink in our selection. It is very distinctive and unique in taste and, might we add, rare! It is made from a wild tea strain indegenous to Taiwan called: Shan Cha (mountain tea). There’s nothing bold or brash about this tea, we are not in the same category as powerful assams. This is a subtle charming tea, yet extremely satisfying, with a good body and with surprising stamina! The taster will be greeted with a pleasant aroma of baked oats with buttered sweetness and a discreet floral note of wild rose will charm the nose as soon as the leaves are heated by the boiling water. The liqueur is all smoothness with a light refreshing quench. The taste is all pleasant and round with evocations of pastries and baked sweets with fruit compote notes similar to japanese white peaches. This October 2017 production proposes an intriguing yet subtle spicy character that hints on anise and cinnamon. What surprises the palate is the inviting suppleness of this tea that makes you want to drink cup after cup after cup. If black is not your usual cup, this is the tea that will convert you! This is a must try tea!

About Taiwan Tea Crafts View company

Second tea of my Taiwanese black tea sampler. The Sun Moon Lake T-18 was bust but this one did not disappoint. The long, graceful yancha like leaves are interspersed with orange twigs and smell like a mixture of cocoa, flowers, berries, and dark molasses. I brewed 3g in a 160ml teapot following my standard gongfu method for black teas: 30s initial infusion at boiling followed by flash steeps.

The first steep opened with sweet potato and then as it cooled, revealed chocolate and a hint of blackberries. Subsequent steeps were noticeably lighter. The second steep tasted of cocoa with overtones of vanilla bean and buttercream. The remaining 3 steeps were similar with prominent notes of berries, vanilla, and cream.

This was a mellow and tasty black tea that doesn’t hit you over the head with anything. The flavor profile was similar to some wuyi black and lapsang teas I’ve had. Enjoyable but doesn’t really set itself apart from other Chinese black teas.

Flavors: Berries, Cocoa, Cream, Molasses, Vanilla

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 3 g 5 OZ / 160 ML
Daylon R Thomas

That still sounds good.

Received this tea as a sample with my massive December order. Normally don’t drink a lot of black tea with the exception of bud teas like Jin Jun Mei or Dian Hong, so I was excited to give this a try. Happy to say that Taiwan Tea Crafts has impressed once again!

The dry leaves were surprisingly aromatic. Notes of candied apricots, plums, and fruit leather. The wet leaves, however, were much more interesting with a spicy/sweet combination reminiscent of cinnamon rolls beneath a familiar black tea earthiness.

I took this for five steepings at 6/3/6/8/10 seconds accordingly. I was starting to get a little jittery after five, since I was drinking alone, but could very easily have taken this tea for more. The liquor was light amber with a medium body and an immediate hit of stone fruit sweetness on the palate. Plums were the dominant flavor to me but dates, figs, and candied apricots all came through as well. There was a spiciness like cinnamon beneath the surface if you looked for it. Flavor was consistent through the first four infusions with maybe a slight shift toward the teas spicier notes in the fifth.

Overall, a pleasantly sweet black tea with no overwhelming or imbalanced flavors. I could definitely see this tea becoming one of the go-to black teas in my shelf.

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 4 OZ / 120 ML