2007 White2Tea Repave

Pu-erh Tea
Apricot, Bitter, Floral, Fruity, Honey, Jam, Peach, Plums, Strawberry, White Grapes, Wood, Paper, Stonefruits, Sugar, Tobacco, Corn Husk, Dates, Raisins, Raspberry, Creamy, Drying, Sweet, Medicinal, Musty, Bergamot, Camphor, Orange Zest, Smoke, Earth, Malt, Thick, Leather, Oak wood, Smooth, Herbs, Pine, Sugarcane, Pleasantly Sour, Sour, Campfire, Green Wood, Vanilla, Black Currant, Dark Wood, Sweet, warm grass, Dust, Rum, Tangy, Caramel, Citrus, Astringent
Edit tea info Last updated by d11t

3 Images

• “Judging by my sample these are quite lightly pressed cakes. I just pulled it apart by hand and used 7 g in a 130 ml gaiwan. I got somewhere between 12 and 15 steeps split between two sessions. I...” Read full tasting note
  • “Meet one of my alter-egos, Poochie Gomorrah. She’s a widow, living alone in the dank pine-paneled trailer of her deceased husband (21 years her senior, he died of lung cancer last year god bless...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is my first time sharing tasting notes… bear with me… or don’t. Let me preface with – this was the first tea that spent time in my pumador before I drank it. I was having so much fun taking...” Read full tasting note
  • “Still exploring the wonderful world of pu and learning to put what I taste in words so please be gentle on my notes. I’m using 7 grams of leaf in a 80ml gaiwan with boiling water. Smell of the dry...” Read full tasting note

From White2Tea

Repave was made with aged puer tea material from 2007, which was stored in Menghai for 7 years prior to being pressed in 2014. The soup is already a dark bronze color, sweet and soft. The material is from Hekai.

About White2Tea View company

Judging by my sample these are quite lightly pressed cakes. I just pulled it apart by hand and used 7 g in a 130 ml gaiwan. I got somewhere between 12 and 15 steeps split between two sessions. I always seem to lose the count, maybe I should start taking notes. Started with a quick rinse and a 10s first steep slowly increasing up to minute and a half for the last. Liquor is dark golden, amber, with a slight reddish hue.

The taste has the generic sheng vibe as expected. Some woody notes, a bit of bitterness, some flowers. What I liked about this tea are the fruity notes and the way they come and go and transform into one another. I got white grapes, plums, apricots, peaches, strawberry jam. Good stuff.

Flavors: Apricot, Bitter, Floral, Fruity, Honey, Jam, Peach, Plums, Strawberry, White Grapes, Wood

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 7 g 4 OZ / 130 ML

Meet one of my alter-egos, Poochie Gomorrah.

She’s a widow, living alone in the dank pine-paneled trailer of her deceased husband (21 years her senior, he died of lung cancer last year god bless his soul). A cougar now, at least she likes to think she is, but she’s showing signs of age. I’d call her a catch but she does the catching. She wears a long, thick-pile leopard print robe that she bought at Neiman Marcus in Houston, 1968. Permanently embedded in the plush is the scent of Chanel No. 5. Underneath is a silk camisole and garter belt, and in the top of her hose on her right leg she carries a small flask of peaty Laphroaig (she’s finishing off her deceased husband’s stockpile) of which she takes the occasional swig. On the coffee table, she has an open pack of Benson and Hedges menthols sitting next to a full ashtray and a pot of coffee she brewed this morning. It’s weak, can’t taste the coffee, but it’s bitter as hell. A crystal bowl contains a few Werther’s hard candies and apricot and strawberry bonbons, of which she ate one of each earlier. Stacked around the dank trailer are boxes containing decades-worth of newspapers and books, musty and yellowing in their age. It’s the end of a cool autumn Texas night and she’s lounging open-robed on her velour couch, with the taste of chipped ham and cream cheese still in her mouth. She’s fading in… and fading out.

Goodbye, Repave.

205 °F / 96 °C 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
__Morgana__

Hiya, Poochie!

Bluegreen

An interesting person to meet, for sure.

derk

I have yet to take her to the roller disco but I’m looking forward to it.

This is my first time sharing tasting notes… bear with me… or don’t.

Let me preface with – this was the first tea that spent time in my pumador before I drank it. I was having so much fun taking the cake apart (since it was not crumbly and flaky), that I put quite a bit more leaf in my gaiwan than I normally would have.

Early steeps, all 5 seconds or less: I taste paper matches, newsprint and tobacco. strong returning sweetness, like pure sugar. first time I have experienced it like this so sweet so quickly. pleasant mouth-drying astringency.

