Magnolia Oolong

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Butter, Cream, Floral, Green, Nutty, Butterscotch, Flowers, Kettle Corn, Lychee, Pepper, Strawberry, Brown Sugar, Jasmine, Oats, Peach, Pear, Peppercorn, Stewed Fruits, Sweet, Dried Fruit, Hazelnut, Mineral, Vegetal, Cactus Flowers, Nectar, Stems, Thick
Loose Leaf, Sachet
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Teaave

8 Images

• “Drinking up this sample tonight mostly western style (200mL teapot, 1.5-2min steeps). Overall, the flavor on this one is lighter than I realized. Opening up the sample bag, I was met with a...” Read full tasting note
  • “This has been my favorite oolong from Tea Ave so far. It’s a perfect balance of rich and buttery, with bright mineral green and floral notes. It’s just so appealing to smell and taste, super...” Read full tasting note
  • “Received a sample and overwatered it so I’m afraid I missed some flavor. A delicate, floral oolong as expected. Faint whiff of oatmeal and silky honey. Very comforting and would like to try it with...” Read full tasting note
  • “Purchased for summer cold-brewing purposes. Didn’t sample before. I had only one Magnolia Oolong prior to Tea Ave’s – from Tea District – and loved it. I immediately declared this floral oolong to...” Read full tasting note

From Tea Ave

Our Magnolia Oolong is prepared using the ancient method, in which the tea absorbs the flower fragrance during the baking progress, producing a scented tea that’s aromatic and flavorful without using any additives or chemicals.

Known for its calming qualities, Magnolia oolong is a sumptuous, exotic tea, perfect for imagining yourself breathing in the fresh air of the Alishan Mountains—even if you rarely travel further than your local farmers’ market. Light and pure-tasting, Magnolia oolong is a highly refined tea with an appealing sweet flavor and warm floral notes. Go ahead, start unwinding.

About Tea Ave View company

Drinking up this sample tonight mostly western style (200mL teapot, 1.5-2min steeps). Overall, the flavor on this one is lighter than I realized. Opening up the sample bag, I was met with a delicate, sweet floral smell that I can’t exactly describe. This is a flavored tea (as far as I recall!) though the brew came out quite light in both color and flavor. It’s smooth and has a sweetness to it, as well as a gentle floral note. I can’t quite pick up on any flavoring (magnolia?) but overall it’s quite tasty, if not a little light.

Second brew I left in for longer, and definitely got more flavor out of it. It’s a very bright yellow color, and reminds me of a jasmine tea in its flavor profile. Maybe a little bit on the sweeter side, with almost a rose-petal sort of note showing up. Overall, a well rounded mouth feel and generally enjoyable, though I find it to be somewhat underwhelming. Maybe decent for a casual drink, but not that interesting all things considered.

This has been my favorite oolong from Tea Ave so far. It’s a perfect balance of rich and buttery, with bright mineral green and floral notes. It’s just so appealing to smell and taste, super smooth and drinkable. Not too savory, not too sweet. I would definitely order this again.

Flavors: Butter, Cream, Floral, Green, Nutty

Received a sample and overwatered it so I’m afraid I missed some flavor.

A delicate, floral oolong as expected. Faint whiff of oatmeal and silky honey. Very comforting and would like to try it with more leaf and something like hemp milk.

6 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

Purchased for summer cold-brewing purposes. Didn’t sample before.

I had only one Magnolia Oolong prior to Tea Ave’s – from Tea District – and loved it. I immediately declared this floral oolong to be my favorite cold-brewing tea. I looked forward to trying Tea Ave’s. The base is a higher quality Alishan oolong, which is light and sweetly floral, blending very nicely with the magnolia flowers. (I’m not one to pick out specific flowers in floral oolongs, and that’s as detailed as I’ll get.) Neither overpowers the other.

Overall, I wasn’t disappointed. I got exactly what I wanted: an incredibly delicious and refreshing Magnolia Oolong that detracts from the feeling of high humidity suffocating the self.

MrQuackers

Magnolias are such beautiful trees with large flowers. Surprisingly, we have a few this far North.

KiwiDelight

They sure are. They’re a popular yard tree where I live. It’s a joy to see them every spring.

I love this one – a perfect combination of creamy, nutty and sweet floral with a hint of fresh green stems. Gorgeous fragrance. Brewed several cups hot and then cold steeped the used leaves in the fridge for a refreshing glass of chilled tea the next day.

LuckyMe

I had this one today. Very unique and super floral!

caile

Yay! I like the floral in it lot. :)

This is quite a lovely and interesting oolong from Tea Ave. I got this a few weeks ago and am just getting around to trying it now. Due to being at work, I had to steep it Western style but hope to try the gong fu method soon.

The tea has an Alishan Jin Xuan (milk) oolong base. I definitely get the strong milk oolong element. It reminds me of fresh butter and has a creamy taste; almost decadent. The magnolia flower is light and fresh here and compliments the base tea well. Overall the bouquet of this tea is sweet but I am picking up on a very slight bitterness in the finish. I like this one a lot. It seems like the perfect thing to serve at an afternoon tea party.

ashmanra

This is my favorite Tea Ave offering so far.

