2008 Xinghai Grade 7 Ripe Puerh Tea Brick

Pu Erh Tea
Forest Floor, Smoke, Chocolate, Earth, Fruity, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by AllanK
Boiling 9 g 4 oz / 110 ml

• “After reading reviews for this ripe I bought a brick , happily the people who wrote about it were spot on, the tea is clean and delicious. The price has increased over the years but it is still a...” Read full tasting note
  • “TASTING NOTE 5000!!! Thank you Veck for very thoughtfully sending this one to me – sorry it’s taken a while to get to most of the teas from the Slack Secret Santa exchange. They’ve not been...” Read full tasting note
  • “Gongfu, with a gaiwan. Sample from a “puer starting pack”, courtesy of Liquid Proust. used full sample, which is quite large . I don’t have a scale, but dry leaves fill half of gaiwan. Lots of...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tea is the sort of tea lovers of ripe puerh are always looking for. It is both delicious and cheap. This was really tasty. It had partially cleared as far as fermentation flavor. There was a...” Read full tasting note

From Xinghai Tea Factory (Yunnan Sourcing)

Product description not available yet.

About Xinghai Tea Factory (Yunnan Sourcing) View company

The price has increased over the years but it is still a good buy.

TASTING NOTE 5000!!!

Thank you Veck for very thoughtfully sending this one to me – sorry it’s taken a while to get to most of the teas from the Slack Secret Santa exchange. They’ve not been unappreciated, though!

I did this one Gong Fu because that seemed the only respectable way to go about brewing it. The session was actually quite long; something like 12-15 infusions. However, I really only took notes for the first four or so before my laptop died and I finished the rest of the session jot note free. That was weeks ago, and unfortunately I’m struggling A LOT to remember the specifics of the other infusions apart from just feeling really, really tea drunk overall. It was a good session though.

Anyway, here are the notes that I DID take:

Started w. a ten second rinse and a rest…

Infusion One/Ten Seconds
- Mineral, dark cocoa, molasses, dates, earth
- LOTS of earth

Infusion Two/Fifteen Seconds
- Super murky and opaque liquor
- Dark, dank wet earth and mushrooms/dark cocoa
- Mineral, undergrowth and date undertones
- Saltier/umami finish!?

Infusion Three/Fifteen Seconds
- The same but sweeter?
- Has this lingering ‘honey nut’/grainy kind of thing going for it
- It’s hard to describe really, reminds me of cereal sort of though?

Infusion Four/Twenty Seconds
- Ditto, but somewhat roasty/woody too

Infusion Five/Twenty Five Seconds
- Very lingering mouthfeel and taste
- That honey/nut/grainy kind of cereal quality is REALLY strong/intense
- Also all kinds of earthy
- The Qi/Tea Drunkeness is definitely beginning to hit me as well…
- Still sort of reminds me of dates and mushrooms too…

And that is where the laptop died and I stopped taking notes.

Honestly, though? This was a GOOD session, but also a very weird one filled with a lot of more abstract flavours and, consequently, flavour descriptions…

Gongfu, with a gaiwan. Sample from a “puer starting pack”, courtesy of Liquid Proust. used full sample, which is quite large . I don’t have a scale, but dry leaves fill half of gaiwan. Lots of twigs, but this is to be expected.

Steeps: rinse, f, f, f, f, 10s, 10, 30, 1min, 1.30, 2, 4, 6, and finished grandpa style.

1&2 : faint forest floor aroma, slightly smoky. No funky smells. Lovely dark red liquor, somehow harsh in the back of the mouth. Drying feeling.
3: More viscous. Taste and mouthfeel, which were a bit flat before, are getting more complex. Slightly sweet and malty. Found a hair. At least it’s not curly (That joke has been done to death by now).
5&6: As dark as a stout. Surprisingly clean taste. Bittersweet aftertaste.
9: Bitternes is coming forward (due to longer steeps), leaving a chalky aftertaste. But maybe the insanely hard water over here has something to do with it. I would prefer a bit sweeter brew, but I don’t mind trading sweetnes for a thicker liquor.
12: It is getting thin, sweetnes is back again.

After 12 steeps I am finishing this grandpa style. Overall, I liked this tea. Hard to say anything substantial, since I haven’t had a lot of shou yet (and this is why I am not rating it). I would have liked some more depth and sweetnes, though.

Flavors: Forest Floor, Smoke

Boiling 8 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

This tea is the sort of tea lovers of ripe puerh are always looking for. It is both delicious and cheap. This was really tasty. It had partially cleared as far as fermentation flavor. There was a little I noticed in the first couple of steeps but not even much then. There was little or no bitterness to this tea. There were some notes of chocolate in there and it did develop a fruity flavor in later steeps. It was dark and rich in the early steeps. This tea is so good I am tempted to buy another brick. At $13 I think it is it is a steal. There are no off tastes or storage flavors to this tea. This tea qualifies as a find.

I steeped this tea ten times in a 120ml gaiwan with 10.5g leaf and boiling water. I gave it a 5 second rinse and a 15 minute rest. Gave it a longer rest than usual because I was on the phone to be honest. I steeped it for 5 sec, 5 sec, 7 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 25 sec, 30 sec, 45 sec, and 1 min. Judging by the color of the leaves in the tenth steep I’d say I could certainly get a few more steeps out of it if I hadn’t hit my caffeine limit for the day.

Flavors: Chocolate, Earth, Fruity, Sweet

Boiling 10 g 4 OZ / 120 ML
tea123

Fill your boots!

Simon Sim

I just got a brick from YS. yes, it is good for the price though I paid $21 now.