Start to feel the tea in my 5th steep. tingling on my scalp – warmth in my cheeks near my nose, heavy warmth in the center of my chest. dry/astringent/ paper like aspects of the taste are starting to fade, but the tobacco taste (along with a mild tongue numbing sensation) and the sweetness are in full force.

~Took a break after 5, chest feeling a bit tight, and I am at work! also, I like to walk around when my tea-high kicks in so I can better explore how it feels in my body.

Steeps 6,7&8 (10, 15, 20 seconds) Mild tobacco/tongue numbing, a slight back of throat tickle, nice viscosity. the aftertaste is sweet like honey, with just a touch of tartness, like fresh white nectarines. feels warm and comfortable in my shoulders.

Steeps 9, 10, … fucked up my steep counter. (first time counting steeps, dont yell at me!) 30 sec, 40 sec, 1 minute… or so… these longer steeps bring back some of the mouth-drying sensations. the sweetness reminds me a little of watermelon. I’m just now starting to sweat a little, definitely energized, and a bit hungry.

Whatever steep I’m on now… I let it steep while I walked around a bit. now I can feel it beneath my shoulder blades… perhaps I’m growing wings. Now it is pure sweetness like a watermelon jolly rancher.

The sweetness lingers in my mouth the entire time I wait for this next steep. this will likely be the last one – I get impatient when the steeps get a few minutes long.

Oooohhhhh! it’s so sweet! I’m going to do just one more.

Flavors: Honey, Paper, Stonefruits, Sugar, Tobacco

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

I’m using 7 grams of leaf in a 80ml gaiwan with boiling water.

Smell of the dry leaf is musty and average, not as musty as a ripe tea but definitely different than a young sheng.
Wet leaf has more of a tobacco hint, wet wood and a little ash from last night’s cigarette. It is inviting though and not an off-putting smell.
Empty cup and cha hai smell a little vegetal on top.

Taste of the first 3 infusions was quite dry and astringent and not open for loads of other flavours. The following infusions gain more depth giving some raisins and dried dates. Mouthfeel stays rather thin and clean. Some white grape flesh comes through around infusion 6 and 7. Astringency is now pleasing and nice and adds good depth to the tea. Currently steeping for about 40-50 seconds and I’m getting nice corn sweetness and sweet peas throughout the cup. I’m pushing the leafs a little and start getting some raspberry sweet notes. I have to say that I am not noticing smoke flavour in the cup which some others have commented. Steeping the tea for 3 minutes now around the 10th steep (I lost track) and some stone fruits have come into the mix, whilst the tea strength is definitely tapering off quite fast the remaining flavours are like lemonade. After a final powersteep of 10 minutes I call it quits. Cha qui is nothing out of the ordinary with some numbing of the teeth and a little tingle throughout the body, but definitely pleasant.

For a semi-aged sheng I like this tea a lot. And I’m currently seeing if I should buy 1 cake or more to drink more often, but I’m definitely adding this to the collection.

Flavors: Corn Husk, Dates, Raisins, Raspberry, Stonefruits, White Grapes

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 80 ML

163/365

This is the last of the teas from my first White2Tea order. I can’t remember why I chose this one now, because the majority of the notes seem fairly negative. I’m not a great lover of bitterness in my pu’erh, and particularly not sheng. I must have read something redeeming at some point, though, so I’m going to give it a chance anyway! It’s the oldest of the shengs I selected, so I’m hoping age will be on its side…

I kept the first steep fairly minimal, at around 25 seconds. Fortunately, it’s perfectly smooth with absolutely no bitterness. It doesn’t have a huge amount of flavour; even the usual brassy sourness is missing! It’s lightly creamy, with a very slight edge of honey, and perhaps the tiniest bit of raw wood at the end of the sip. Pleasant, but not particularly arresting.

I left the second steep a little longer, just to see. I’ve found a touch of bitterness, but really no more than that. The flavour this time was unexpectedly smoky, with a woody undertone that’s quite pleasant. I’m surprised how different it was from the first steep, but I’ll probably reduce the time again for my next.

Third steep for 30 seconds, and the bitterness was again absent. I think there’s a fairly fine tipping point with this one; a case of a few seconds perhaps. The smokiness is present a little, but mostly in the background. For the most part, this is back to the smooth, creamy flavour of the first steep. It’s pleasant, but it’s finicky and lighter in flavour than I expected. On this plus side, no characteristic raw sheng flavour!

Third steep was for around 25 seconds; as the leaf unfurls, it obviously brews more quickly. There’s a tiny hint of bitterness, a touch of smoke, but mostly a raw wood flavour. The creaminess has disappeared. I could continue with this one for a while yet, but it’s time to go home! I may save my leaf and resume tomorrow, or I might move on to something else. I have enough left that I can return to this one in the future if I want to.

Found this to be a very uninteresting tea with little flavour beyond the usual sheng bitterness. Not nearly as nice as the Old Bear which has a similar age and price point and a lot more interesting things going on in the flavour.

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

No taste, no mouthfeel, no texture > only never-ending bitterness.

Flavors: Bitter

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 5 OZ / 160 ML

10 g free sample which I split into two sessions, one after another.

I tend to enjoy maocha so this looser leaf pressing was familiar and so was the brewing.

It was enjoyable quality tea, I would consider buying a cake during their sales as a daily drinker.

The last of the samples I’ve ordered from white2tea. So far I’ve not been impressed with any of their teas, but perhaps my mistake was ordering fresh 2017 spring productions instead of going for teas from 2016. Anyway, this one has some age on it so it should not suffer from being too young at least. I’ve only tried around half a dozen or so semi-aged raw pu’ers so far as I’ve been quite content with drinking and sampling young raws for the time being, so bear in mind that my experience and palate when it comes to these teas is still quite limited.

I used 12 grams in my 180ml teapot made from clay from Dehua. The sample smelled extremely dank when I received it, which is why I’ve given it several months in my pumidor to air out. Fortunately this worked and I didn’t note any off notes in the smell or taste during this session. I rinsed the leaves for ten seconds and let them rest for five minutes before I began brewing proper. I did a total of nine steeps, for 10s, 10s, 15s, 20s, 30s, 45s, 75s, 2 min. and 3 min. The wet leaves have a scent of pinewood and bark. Perhaps slightly wet or decaying in the beginning, but it moves toward more fresh wood over the course of the steeps, eventually resembling warm wood stacked beside the fireplace.

The first steep surprised with its honey-like sweetness. It wasn’t nearly as intense as some of the sweetest young raws I’ve had, but definitely the sweetest of the handful of semi-aged shengs I’ve tried. The sweetness was accompanied by a dryness I’m accustomed to with every aged sheng I’ve tried. Note that this dry character does not often mean the tea is actually drying as well, although some steeps with this tea were a little bit of that as well. The mouthfeel was quite interesting and something you definitely took note of. The second steep was still quite sweet. It had now moved from honey to somewhere between honey and apricot. The dry finish was naturally still there as well.

The sweetness was gone by the third infusion, with the tea beginning to taste a bit sour now. There was also some bitterness in the finish now as well. So far the mouthfeel had remained the same. The next steep provided very typical semi-aged flavors. Dry, smoky, a bit bitter and prickly on the tongue. After a few small cups, the tea starts tasting a bit creamy. It got even creamier in the fifth steeping, with more pronounced flavors across the board, including the bitterness, but it was by no means any sort of bad kind of bitterness.

The tea started getting better in the sixth brew. The sweetness from the beginning was now starting to come back while the dryness was beginning to fall off. While the seventh steep was clearly a strong extraction, the flavors were beginning to taper off. The taste was a basic aged dry bitter taste. The tea was still quite drinkable though. It was slightly refreshing, but the dry finish also demanded you to keep drinking more. Even at this point the tea still retained most of its original mouthfeel.

The eighth steep was pretty basic now. The tea had a sort of slightly sweet woody taste. The mouthfeel was nice, slick, actually now somewhat oily. I actually quite liked this steep and it was possibly my favorite of the bunch. I could have possibly extended the brewing time for steep nine by more than just a minute as it ended up being slightly sweet, but clearly quite watery now. However, I thought that this tea was pretty much done by this point so I decided to end it there.

This tea was pretty decent. Clearly not made from high-end material, but not low-grade stuff either. As far as semi-aged teas go, this was actually the best one I’ve had so far, although not something I liked terribly much either. A couple of steeps were pretty good, but overall this is not a tea I would purchase for myself. However it is something that I can recommend for someone who is looking for a semi-aged sheng that doesn’t break the bank to try. Some people may enjoy drinking it now, but with further aging I would expect the bitterness to gradually die down and the sweetness to become even more pronounced. I think the price for this one is right, so if you like it go for it.

Flavors: Bitter, Creamy, Drying, Honey, Sweet

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 12 g 6 OZ / 180 ML

Here’s Hoping Teabox – Round Seven- Tea #42
The tasting notes for this one sound amazing, so I probably wasn’t steeping correctly again. sigh. I have been busy. I have a tough time describing any sheng though unless it is a favorite and that has only been a couple shengs in my life (hint, they are also usually Teavivre shengs.)