2017 Natural Redhead

Apple Candy, Fruity, Strawberry
Edit tea info Last updated by Roswell Strange

• “The dry leaves smell like fruit punch and the brew matches up. Heavy hints of strawberry and apple appear in the brew. Sweetness lingers in the mouth after. A bit of peach appears around steep 3....” Read full tasting note
  • “I have tried this Tea twice and it has not gone well. It is kind of flat and thin and has a cardboard taste even when heavily leafed. Wondering what others think who have tried it? Did I get a bad...” Read full tasting note
  • “Bought this one a while back from White2Tea because i was really curious about it at the time, but then I just kind of forgot about it/put it on the back burner as far as trying it out goes –...” Read full tasting note

From White2Tea

The 2017 Natural Redhead is a pressed black tea from Yunnan, made in the dianhong style. Made from large leaf varietal material, the tea is sun dried, with no machine processing involved. The tea is smooth, with a very thick body, and a soft natural fragrance.
Drink now or age a few years before drinking.

This tea has been tested and passed the test for 440 of the pesticides and herbicides on the EU MRL list.

About White2Tea View company

The dry leaves smell like fruit punch and the brew matches up. Heavy hints of strawberry and apple appear in the brew. Sweetness lingers in the mouth after. A bit of peach appears around steep 3. Lasted about 7 steeps before it bottomed out and heavy astringency set in.

Body is on the thin side as others have mentioned. I don’t personally think that’s a bad thing.

I do recommend this tea. Might get even better with age.

Flavors: Apple Candy, Fruity, Strawberry

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

I have tried this Tea twice and it has not gone well. It is kind of flat and thin and has a cardboard taste even when heavily leafed. Wondering what others think who have tried it? Did I get a bad cake or is this just how it is?

Bought this one a while back from White2Tea because i was really curious about it at the time, but then I just kind of forgot about it/put it on the back burner as far as trying it out goes – there was just so much more to try in the mean time!

I actually ended up getting more of it recently though in my Sipsby Subscription box. This is my second month receiving that box and I’m still pretty impressed by it. They’ve yet to send me anything I put on my “not interested” list and I’m still getting quite a nice range of tea types/flavours. This is essentially my second time getting a tea I’ve had before though; the first was a flavoured blend I’d tried before (and liked), and this time it’s something I actually already own but hadn’t yet tried. I don’t know if that means Sipsby’s algorithm is REALLY good or if maybe I just drink too much tea?

It’s probably the latter.

Anyway, now that I’ve got even more of this I figured I’d better try it out – especially if I want to send feedback in for the next month’s box to help that algorithm continue to improve. I also wanted to compare notes with James on the slack group chat to see if our experiences would be similar at all.

Brewed up, I was a little underwhelmed by this. I didn’t find it bad at all; in fact I genuinely enjoyed the flavour notes I got from it quite a bit – but it really didn’t have a lot of presence/“punch” and I think I would have preferred something far brisker.

Top notes:
– Generic red fruits
- Perhaps leaning a little towards currant and strawberry
- Over ripe strawberry

Body notes:
- SOFT malt, honey, and white peach/peach skins
- The peach is actually very comparable to Liquid Proust’s peach oolong blend
- “Peach vs. Bergamot refereed by Formosa Oolong”
- Light to medium body overall

Finishing notes:
- Honey and lemon peel
- Specifically the peel…

I’ll probably age this one for a while and come back to it…