Southern Malt

Black Tea Leaves
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy

1 Tasting Note View all

From teakruthi

Pure Ceylon Black tea (BOP1)

Loose leaf · From Ruhuna (a.k.a. Southern or Matara) region

This low grown tea has been hand-plucked from the southern part of Sri Lanka, where the unique composition of the soil makes it particularly special in taste and colour. This blend is considered one of the finest broken teas. Its rare, refined quality has made this tea a favourite in Russia and Germany. So, what makes our Southern Malt so special? This is a full-bodied tea has a malty, fresh flavour, unlike any other tea. The southern soil of Sri Lanka nourished the leaves and gave them their black colour and brought strength to the cup. Its beautiful copper colour mirrors its taste in richness.

Aroma
Roasted almonds
Liquor
Copper
Taste
Malty, fresh, full bodied

Health benefits of our Southern Malt tea

Southern Malt is the perfect alternative to coffee, providing a healthy dose of caffeine to get going. Southern Malt is rich in antioxidants that help reduce cholesterol and the risk of heart disease, and contain Polyphenols have been shown to reduce the risk of Breast and Ovarian Cancer in women and Prostate Cancer in men.

About teakruthi View company

1 Tasting Note

Another of my samples from teakruthi and, in my opinion, another winner as well!

The leaf style of this black tea is really beautiful; and I was excited to see a tea from Rahuna in my selected samples – in general Sri Lankan teas from Rahuna/Kandy do often tend to be my favourites. This steeps up very lovely; it’s got a sweet and malty liquor aroma that’s immediately nostalgic and inviting for me. I like a great range of tea – and even within black tea specifically the different types I enjoy are super diverse. However, whenever I picture the “perfect” cup of black tea in my head it’s almost always full bodied and so, so malty!

This tastes incredible rich and malty, but has a lovely baked bread note to it too – like a loaf of whole wheat bread right out of the oven! Add to that subtle notes of raisin and buckwheat honey and this is pretty close to my perfect black tea profile; it’s just missing a little chocolate and stonefruit in the cup. But even still – damn smooth, enticing and easily drinkable!