2007 White2Tea Repave

Pu-erh Tea
Corn Husk, Dates, Raisins, Raspberry, Stonefruits, White Grapes, Bitter, Creamy, Drying, Honey, Sweet, Medicinal, Musty, Bergamot, Camphor, Orange Zest, Smoke, Earth, Malt, Thick, Tobacco, Leather, Oak wood, Smooth, Sugar, Herbs, Wood, Apricot, Pine, Sugarcane, Fruity, Pleasantly Sour, Sour, Campfire, Green Wood, Vanilla, Black Currant, Jam, Dark Wood, Sweet, warm grass, Dust, Plums, Rum, Floral, Tangy, Caramel, Citrus, Astringent
Edit tea info Last updated by d11t

3 Images

From White2Tea

Repave was made with aged puer tea material from 2007, which was stored in Menghai for 7 years prior to being pressed in 2014. The soup is already a dark bronze color, sweet and soft. The material is from Hekai.

About White2Tea View company

Still exploring the wonderful world of pu and learning to put what I taste in words so please be gentle on my notes.

I’m using 7 grams of leaf in a 80ml gaiwan with boiling water.

Smell of the dry leaf is musty and average, not as musty as a ripe tea but definitely different than a young sheng.
Wet leaf has more of a tobacco hint, wet wood and a little ash from last night’s cigarette. It is inviting though and not an off-putting smell.
Empty cup and cha hai smell a little vegetal on top.

Taste of the first 3 infusions was quite dry and astringent and not open for loads of other flavours. The following infusions gain more depth giving some raisins and dried dates. Mouthfeel stays rather thin and clean. Some white grape flesh comes through around infusion 6 and 7. Astringency is now pleasing and nice and adds good depth to the tea. Currently steeping for about 40-50 seconds and I’m getting nice corn sweetness and sweet peas throughout the cup. I’m pushing the leafs a little and start getting some raspberry sweet notes. I have to say that I am not noticing smoke flavour in the cup which some others have commented. Steeping the tea for 3 minutes now around the 10th steep (I lost track) and some stone fruits have come into the mix, whilst the tea strength is definitely tapering off quite fast the remaining flavours are like lemonade. After a final powersteep of 10 minutes I call it quits. Cha qui is nothing out of the ordinary with some numbing of the teeth and a little tingle throughout the body, but definitely pleasant.

For a semi-aged sheng I like this tea a lot. And I’m currently seeing if I should buy 1 cake or more to drink more often, but I’m definitely adding this to the collection.

Flavors: Corn Husk, Dates, Raisins, Raspberry, Stonefruits, White Grapes

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 80 ML

2033 tasting notes

163/365

This is the last of the teas from my first White2Tea order. I can’t remember why I chose this one now, because the majority of the notes seem fairly negative. I’m not a great lover of bitterness in my pu’erh, and particularly not sheng. I must have read something redeeming at some point, though, so I’m going to give it a chance anyway! It’s the oldest of the shengs I selected, so I’m hoping age will be on its side…

I kept the first steep fairly minimal, at around 25 seconds. Fortunately, it’s perfectly smooth with absolutely no bitterness. It doesn’t have a huge amount of flavour; even the usual brassy sourness is missing! It’s lightly creamy, with a very slight edge of honey, and perhaps the tiniest bit of raw wood at the end of the sip. Pleasant, but not particularly arresting.

I left the second steep a little longer, just to see. I’ve found a touch of bitterness, but really no more than that. The flavour this time was unexpectedly smoky, with a woody undertone that’s quite pleasant. I’m surprised how different it was from the first steep, but I’ll probably reduce the time again for my next.

Third steep for 30 seconds, and the bitterness was again absent. I think there’s a fairly fine tipping point with this one; a case of a few seconds perhaps. The smokiness is present a little, but mostly in the background. For the most part, this is back to the smooth, creamy flavour of the first steep. It’s pleasant, but it’s finicky and lighter in flavour than I expected. On this plus side, no characteristic raw sheng flavour!

Third steep was for around 25 seconds; as the leaf unfurls, it obviously brews more quickly. There’s a tiny hint of bitterness, a touch of smoke, but mostly a raw wood flavour. The creaminess has disappeared. I could continue with this one for a while yet, but it’s time to go home! I may save my leaf and resume tomorrow, or I might move on to something else. I have enough left that I can return to this one in the future if I want to.

Found this to be a very uninteresting tea with little flavour beyond the usual sheng bitterness. Not nearly as nice as the Old Bear which has a similar age and price point and a lot more interesting things going on in the flavour.

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

No taste, no mouthfeel, no texture > only never-ending bitterness.

Flavors: Bitter

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 5 OZ / 160 ML

10 g free sample which I split into two sessions, one after another.

I tend to enjoy maocha so this looser leaf pressing was familiar and so was the brewing.

It was enjoyable quality tea, I would consider buying a cake during their sales as a daily drinker.

The last of the samples I’ve ordered from white2tea. So far I’ve not been impressed with any of their teas, but perhaps my mistake was ordering fresh 2017 spring productions instead of going for teas from 2016. Anyway, this one has some age on it so it should not suffer from being too young at least. I’ve only tried around half a dozen or so semi-aged raw pu’ers so far as I’ve been quite content with drinking and sampling young raws for the time being, so bear in mind that my experience and palate when it comes to these teas is still quite limited.

