Fujian Xiao Zhong, Vanilla Bean, Yunnan Dian Hong
Dark Chocolate, Chocolate, Dates, Malt, Orchid, Stonefruits, Vanilla, Baked Bread, Anise, Camphor, Cherry, Clove, Cream, Eucalyptus, Honey, Leather, Menthol, Mineral, Nutmeg, Orange, Plums, Raisins, Toast, Wood, Dark Bittersweet, Fruity, Nutty, Cocoa, Smoke, Bergamot, Floral, Honeysuckle, Olive Oil, Pine, White Chocolate, Drying, White Grapes, Bitter, Caramel, Sweet, Smooth, Dark Wood, Earth, Brown Toast, Creamy, Graham, Toasted Rice, Peat, Pepper, Apricot, Graham Cracker
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

Available from 1 seller.

5 Images

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

About the Tea
Pure decadence, this black tea blend is packed full of deep creamy cocoa notes! My goal for this tea was to bring the ice cream shop on Mackinac Island into your cup! I began with North Winds – our black tea with dessert notes inspired by the island’s famous fudge. The next step was to seek out the highest quality vanilla beans in the world, hand chop them and blend them into the base tea. Blended with a careful hand and the utmost respect for letting all of the flavors shine, this tea exceeds all expectations!

Golden Orchid carries a rich and exceedingly smooth body with a perfectly balanced flavor profile. Unlike many other vanilla black teas, our base tea shines through the vanilla, creating a mouthwatering synthesis of bold and smooth dessert notes. While the vanilla is noticible by the trained palette, it does more than just add the depth of vanilla notes. Our premium (grade A) vanilla beans sourced from the island of Madagascar accentuate the deep fudge and cocoa notes of the base tea as well as add a thick creamy aspect to the tea, reminiscent of masterfully-crafted dark chocolate. The fruity notes of the tea are ever present, too, with light notes of plum and a mouthwatering layer of dark-chocolate covered Michigan cherries! This tea extends far past the last drop, with the flavor of melted chocolate and sweet vanilla lingering for hours. We recommend enjoying Golden Orchid with shortbread cookies or breakfast pastry’s for the ultimate experience. Click here for our gluten-free shortbread recipe!

Over time, the tea will absorb the vanilla notes and smooth out. We recommend drinking this tea once or twice a week to taste the way it transforms over time. Also note that mixing up the tea prior to scooping out your desired amount of leaf is recommended due to the tendency of the vanilla beans to sink to the bottom of the bag. Enjoy!

Notes
Fudge
Dark Chocolate
Dried Cherries
Vanilla
Pluot
Honey
Malt

How to brew the perfect cup:
Steep 1/2 tablespoon of leaves
in 8 ounces of boiling water
for 3 minutes.

2nd infusion: 5 minutes
3rd infusion: 8 minutes

Black Tea (Yunnan Dian Hong, Fujian Black Tea)
Organic Vanilla Beans

Caffeine Content
High

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Okay, for all of you that have ordered this tea in the past and loved it, please beware…you may not want to read this for the sake of your wallets.

Now shipping with Grade A Madagascar vanilla beans. The level of depth and richness in this is beyond words…but I tried :)

Notes

Looking Forward to it :)

TheTeaFairy

Can’t.wait.for.this.to.be.in.my.cupboard.

Ost

That just sounds amazing…ugh..need to wait to buy it though. >< Why must self-control be so hard!? >< Oy.

Veronica

It sounds fantastic!

MzPriss

Ive already ordered mine…

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Everyone that has ordered Port or Golden Orchid and has NOT received a shipping confirmation email yet will be receiving their teas with the new vanilla! :)

Memily

I just went to add this to my wish list and it was already on there. GIMME.

Cavocorax

I’m so glad I ordered 2 oz! I just had a sample before. :D

Whispering Pines Tea Company

:D so excited to hear what people think about it with the new vanilla! I think theres a HUGE difference!

I absolutely love Brendan’s North Winds and this is it with Vanilla in the mix, what a wonderful creation.
Notes of Smooth Chocolate and Creamy Vanilla are just OMG so good, If you are a fan of North Winds you will prolly like this one alot too.
The Vanilla in this one is just amazing, it is the perfect compliment to the dark chocolate and malty notes that this tea carries, it makes for a very smooth creamy sweet delight.
Brenden mentions an Ice Cream shop on Mackinac Island in his description on this one, tho I have never been in that particular shop, I have to say that he hit the mark with that statement.
When you walk into an Ice Cream Shop and you get a whiff of the Vanilla ice cream they are making in the back combined with the sweet scents that you get from the other ice creams and candies, you can very easily compare that to the aromas that you get from this one. That is a very comforting and welcoming aroma that just makes you feel good.
The taste OMG totally matches the aroma, what you smell is what you actually taste and that is a wonderful thing that don’t happen often enough.
As I’m writing this I’m sipping and trying to think of more write but alls i can think is “oh Vanilla, you are so good to me”
It’s amazing how good the Vanilla in this tea is, this is no nasty vanilla flavoring that leaves a funky film in your mouth, it is real and clean and creamy sweet goodness that you only get from real Vanilla Beans.
I can’t say enough good things about this one, it is delicious to me just like Brenden’s other blends I just can’t get enough.

Oh Yeah, after the tea is steeped out the Vanilla keeps going, very interesting and very good :)

I’ll be order lots of this one for as long as it is available :)

Thomas Edward(Toad)

Oh Yeah, Also check out Brendan’s Port Tea also, another Whispering Pines Teas with more Vanilla goodness.

Kirkoneill1988

im going to try some someday

QueenOfTarts

This sounds so tasty!

Great test amazing flavor. It has many flavors to pick

Flavors: Dark Chocolate

Well… hello lovely. Currently enjoying steep #2. Delicious, balanced & complex.

Flavors: Chocolate, Dates, Malt, Orchid, Stonefruits, Vanilla

Starfevre

Yeah, this one is great.

I was excited to get some of this tea, between all the glowing reviews here and on Youtube, I figured it must be incredible. I must say, the hype is true, it is wonderful tea. Each steeping seems a bit different which adds to the excitement. I enjoyed each subsequent steeping tasting and smelling different things. Overall, I think the most prevalent scent and taste was of baked bread. Maybe the fact that I am gluten free added to the appeal of this tea? Overall, delicious. I will guard my supply of this tea :).

Flavors: Baked Bread, Malt

I tried this tea twice and I just don’t care for it. The first time, I followed the brewing guidelines on the package. (NB: I brew Western style.) The tea was unremarkable. I tasted very little vanilla, but perhaps I didn’t stir the contents of the tea pouch enough.

I brewed a second batch (new leaves, well-stirred) using my traditional brewing method, 212F at 2:00 minutes. The tea was actually bitter and made me belch. I’m really sorry about that, because, at $10/oz., this was a rather pricey failed experiment. However, I gave the rest of it to my friend, who loves it, so an ill wind and so on.

3 tsp 25 OZ / 750 ML
bajumuslim

this is awesome review, really magnificent

I’m continuing to clear out the backlog with this one. It took longer than expected for me to get to this tea. I was aware that it was very popular and had a great reputation here on Steepster, and I think that may have played a role in my initial lack of desire to review it. Everyone had already said so much about this particular blend, what, if anything could I add? Well, now I am finally getting around to reviewing this blend and I have to say that I found it to be incredible. I have long felt that some of the best offerings from Whispering Pines Tea Company are their blends and my experience with this one only further reinforced that opinion.

I prepared this tea gongfu style. After a flash rinse, I steeped 6 grams of the loose blended material in 4 ounces of 205 F water for 5 seconds. This infusion was chased by 14 subsequent infusions. Steep times for these infusions were as follows: 7 seconds, 10 seconds, 15 seconds, 20 seconds, 25 seconds, 30 seconds, 40 seconds, 50 seconds, 1 minute, 1 minute 15 seconds, 1 minute 30 seconds, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, and 5 minutes.

Prior to the rinse, I detected aromas of vanilla, chocolate, honey, spices, and stone fruits. After the rinse, I found new aromas of raisin, malt, orange, leather, and wood. The bouquet of the first infusion was practically identical. I found mild notes of vanilla, malt, cream, wood, and chocolate in the mouth. Subsequent infusions brought out orange, black cherry, raisin, toast, leather, honey, plum, and mineral notes. I also found touches of camphor on the finish. When I focused in, I could detect additional notes of baked bread, clove, anise, nutmeg, menthol, and eucalyptus as well. The later infusions primarily offered mineral, baked bread, toast, cream, malt, and wood notes underscored by fleeting impressions of vanilla and calming, cooling herbal notes.

When I first tried this, it took me a couple minutes to adjust to it. I think I was expecting it to be much sweeter than it was, but fortunately, this was a very balanced, complex blend with a wonderful mix of aromas and flavors. The vanilla never came close to overpowering what the tea base had to offer. Instead, they complimented one another beautifully. Furthermore, I greatly appreciated the fact that no artificial ingredients were used in this blend. Overall, I have a hard time imagining that there is a much better vanilla black tea blend on the market. Definitely make a point of trying this one.

Flavors: Anise, Baked Bread, Camphor, Cherry, Chocolate, Clove, Cream, Eucalyptus, Honey, Leather, Menthol, Mineral, Nutmeg, Orange, Plums, Raisins, Toast, Vanilla, Wood

205 °F / 96 °C 6 g 4 OZ / 118 ML
Daylon R Thomas

I’ve always wanted to try Cocoa Amore, but it’s out of my price range personally.

eastkyteaguy

Same for me, though I think I still have a one ounce pouch of Ambrosia somewhere. I used to be able to afford pricier offerings, but I am now having to budget for pretty much the first time in my life.

Daylon R Thomas

Dang, that stuff is coveted.

Daylon R Thomas

Does it live to the hype?

I haven’t tried it yet.

Daylon R Thomas

Dang. I’m still jealy. Want to do a swap in the future with samples? It’ll be late because I’m busy as f and waiting for a few samples to come my way anyway, but given our similar preferences, it might be very doable.

Daylon R Thomas

Only other thing to consider is what both of us already have. My selection is actually decent right now, though I bet you have more variety.

eastkyteaguy

Daylon, I would be very open to a swap with you. I checked earlier and I do indeed have an ounce of Ambrosia that is unopened. I would be more than willing to split it with you.

This was a delight to the senses! So many flavours without any conflict, in a single cup