Equusfell

I snapped some up in the free shipping sale last month… love it!

TeaBrat

It’s really good :)

The first time I steeped this tea, I think I used too much leaf – I went with 6g for my 100ml gaiwan (because the instructions said 8g for a 130ml gaiwan), and it was ok, but there was a bitter note that I found distracting, and it was more vegetal and less floral than I was hoping for. This time around, 4.5g in the same gaiwan, and that worked way better. The scent of the dry tea is very fragrant and sweet, like candied flowers. I did a quick wash, which I tasted, and it was lightly sweet and floral, just a preview of things to come. :) I think i steeped it for 30sec, then 1min, then added another minute for each subsequent steeping, finally getting bored after the 5min one. It was actually really tasty throughout. Initial steepings were very fragrant and floral, like sticking your nose in a bouquet of flowers. Then some light, fresh, vegetal flavours started coming in, balanced with the floral, so it was like eating the flowers? And then the floral faded even further and the vegetal became crisper with a faint hint of bitterness, as if you’re now munching on tender stems or leaves. So basically it’s like eating a flower, but in tea form, lol. This is a terrible description, but the tea was actually quite lovely. :)

4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

I had a much better experience, both gongfu and western, with this tea (#–3) than with the rose oolong. It’s been a long time since I had a magnolia oolong, so it’s hard for me to compare, but I did really enjoy this one. After using it in our gongfu session last weekend, I had a little over my normal quantity of leaf, but what was I going to do with half a teaspoon? So I used all of it but lowered my steep time to compensate.

I think perhaps the magnolia works better with the base? Here I get the creaminess from the Jin Xuan that I was missing in the rose oolong. The florals are thick and rich, but in no way overwhelming or perfumy. Just that they have body and substance. Magnolia can be slightly jasmine-y in flavor, I find, and I get hints of it here. A little fruitiness. Overall a very nice oolong.

I’m not really sure what a magnolia tastes like.. I did enjoy this tea, however. I’m not really sure I could identify a magnolia flavor – it just tasted floral with a slight sweetness. To me, I would have guessed rose if you asked me what flavor it was. It’s definitely a good experience though :)
Thanks, Stephanie!

Flavors: Floral

5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Stephanie

Welcome!

Magnolias are one of my favorite flowers. I love how the trees just burst into color with the extravagant, large blooms with their sweet floral scent. Much like the fresh flowers, the scent of this tea is not a heady perfumey kind of floral. It’s a fruity, sweet, very candy-like one. I’m reminded of fruit candy… maybe something like lychee, when smelling the dry leaves in a warm gaiwan, I can also smell the creamy buttery scent of the Jin Xuan oolong quite strongly. The pair very well.

I’ll be fair and say I have high expectations from this tea, due to my love of magnolias and how impressive the other scented Tea Ave oolongs were that I’ve tried, so here goes! I’m nervous.

I’ll admit, the brewed leaves in the gaiwan smell like sweet kettle corn, buttery and toasty with a hint of sweetness. Wasn’t expecting that! What an interesting aroma. I’m enjoying this tea using the Tea Ave aroma cups. The scent of the first infusion is very light in the cup, a really soft floral, it lingers a little more strongly in the brewed liquor than in the aroma cup this time. The aroma and taste are both very light and just a bit fruity. It reminds me a little bit of strawberry. It blends so well with the Jin Xuan cultivar tea leaves. This is such a smooth and delicate tea. Wonderful.

On the second infusion, I can definitely smell the aroma in the aroma cup more, and it smells just like a fresh magnolia! Wow! It’s still quite delicate with aromas of dew and floral. It’s odd thinking of how jasmine tea is sort of the standard and most widely made floral scented tea. I wonder how that came to be? Because this magnolia is so much nicer than any jasmine tea I’ve had. It’s more subtle and in that sense so much more perplexing and tasty. Maybe magnolia flowers are simply more difficult or expensive to grow and use for scenting. Who knows.

By the third infusion, the wet leaves smell like white pepper, which happens to have a buttery scent to it to if you go grab some of the dry powder and (carefully) smell some of it. The taste is more of the same flavors as before, perhaps with a bit more of the vegetal taste of the oolong and a little bit less of the sweet floral.

I am trying to kick the habit of writing long reviews other than for teas that change dramatically from one infusion to the next well into the late infusions, so I’ll end this here so I can go and enjoy the tea. I will update if I notice anything really different, but with most floral scented teas the flavor is pretty consistent between infusions, so as far as the specific notes you may find in this tea, I think I’ve covered my bases.

100/100! This is my favorite floral scented tea I’ve had at this point. Great stuff!

Infusion times: 45, 25, 20, 25, 30, 45, 60

UPDATE

On my second time with this tea I got really strong notes of butterscotch in both the scent and flavor. Not sure how I missed that the first time. It was like butterscotch cookies or schnapps. My friend thought the same.

Flavors: Butter, Butterscotch, Cream, Flowers, Kettle Corn, Lychee, Pepper, Strawberry

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 45 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML