Nepal Jun Chiyabari 'Himalayan Bouquet' Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy
185 °F / 85 °C 6 g 4 oz / 118 ml

From What-Cha

A hand-rolled oolong from one of Nepal’s most famous producers Jun Chiyabari, with a smooth floral taste of orange blossoms accompanied by a crisp finish.

Tasting Notes:
- Highly aromatic
- Smooth texture
- Floral orange blossom notes with a crisp finish

Harvest: First Flush, April 2016

- Heat water to roughly 85°C/185°F
- Use 2 teaspoons per cup/small teapot
- Brew for 2 minutes

About What-Cha View company

This is a good mood tea. Some teacher blues, and this made my night a little sunnier. I like this both Western and Gong Fu, and the orange blossom, green grape, mid sip grain note, honeysuckle, and violet combo is making love the crap out of this one. Also love the walnut and mega heavy dandelion notes.It pretty much has most of the qualities that I like in a greener oolong without being too green. I am tempted to get more, but I honestly want to savor this one over splerging on masses amount of it.

Keeping the Nepalese tea train going, I spent last night working my way through a sample pouch of this delicious oolong. At this point, I only have 4 grams left and I intend to use those for a multi-step Western session either later today or sometime tomorrow. I will be sad to see this tea go. I have enjoyed it greatly, finding it to be a truly exceptional tea.

I prepared this tea gongfu style. After a very quick rinse, I steeped 6 grams of loose tea leaves in a 4 ounce gaiwan filled with 185 F water for 5 seconds. This infusion was chased by 14 additional infusions. Steep times for these infusions were as follows: 7 seconds, 10 seconds, 15 seconds, 20 seconds, 25 seconds, 30 seconds, 40 seconds, 50 seconds, 1 minute, 1 minute 15 seconds, 1 minute 30 seconds, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, and 5 minutes.

Prior to the rinse, the dry tea leaves emitted aromas of fresh flowers, butter, and wood. After the rinse, I was able to pick out distinct impressions of daisy, marigold, dandelion, chrysanthemum, and violet, as well as grass and straw. The first infusion brought all of previously mentioned bouquet components together, though I also began to pick up on a hint of rose. In the mouth, the tea emphasized a melange of well-integrated floral flavors balanced by grass, straw, butter, and wood. Subsequent infusions allowed the floral flavors to separate in the mouth as the notes of grass, straw, butter, and wood strengthened. Impressions of minerals, vanilla, malt, honey, lemon zest, orange, and herbs also appeared. The later infusions were dominated by mineral, grass, straw, wood, and herb notes, though I could still detect touches of dandelion, violet, and butter lurking in the background.

As oolongs go, this one was very straightforward, but the aromas and flavors on display worked beautifully together. Those violet and rose impressions were particularly impressive. There were times when I felt like I was consuming the liquid equivalent of a violet pastille, yet I was reminded of rosewater Turkish delights at others. It was simply breathtaking. This one is definitely deserving of a recommendation to fans of intensely floral teas.

Flavors: Butter, Dandelion, Floral, Grass, Herbs, Honey, Lemon Zest, Malt, Mineral, Orange, Rose, Straw, Vanilla, Violet, Wood

185 °F / 85 °C 6 g 4 OZ / 118 ML
Daylon R Thomas

Jealy. That one went out of stock before I could grab it. I’m also very glad that Alistair has been showcasing so many Nepalese teas. I’ve started to find myself preferring them to some Chinese and Taiwaneese teas.