2012 Huron Gold Needle Shou Pu-erh Cake

Pu-erh Tea
Pu Erh Tea
Brandy, Cacao, Cherry, Cocoa, Cream, Creamy, Earth, Roast nuts, Roasted, Roasted nuts, Smooth, Coffee, Mineral, Mushrooms, petrichor, Bitter, Wood, Chocolate, Dates, Clay, Decayed wood, Flowers, Irish Cream, Coconut, Vegetal, Spices, Moss, Berries, Dark Chocolate
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 15 oz / 443 ml

• “One of my favourite teas currently. Very strong taste that is consistent for the entire steeping session. I did a 5 second wash with ~3.5g, 90ml at 205F This steeps extremely quick when it’s...” Read full tasting note
  • “Drank a bit of this recently for the first time in a while. Very easy drinking, simple to enjoy. Nice, thick, smooth and soothing with a long-lasting session.” Read full tasting note
  • “Thanks mtchyg for the sample! I have done no reading on this tea, but was intrigued that it is made from golden needles apparently. Surprisingly, after a rinse in my small gongfu tea pot, I am...” Read full tasting note
  • “Received this cake in the mail yesterday so I’m spending some time with it this morning. The leaves separate from the cake fairly easy so that is nice. 10 second rinse. First infusion, 30...” Read full tasting note

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

The first private-label pu-erh pressing under the Great Lakes Label! These 100 gram cakes were pressed in October 2014 from Spring 2012 Xishuangbanna material, and are composed of 100% Gold Needle grade pu-erh, tested clean for pesticides and contaminants!

A beautiful pu-erh that was produced in Xishuangbanna province but stored away from the intense aging conditions there after production. All of the rough earthyness has faded already and this shou shows great potential for further aging. This high-grade shou pu-erh was an exciting find. Gold needle grade generally accounts for less than 0.5% of a fermentation batch, and is usually used sparingly to smooth out blends before pressing. Finding gold needle grade shou pu-erh is exceedingly difficult because of this.

Our Huron Gold Needle is the silkiest tea we have ever tasted. It feels at though there isn’t even tea in your mouth, and the flavors are being magically transported by a thick, weightless warm air. It floats across the tongue and down the throat on a carpet of moss, cocoa, and sweet fruit with a lasting creamy warmth in the aftertaste.

These cakes come packaged individually in 100% recycled heavy-weight envelopes, which are ideal for storing to age. These cakes have amazing aging potential, and will only get better!

There were 300 cakes produced, and only 30 available for the initial release. The rest will be available in February 2015.

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

One of my favourite teas currently.

Very strong taste that is consistent for the entire steeping session.

I did a 5 second wash with ~3.5g, 90ml at 205F

This steeps extremely quick when it’s prepared enough. A proper wash lets it hydrate and open up. First steep takes a little longer, about 10 seconds for a proper cup, but the next 5-10 steeps after that can be done in as little as 5 seconds.

I recommend leaving a seed inbetween each steep session. Just a little bit of water left in the gaiwan (or whatever tea receptacle you prefer) that will absorb a healthy amount of tea. The seed will mix with the fresh water for each steep, which gives you a very quick but very rich taste. The seed will not affect longevity of the tea, so you don’t have to worry about having less infusions out of it. But on the plus side, each cup of tea will be incredibly rich and strong which is A+ in my book.

Flavours are pretty similar to what’s posted in the profile above. Cacao, cocoa, creamy (extremely creamy. This tea feels like it coats your very being in warmness and smoothness), roasted nuts, brandy, a tiny bit earthy. A hidden hint of cherry if you brew it strong (when it goes to dark dark red in color).

Flavors: Brandy, Cacao, Cherry, Cocoa, Cream, Creamy, Earth, Roast nuts, Roasted, Roasted nuts, Smooth

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 3 g 3 OZ / 90 ML
Tiềnakhôngnhiềunhưng Tìnhyêuanhkhôngthiếu

Phương Lâm Flooring, Là công ty nhập khẩu và phân phối sản phẩm sàn gỗ công nghiệp từ những năm 2008, với thương hiệu độc quyền.
Công ty chuyên về lĩnh vực thiết kế, thi công và cung cấp các sản phẩm trang trí nội thất cao cấp. Chúng tôi sẽ mang đến cho khách hàng một cuộc sống hoàn hảo với phong cách hiện đại.
Pinax Floor & kaminax với 12 màu được ưa chuộng nhất hiện nay ( trong đó có 3 mặt sần và 9 mặt bóng).

CẦN TÌM ĐẠI LÝ PHÂN PHỐI KHU VỰC TRÊN TOÀN QUỐC SÀN GỖ NHẬP KHẨU

TOPFLOORMADE IN MALAYSIA
THAISUN – SÀN GỖ THÁI LAN
PINAX FLOOR
KAMINAX FLOOR

Liên hệ Mr Phương: 0985.038.883 để có báo giá hợp lý..

Tiềnakhôngnhiềunhưng Tìnhyêuanhkhôngthiếu

CẦN TÌM ĐẠI LÝ PHÂN PHỐI KHU VỰC TRÊN TOÀN QUỐC SÀN GỖ NHẬP KHẨU

TOPFLOORMADE IN MALAYSIA
THAISUN – SÀN GỖ THÁI LAN
PINAX FLOOR
KAMINAX FLOOR

Liên hệ Mr Phương: 0985.038.883 để có báo giá hợp lý..

Thanks mtchyg for the sample! I have done no reading on this tea, but was intrigued that it is made from golden needles apparently. Surprisingly, after a rinse in my small gongfu tea pot, I am surprised it smells quite like most other shou puerh teas I’ve had, a bit musty with quiet notes of petrichor. Maybe I expected a lighter or sweeter smell from the golden needles. I will say the color of the liquor is really lovely, a deep garnet red-brown.

Maybe I was expecting something sweeter from the golden needles, I’m not sure, but I was definitely expecting smooth, and in that regard this tea does not disappoint. It definitely has a smooth texture and flavor. The flavor is hard to pin down. Cacao, mineral, and wood are noticeable, with a bit of bitterness. The aftertaste really lingers and is mostly woody.

The liquor of the second infusion gives off a common scent for me in shou that I really enjoy, which smells like pastry dough. Again, the flavor is quite smooth, and it rolls off nicely into a subtle bitterness similar to that of dark chocolate. The flavor of this tea is really dark. I think there is a subtle hint of prune as well. In some ways, I’m reminded of coffee.

The third infusion is really mineral and reminds me of petrichor scent when the rain starts. The tea is rather cooling on the mouth and throat, though this is after I have let some cool down nearly to just a bit above room temperature. I find it really enjoyable this way though. The cooling sensation is very quenching and the flavor is smooth.

The fourth infusion is more mellow and sweet, with similar flavors, maybe a touch of tobacco.

Overall a good shou, though not as peculiar as I had hoped for the fact it is made of golden needles.

Flavors: Bitter, Cacao, Coffee, Mineral, petrichor, Wood

10 second rinse.

First infusion, 30 seconds. The tea is already a deep cherry mahogany color. The flavor had the familiar ripe puerh notes but there was a hint of bitterness for me. That was a little surprising since I don’t remember reading anything about bitterness in most people’s reviews. Onward!

Second infusion, 15 seconds. The bitterness fades a bit but is still there in the middle and back of the tongue. I can however see what people are meaning when they say a smooth airy quality. This is a very light feeling tea that glides over the mouth and down the throat.

Third infusion, 30 seconds. Okay. There is the sweet spot. Warm, creamy, slight chocolate notes. Again, just reeaallly easy drinking. Found myself swallowing/gulping rather than sipping on this steep. Oops heh. The color of the liquid appears as a hazelnut brown.

Fourth infusion, 45 seconds. The color has lightened ever so slightly here. Still in the same color zone but just… lighter. This steep is much like the last one. Smooth and creamy. Picking up scents and flavors of cocoa.

Random thought break. I’ve taken to listening to “nature sounds” on Pandora or Spotify when I am able to brew gong fu while I am alone. Things like, “Rocky Seacoast” and “Babbling Brook in a Sunny Field at Noon.” Anyone else do this? I find it sets such a nice mood, relaxes me, and fully immerses me in the oneness of the tea drinking experience. Could be I’m just a super nerd though… Nah… heh.

Fifth steep, 2 min. While following along on the website for the steeping suggestions with this tea, my mind went, “45 seconds to 2 minutes? Whoa, really?” But my silly mind apparently doesn’t know what my heart knows by now. Trust Brenden with your tea experience. So I did. And, of course, this 2 minute steep is actually one of my favorites so far. Yes, it is getting a bit lighter but it is allowing other flavors to develop on the tongue. Or maybe the same flavors are there but because it is lighter they are playing a different song in my mouth.

Hey speaking of playing a different song, I’m now listening to what is titled, “Torrential Thunderstorm,” but the thunderstorm in question sounds off in the distance, in the background, and at the forefront is the sound of pouring water. Like, a storm drain emptying continuously into a shallow pool of water. It should be titled, “Water pours steadily, as if poured from a vessel, into other water while there are some faint sounds of thunder in the background.” Probably not as catchy as “Torrential Thunderstorm” though.

Steep 6, 5 minutes. Also, probably my last steep on this one before I have to go and pick up my son from preschool. Color on this one looks to be a deep orange-brown. And yup, flavor is getting a bit thin, watery. I see now what people mean when they say this is a bit of a light steeper. Not in a bad way. Certainly the lightness contributes to its airy quality while drinking.

Overall, a nice first session with this. It didn’t blow me away as much as maybe I had expected based on some other reviews but I did find it enjoyable and something I would love to spend more time with to see what other discoveries I can make with it. But maybe next time, no more “Torrential Thunderstorms.”

Flavors: Bitter, Chocolate, Cream

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 4 OZ / 118 ML
Lion

I had pretty similar impressions of this tea! Mostly with the cacao flavor, a bit of bitterness, smooth texture, light, easy to drink. That torrential thunderstorm sounds like it would pair nicely with this tea as I got a lot of that mineral/petrichor kind of aroma you get when the rain starts.

Heads up to anyone that goes for mainly strong shou puerh as this is a very light and delicate shou puerh. When using the vendors recommending gongfu brewging specs (and even with extra leaf) the puerh comes out as very light and delicate. The two main things about this tea that stand out to me is that is is both sweet and smooth. This tea also has a bit more complex flavor profile than most of the shou puerh. To me the “flavor notes” if you want to go there are more of of a little fruity and a little forest like which I think is what the vendor was talking about with the moss. The 3rd infusion does indeed have a bit of cocoa notes which to be quite honest I was quite skeptical of the claim in s shou puerh. Upon the 5th infusion I would say the tea had died and had produced “colored water” so one must really enjoy really really light tea to be able to get all 6 infusions out of this tea. Regardless I have to admit this is clearly a really high quality shou puerh even through it is much lighter than what I generally go for.

TeaExplorer

Your assessment seems spot on. I’m still evaluating this one and am not yet ready to write a tasting note. Being primarily a fan of medium to heavy shou I found this to be quite light on my palate, but it did have some tasty flavor notes.

I finally have a cake of this in my cupboard! Yes! I enjoyed the loose leaf and was waiting to get one of these and finally the timing was perfect. This Shou is so yummy! Absolutely no funk, but thick and inky, and so creamy! This is definitely a Shou that could be a “go-to” Shou for me. I had it the other night and I wasn’t even in the mood for Shou and it was awesome. Oh, and did I mention how adorable the wrapper and cloth bag are? Love it!

I was positive I had written a note on one of my most beloved of shous but I don’t see one here…..

Simply EVERYTHING about this cake is beautiful – no surprise since it’s from Whispering Pines. It is presented in a gorgeous wrapper snuggled inside a handy storage envelope. As lovely as they are – the real beauty comes when you open the wrapper and see the abundance of golden leaves threaded throughout the cake.

After a very quick rinse, the first steep is a little light and carries notes of warm cocoa. This is one of the most accessible shous ever – there is zero funk and no barn or leather (not that barn and leather are bad things in shou – just not present here). This is probably the best shou to ease a new pu drinker into the dark side. It is the shou you give your best friend when you are trying to turn them into your pu drinking partner. It is sweet creamy deliciousness that wouldn’t be challenging for someone who might be a little hesitant – in other words – it’s a perfect “gateway drug” and it WILL get you hooked.

The following steeps are thick and syrupy with a mouth-coating sweetness and the cocoa note becomes stronger. As I steep through, brown sugar, caramel, dates, creamy vanilla and a little mineral background make welcome appearances.

In my distant past, I knew a very charming man I nicknamed Mr. Silk. That guy was smooooooth. I may nickname Huron Mr. Silk as well – it is super creamy-dreamy and almost slinky.

I got 8 or 9 delightful steeps and a nice laid back relaxation – a lovely ride.

This is a special shou and it needs a special song. I really like the Radiohead song “Reckoner”, but it is much better by Gnarls Barkley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUmmsMeHAaE

My session on Instagram: https://instagram.com/p/8yCfFTwx4T/

HIGHLY recommended!

Flavors: Cocoa, Dates, Mineral

tea-junkie

I might have to get me some of this!

TheTeaFairy

Hehe, lovely, Totally Mr. Silk! And yo, that song!!

MzPriss

@tea-junkie – it is so good

@TheTeaFairy – I’m calling it that from now on….and yeah that song :)

tea-junkie

How much for a cake? I’m only seeing it sold by the ounce

MzPriss

@tea-junkie Right now by the ounce is the only way to get it. You might want to ask The Hobbit when cakes might be available again.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Hey tea-junkie! Keep an eye out for a major cake release let’s say…the 22nd? :-)

KiwiDelight

This is the day I’ve been waiting for. /sitting intensifies

tea-junkie

Sweet, I will anxiously await the 22nd!

t-ching

Great review! I have to get some!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Tea-Junkie and KiwiDelight, the day has come early :D

First, let me start with that I am a sucker for aesthetic looks. I love a good tea presentation, and this cake achieved that. The wrapper is something beautiful, and it comes with an intersting cake bag. This is some good ’Shou’manship….hahah. Anyways, onward to the review.

The cake is beautiful! This shining golden disk is nicely compressed of black and gold maocha. This “Golden Needle” is fluffy and dusty with bronze colored powder, so it slightly stains the wrapper around it. The cake emits a smooth scent of earth and almost meaty. I broke a decent sized chunk off and prepared for brewing. I placed this inside my warmed gaiwan and gave it a shake. The tea began to awaken, and I could smell the amazing aromas. This brew carries a very sweet and smooth scent. This was a very nice blend. As a side note, I find it interesting the material that was used in making this cake. The fact that it was practically all golden needle just makes this tea seem luxurious. I digress, I washed the leaves and prepared for brewing. The steeped leaves give off a creamy and meaty aroma. The brew was almost pitch black and full of scents. The brew is incredible! The flavor is heavy and full bodied. The description reads “It doesn’t even feel like tea”, and that would be correct. The liquor is fully encapsulating and fills the mouth powerfully. The flavor is silky and slightly floral. There is a slight wildflower aftertaste that gives a drying effect. The brew remains consistently dark and brews at least 9 times. I was able to take in a mushroom flavor mixed well with Irish cream, brandy, and clay. This brew carries a lot of heavy tones. The qi was only slight, but it was still quite prominent. I was given a uplifted feeling that followed me through out my session. I am most grateful to have plenty of this cake to drink and share. I am usually not a great fan of Shu, but this may change my standpoint…

Flavors: Brandy, Clay, Creamy, Decayed wood, Flowers, Irish Cream, Mushrooms, Smooth

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

When I said 10 oz of water, I did do that, but I steeped it for 5-10 seconds FOUR times with 2.5oz f water each. Gravity steeped it into one cup! Now, I have had Puehr…BAD puehr that tasted like wet hay and was pretty terrible. I almost didn’t want to try any more of the stuff. Then I got to reading a thread here on Steepster about it being sweet, and nutty, and silky, and it made me WANT to like it! Then, I started asking about it and lo and hold, a sample pkg from Whispering Pines showed up today and I was surprised to see this tea in it. I couldn’t boil my water fast enough. The smell of the dry leaves were NOT what I had smelled in the other Puehr’s (the bad ones)…This one was earthy, and nutty and just invited me to sit and have a cup. So I did.

Sweet, creamy, silky with hints of roasted nuts and coconut. My Lord, this stuff is good. Imsipping on it as I type this and the flavors change as the tea cools…more sweet and more coconut with less roasted nuts.

My first REAL Puehr and Im HOOKED!

Flavors: Coconut, Roasted nuts, Vegetal

mrmopar

Welcome to the pu side young apprentice….

buddha-mom

you and me both, brother! same puerh turned my head!

Wonderfully thick and rich.. Notes of earth and spice, a nice little kick. Smooth and creamy textured shou, mostly clear of unwanted fermentation flavors. I think this one would get better with even more age.
Thank you Brenden for this delicious sample :)

Flavors: Earth, Spices