I used 12 grams in my 180ml teapot made from clay from Dehua. The sample smelled extremely dank when I received it, which is why I’ve given it several months in my pumidor to air out. Fortunately this worked and I didn’t note any off notes in the smell or taste during this session. I rinsed the leaves for ten seconds and let them rest for five minutes before I began brewing proper. I did a total of nine steeps, for 10s, 10s, 15s, 20s, 30s, 45s, 75s, 2 min. and 3 min. The wet leaves have a scent of pinewood and bark. Perhaps slightly wet or decaying in the beginning, but it moves toward more fresh wood over the course of the steeps, eventually resembling warm wood stacked beside the fireplace.

The first steep surprised with its honey-like sweetness. It wasn’t nearly as intense as some of the sweetest young raws I’ve had, but definitely the sweetest of the handful of semi-aged shengs I’ve tried. The sweetness was accompanied by a dryness I’m accustomed to with every aged sheng I’ve tried. Note that this dry character does not often mean the tea is actually drying as well, although some steeps with this tea were a little bit of that as well. The mouthfeel was quite interesting and something you definitely took note of. The second steep was still quite sweet. It had now moved from honey to somewhere between honey and apricot. The dry finish was naturally still there as well.

The sweetness was gone by the third infusion, with the tea beginning to taste a bit sour now. There was also some bitterness in the finish now as well. So far the mouthfeel had remained the same. The next steep provided very typical semi-aged flavors. Dry, smoky, a bit bitter and prickly on the tongue. After a few small cups, the tea starts tasting a bit creamy. It got even creamier in the fifth steeping, with more pronounced flavors across the board, including the bitterness, but it was by no means any sort of bad kind of bitterness.

The tea started getting better in the sixth brew. The sweetness from the beginning was now starting to come back while the dryness was beginning to fall off. While the seventh steep was clearly a strong extraction, the flavors were beginning to taper off. The taste was a basic aged dry bitter taste. The tea was still quite drinkable though. It was slightly refreshing, but the dry finish also demanded you to keep drinking more. Even at this point the tea still retained most of its original mouthfeel.

The eighth steep was pretty basic now. The tea had a sort of slightly sweet woody taste. The mouthfeel was nice, slick, actually now somewhat oily. I actually quite liked this steep and it was possibly my favorite of the bunch. I could have possibly extended the brewing time for steep nine by more than just a minute as it ended up being slightly sweet, but clearly quite watery now. However, I thought that this tea was pretty much done by this point so I decided to end it there.

This tea was pretty decent. Clearly not made from high-end material, but not low-grade stuff either. As far as semi-aged teas go, this was actually the best one I’ve had so far, although not something I liked terribly much either. A couple of steeps were pretty good, but overall this is not a tea I would purchase for myself. However it is something that I can recommend for someone who is looking for a semi-aged sheng that doesn’t break the bank to try. Some people may enjoy drinking it now, but with further aging I would expect the bitterness to gradually die down and the sweetness to become even more pronounced. I think the price for this one is right, so if you like it go for it.

Flavors: Bitter, Creamy, Drying, Honey, Sweet

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 12 g 6 OZ / 180 ML

Here’s Hoping Teabox – Round Seven- Tea #42
The tasting notes for this one sound amazing, so I probably wasn’t steeping correctly again. sigh. I have been busy. I have a tough time describing any sheng though unless it is a favorite and that has only been a couple shengs in my life (hint, they are also usually Teavivre shengs.)

i dont know why this is so bitter, but it is, and it seems to draw the moisture from my mouth. i used 3g in a 60ml gaiwan which may be too much, however this is the first steep.

it smells of campfire, menthol, molasses, and seaweed.
second steep and the taste is really harsh; my whole mouth feels dry and pasty. i need milk- i dont even drink milk, but i need it to put out the fire in my mouth. if theres any upside to this tea right now, its the qi im feeling even with such a small quantity. Im just going to sit through this.

on a good note, ive just set up my tea space again after a year or so so now i can gong fu. im at a new apartment too and my room is a good size. unfortunately my tea table must also be used for my painting spot which takes priority in this case so i may have to move tea spot to the dining room table.

leaves have opened up now after maybe the 7th steep, and the brew is actually sweeter and more bearable. and wow i feel kind of stoned. just staring out the window, feeling the buzz.

ok the bitter has died right down. i feel a slight cooling of the mouth on inhales.. pretty nice. thats it im done with this review. this tea is like a chinese finger trap, once you’re in you dont get out.

nycoma

Had a sample of this tea and like some others, thought it wasn’t for me. My sample was really really loose, basically loose leaf bits, and wondering if that changed anything. but in any case it’s not bad tea at all. It’s really nice, just a flavor profile I wouldn’t want for the everyday. It’s very smokey, decently camphory, medicinal, and to me very burnt or bitter orange, or bergamot rinds kind of thing. fits its color. If you like aged raws that swerve towards the super smokey and rindy, then repave yourself. i like the label

Flavors: Bergamot, Bitter, Camphor, Orange Zest, Smoke

june 22/17 after a rinse i smelled tobacco, and menthol, and thats what i got in the first couple steepings. in the mid steeps a bit of a flavour like wet cement came in. just a bit of bitterness. if not for that it would be in the same ballpark as my favourite tea. i will for sure be getting a cake of this.

7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML