Taiwan Yu Chi 'Assam' Black Tea

Black Tea Leaves
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy
Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 6 g 6 oz / 177 ml

• “Insanely rich, brisk, smooth, balanced, and decadent. This tea would serve as a great breakfast tea to get you up in the morning or even a late lunch for a second waking, but I’m using it as a...” Read full tasting note
  • “Hi, everybody! It’s been a rather long time, hasn’t it? I’ll go ahead and admit that life has taken precedence over reviewing for the last couple of weeks. Work has been a killer for me, and I have...” Read full tasting note
  • “What-Cha, ya’ll are on POINT with selecting your Assams. This beaut is just perfection to start the day. Strong, brisk, rich, and not a bit of astringency. Wonderful big leaves, which I think...” Read full tasting note

From What-Cha

A Taiwanese black produced from Indian Assam cultivars originally planted during the 2nd World War, it has the full bodied malt taste typically associated with Assam along with the refined smoothness of a Taiwanese black coupled with a hint of sweetness.

Tasting Notes:
- Smooth taste
- Lingering malt with a touch of sweetness

Harvest: Summer, July 2017

- Use 2 teaspoons per cup/small teapot
- Brew for 2-3 minutes

Packaging: Non-resealable vacuum-sealed bag packaged in Taiwan

About What-Cha View company

Insanely rich, brisk, smooth, balanced, and decadent. This tea would serve as a great breakfast tea to get you up in the morning or even a late lunch for a second waking, but I’m using it as a dessert one for now. It pairs well with handpicked blackberries. There’s something about its leather character that kind of reminds me of Ancient Spirit. Maybe it’s the marshmellow note. Oh well, this remains as one superior Assam. I might rate it higher in the future, but 95 is my minimum so far. I can’t see myself drinking this one often because it is so powerful, and complex enough that it needs to be savored. If you love tea and good Assams, this is an excellent match.

Hi, everybody! It’s been a rather long time, hasn’t it? I’ll go ahead and admit that life has taken precedence over reviewing for the last couple of weeks. Work has been a killer for me, and I have had lots of personal stuff to deal with too. Even when I have had free time, I have not been able to force myself to post here. For whatever reason, I have just not been able to focus on writing. I’m still drinking tea like crazy, though, and I have been steadily building up quite a backlog in the space of the past month. This was one of my sipdowns from the first half of last month, and quite frankly, it is still a tea I think about often. I wish I had purchased more of it when I had the opportunity because this was a fantastic black tea.

I prepared this tea gongfu style. After a quick rinse, I steeped 6 grams of loose tea leaves in 4 ounces of 194 F water for 5 seconds. This infusion was chased by 17 additional infusions. Steep times for these infusions were as follows: 7 seconds, 9 seconds, 12 seconds, 16 seconds, 20 seconds, 25 seconds, 30 seconds, 40 seconds, 50 seconds, 1 minute, 1 minute 15 seconds, 1 minute 30 seconds, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 7 minutes, and 10 minutes.

Prior to the rinse, the dry tea leaves emitted aromas of malt, honey, baked bread, strawberry, blackberry, and red grape. After the rinse, I detected new aromas of sweet potato, roasted peanut, brown sugar, cocoa, plum, and menthol. The first infusion introduced aromas of candied orange, eucalyptus, and black cherry. The menthol scent also grew somewhat stronger. In the mouth, the tea liquor presented notes of sweet potato, malt, baked bread, cocoa, red grape, candied orange, plum, strawberry, brown sugar, and menthol that were backed by hints of black cherry, blackberry, cream, eucalyptus, and vanilla. The subsequent infusions brought out aromas of black currant, blueberry, cream, date, orange zest, vanilla, melon, wood, and marshmallow. Stronger and more immediate cream, black cherry, menthol, and vanilla notes appeared in the mouth along with impressions of honey and roasted peanut. I also noted impressions of minerals, blueberry, marshmallow, wood, black currant, red pear, date, red apple, and orange zest as well as some subtle hints of watermelon. As the tea settled and faded, I was left with impressions of minerals, malt, baked bread, wood, sweet potato, menthol, plum, cream, and orange zest that were underscored by subtle hints of black cherry, blackberry, blueberry, eucalyptus, brown sugar, honey, cocoa, and roasted peanut.

It is very rarely that a Taiwanese black tea disappoints me, but it is also a rare occurrence when one impresses me as much as this tea did. For a tea displaying such incredible depth and complexity, it was neither poorly balanced nor overwhelming. It was also incredibly lacking in astringency, rendering a smooth, silky liquor that was never lacking in approachability. Overall, this was a fantastic Taiwanese black tea. It even reminded me a bit of some of the more consistently hyped Taiwanese black teas to have gained a following on Steepster and elsewhere (Taiwanese Wild Mountain Black and Premium Taiwanese Assam, anyone?) but with one important difference: this tea may have been slightly better than most of them.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Black Currant, Blackberry, Blueberry, Brown Sugar, Candy, Cherry, Cocoa, Cream, Dates, Eucalyptus, Grapes, Honey, Malt, Marshmallow, Melon, Menthol, Mineral, Orange, Orange Zest, Peanut, Pear, Plums, Red Apple, Strawberry, Sweet Potatoes, Vanilla, Wood

6 g 4 OZ / 118 ML
Ubacat

Wow, that’s a lot of flavours in that tea! I haven’t left many reviews lately either for a long time. Somehow even though I enjoyed Steepster my reviews didn’t work for me when reordering. I could never find old reviews or I couldn’t sort by order of rating. These days I just record it on my Tea Excel report and note how much I liked it.

Evol Ving Ness

Wow indeed!

Daylon R Thomas

I almost got that one too. Now, I regret it.

derk

hey guy, hope all is well!

tea-sipper

BETTER than Butiki?!

eastkyteaguy

tea-sipper, maybe, or just as good at the very least. Whispering Pines’ current Taiwanese offerings are allegedly sourced from the same place as Butiki’s. Having had several of those teas and then trying this one, I can safely say this tea struck me as being at least as good if not just a little bit better.

What-Cha, ya’ll are on POINT with selecting your Assams. This beaut is just perfection to start the day. Strong, brisk, rich, and not a bit of astringency. Wonderful big leaves, which I think really improves an Assam. Can’t believe I just have a small portion. When I buy again, this will be be on list. I prefer this one hot, but I think it would be proper iced.

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML