Fujian Xiao Zhong, Vanilla Bean, Yunnan Dian Hong
Anise, Baked Bread, Camphor, Cherry, Chocolate, Clove, Cream, Eucalyptus, Honey, Leather, Menthol, Mineral, Nutmeg, Orange, Plums, Raisins, Toast, Vanilla, Wood, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate, Dates, Fruity, Nutty, Cocoa, Malt, Smoke, Bergamot, Floral, Honeysuckle, Orchid, Olive Oil, Pine, White Chocolate, Drying, White Grapes, Bitter, Caramel, Sweet, Smooth, Dark Wood, Earth, Brown Toast, Creamy, Graham, Stonefruits, Toasted Rice, Peat, Pepper, Apricot, Graham Cracker
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

Available from 1 seller.

5 Images

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

About the Tea
Pure decadence, this black tea blend is packed full of deep creamy cocoa notes! My goal for this tea was to bring the ice cream shop on Mackinac Island into your cup! I began with North Winds – our black tea with dessert notes inspired by the island’s famous fudge. The next step was to seek out the highest quality vanilla beans in the world, hand chop them and blend them into the base tea. Blended with a careful hand and the utmost respect for letting all of the flavors shine, this tea exceeds all expectations!

Golden Orchid carries a rich and exceedingly smooth body with a perfectly balanced flavor profile. Unlike many other vanilla black teas, our base tea shines through the vanilla, creating a mouthwatering synthesis of bold and smooth dessert notes. While the vanilla is noticible by the trained palette, it does more than just add the depth of vanilla notes. Our premium (grade A) vanilla beans sourced from the island of Madagascar accentuate the deep fudge and cocoa notes of the base tea as well as add a thick creamy aspect to the tea, reminiscent of masterfully-crafted dark chocolate. The fruity notes of the tea are ever present, too, with light notes of plum and a mouthwatering layer of dark-chocolate covered Michigan cherries! This tea extends far past the last drop, with the flavor of melted chocolate and sweet vanilla lingering for hours. We recommend enjoying Golden Orchid with shortbread cookies or breakfast pastry’s for the ultimate experience. Click here for our gluten-free shortbread recipe!

Over time, the tea will absorb the vanilla notes and smooth out. We recommend drinking this tea once or twice a week to taste the way it transforms over time. Also note that mixing up the tea prior to scooping out your desired amount of leaf is recommended due to the tendency of the vanilla beans to sink to the bottom of the bag. Enjoy!

Notes
Fudge
Dark Chocolate
Dried Cherries
Vanilla
Pluot
Honey
Malt

How to brew the perfect cup:
Steep 1/2 tablespoon of leaves
in 8 ounces of boiling water
for 3 minutes.

2nd infusion: 5 minutes
3rd infusion: 8 minutes

Black Tea (Yunnan Dian Hong, Fujian Black Tea)
Organic Vanilla Beans

Caffeine Content
High

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Okay, for all of you that have ordered this tea in the past and loved it, please beware…you may not want to read this for the sake of your wallets.

Now shipping with Grade A Madagascar vanilla beans. The level of depth and richness in this is beyond words…but I tried :)

Notes

Looking Forward to it :)

TheTeaFairy

Can’t.wait.for.this.to.be.in.my.cupboard.

Ost

That just sounds amazing…ugh..need to wait to buy it though. >< Why must self-control be so hard!? >< Oy.

Veronica

It sounds fantastic!

MzPriss

Ive already ordered mine…

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Everyone that has ordered Port or Golden Orchid and has NOT received a shipping confirmation email yet will be receiving their teas with the new vanilla! :)

Memily

I just went to add this to my wish list and it was already on there. GIMME.

Cavocorax

I’m so glad I ordered 2 oz! I just had a sample before. :D

Whispering Pines Tea Company

:D so excited to hear what people think about it with the new vanilla! I think theres a HUGE difference!

I absolutely love Brendan’s North Winds and this is it with Vanilla in the mix, what a wonderful creation.
Notes of Smooth Chocolate and Creamy Vanilla are just OMG so good, If you are a fan of North Winds you will prolly like this one alot too.
The Vanilla in this one is just amazing, it is the perfect compliment to the dark chocolate and malty notes that this tea carries, it makes for a very smooth creamy sweet delight.
Brenden mentions an Ice Cream shop on Mackinac Island in his description on this one, tho I have never been in that particular shop, I have to say that he hit the mark with that statement.
When you walk into an Ice Cream Shop and you get a whiff of the Vanilla ice cream they are making in the back combined with the sweet scents that you get from the other ice creams and candies, you can very easily compare that to the aromas that you get from this one. That is a very comforting and welcoming aroma that just makes you feel good.
The taste OMG totally matches the aroma, what you smell is what you actually taste and that is a wonderful thing that don’t happen often enough.
As I’m writing this I’m sipping and trying to think of more write but alls i can think is “oh Vanilla, you are so good to me”
It’s amazing how good the Vanilla in this tea is, this is no nasty vanilla flavoring that leaves a funky film in your mouth, it is real and clean and creamy sweet goodness that you only get from real Vanilla Beans.
I can’t say enough good things about this one, it is delicious to me just like Brenden’s other blends I just can’t get enough.

Oh Yeah, after the tea is steeped out the Vanilla keeps going, very interesting and very good :)

I’ll be order lots of this one for as long as it is available :)

Thomas Edward(Toad)

Oh Yeah, Also check out Brendan’s Port Tea also, another Whispering Pines Teas with more Vanilla goodness.

Kirkoneill1988

im going to try some someday

QueenOfTarts

This sounds so tasty!

I’m continuing to clear out the backlog with this one. It took longer than expected for me to get to this tea. I was aware that it was very popular and had a great reputation here on Steepster, and I think that may have played a role in my initial lack of desire to review it. Everyone had already said so much about this particular blend, what, if anything could I add? Well, now I am finally getting around to reviewing this blend and I have to say that I found it to be incredible. I have long felt that some of the best offerings from Whispering Pines Tea Company are their blends and my experience with this one only further reinforced that opinion.

I prepared this tea gongfu style. After a flash rinse, I steeped 6 grams of the loose blended material in 4 ounces of 205 F water for 5 seconds. This infusion was chased by 14 subsequent infusions. Steep times for these infusions were as follows: 7 seconds, 10 seconds, 15 seconds, 20 seconds, 25 seconds, 30 seconds, 40 seconds, 50 seconds, 1 minute, 1 minute 15 seconds, 1 minute 30 seconds, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, and 5 minutes.

Prior to the rinse, I detected aromas of vanilla, chocolate, honey, spices, and stone fruits. After the rinse, I found new aromas of raisin, malt, orange, leather, and wood. The bouquet of the first infusion was practically identical. I found mild notes of vanilla, malt, cream, wood, and chocolate in the mouth. Subsequent infusions brought out orange, black cherry, raisin, toast, leather, honey, plum, and mineral notes. I also found touches of camphor on the finish. When I focused in, I could detect additional notes of baked bread, clove, anise, nutmeg, menthol, and eucalyptus as well. The later infusions primarily offered mineral, baked bread, toast, cream, malt, and wood notes underscored by fleeting impressions of vanilla and calming, cooling herbal notes.

When I first tried this, it took me a couple minutes to adjust to it. I think I was expecting it to be much sweeter than it was, but fortunately, this was a very balanced, complex blend with a wonderful mix of aromas and flavors. The vanilla never came close to overpowering what the tea base had to offer. Instead, they complimented one another beautifully. Furthermore, I greatly appreciated the fact that no artificial ingredients were used in this blend. Overall, I have a hard time imagining that there is a much better vanilla black tea blend on the market. Definitely make a point of trying this one.

Flavors: Anise, Baked Bread, Camphor, Cherry, Chocolate, Clove, Cream, Eucalyptus, Honey, Leather, Menthol, Mineral, Nutmeg, Orange, Plums, Raisins, Toast, Vanilla, Wood

205 °F / 96 °C 6 g 4 OZ / 118 ML
Daylon R Thomas

I’ve always wanted to try Cocoa Amore, but it’s out of my price range personally.

eastkyteaguy

Same for me, though I think I still have a one ounce pouch of Ambrosia somewhere. I used to be able to afford pricier offerings, but I am now having to budget for pretty much the first time in my life.

Daylon R Thomas

Dang, that stuff is coveted.

Daylon R Thomas

Does it live to the hype?

I haven’t tried it yet.

Daylon R Thomas

Dang. I’m still jealy. Want to do a swap in the future with samples? It’ll be late because I’m busy as f and waiting for a few samples to come my way anyway, but given our similar preferences, it might be very doable.

Daylon R Thomas

Only other thing to consider is what both of us already have. My selection is actually decent right now, though I bet you have more variety.

eastkyteaguy

Daylon, I would be very open to a swap with you. I checked earlier and I do indeed have an ounce of Ambrosia that is unopened. I would be more than willing to split it with you.

Wow! This was a delight to the senses! So many flavours without any conflict, in a single cup. In the three cups I partook of this tea, I absolutely loved the hints of dark chocolate and the mix of fruits.

I came upon this tea during a visit to a friend who has just returned from Spain, for a work assignment. Interesting that he got the tea from a flatmate there who found this tea too complex for his taste. My Indian palate, is not averse to complexities. I exchanged whatever was left of my friend’s tea for all my organic Nilgiri coffee stash.

Although I won’t say that I regret it, for the tea was quite a happy surprise, I could have retained half my coffee stash. I have just two cups’ worth left. I hope tomorrow will be a more exciting day with this tea.

P.S. – I realised that my earlier reviews were not very detailed. I have tried to amend that with this review.

Flavors: Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate, Dates, Fruity, Nutty

Excellent – thoroughly enjoyable. Always remember to mix up the tea before measuring out the leaves or the vanilla flavor will be very weak. Very generous with the vanilla bean – there was so much of it! All of the main flavors others have mentioned were there: cocoa, vanilla, malt. Also a tiny bit of what I call “pavilion campfire” – just a touch of smoke. You can overleaf it a little, especially if you do multiple steepings. I’ll be back for more. Hopefully they aren’t out of stock completely, but I know chances are pretty good they are!

Flavors: Cocoa, Malt, Smoke, Vanilla

Mohammad Ghaemi

آیا می دانید طراحی سایت فروشگاه اینترنتی چه ویژگی هایی باید داشته باشد؟ این مطلب را از دست ندهید

I was excited to see this back in stock, so I picked up a couple ounces. I’ve finally had a chance to sit down and have a real tasting, after having some nice cups with family.

Opening the bag and taking a whiff is a real treat! A rush of cocoa and vanilla, with nice maltiness to back it up. A bit like fresh brownies.

The tea steeps a nice dark brown, and retains the lovely aroma.

The taste is exceptional! Smooth and full, lots of flavors. No need for sugar, as the vanilla beans give just the right amount of sweetness. The black tea blend is excellent, and would stand up well on its own without the vanilla. No corners were cut in putting this blend together. I should note that this tea is flavored with actual beans, which gives it a nice smoothness versus a typical “flavored” tea using extract or other processed flavoring.

A second steeping holds up well, but I find that I need to about double the concentration to maintain the same strength as a first steeping. (In other words, I use half as much water in the second steeping.)

Overall, a superb black tea! It works well as a morning wake-up or an after-dinner dessert companion. This is going on my must-buy list. I don’t usually enjoy “flavored” teas, but this one is done very well. If you prefer “straight” black tea like me, and you’re looking for something with a fuller flavor profile, don’t hesitate to pick this up!

I tried this side by side with Whispering Pines’s Ambrosia. If you’re wondering, this tea uses Madagascar vanilla beans, while Ambrosia uses Tahitian beans. I think the difference between the two is that Ambrosia has a more pronounced vanilla flavor. Other than that, they are identical in my opinion, so their reviews will be very similar.

Flavors: Cocoa, Vanilla

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 0 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

I absolutely enjoyed this wonderful tea. Chocolate and vanilla, what’s not to love? It was very smooth without any hint of astringency. There are very slight fruity notes hiding in the background.
I really should have got more than the one ounce I ordered. It’s not too soon to make another order yet right…..

Let me just say, where it sates " …mixing up the tea prior to scooping out your desired amount of leaf is recommended…" – Do it!
I had to rewrite my review as the first brew was very floral and I could not note much Vanilla in the cup. So, second time around, yes, very lovely Vanilla. Pleasant and sweet aroma. Later steeps are still somewhat floral, sweet grass, carnation… very nice tea over all, with a sweet treat or a bit sugar.

Update: Drinking this one again today. I’m getting closer to the bottom of the bag, and it seems that’s where all the Vanilla lives ;) Wow, vanilla! Super rich, glorious aroma, reminds me of Tonka Bean, with floral noted. Luxurious, velvety, just wonderful. I’m still smelling the carnation in the base tho in the first two steeping, its a bit confusing. Something in the black tea is throwing me off I think, but its a nice complex cup. I’m starting to enjoy this one a bit more. It has a bit of a bite to it, and minerality, touch of bitterness and it lingers on your senses. Ah third steeping, and I think I finally have it. It has notes of bergamot. Oddly enough;) somehow the aroma profile opened up into this lovely perfume, still strong vanila, sweet yet crisp.

Flavors: Bergamot, Floral, Honeysuckle, Orchid, Vanilla