2006 Feng Qing 7813 Recipe Raw Pu-erh tea cake 357 grams

Pu-erh Tea
Herbs, Leather, Tobacco, Wood, Mushrooms, Tannin, Mineral
Edit tea info Last updated by Kornknarr
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 4 oz / 106 ml

• “Sat down with this as an afternoon brew as I have a sample. I agree with the other reviews that it is nothing to write home about. It took a while to open up and later brews were more pleasant and...” Read full tasting note
  • “EDIT 20181030 : I’m re-visiting this tea a year later to test a new (second hand, apparently unused) yixing acquisition. Loved it. There was a distinctly warm fragrance in the pot that I didn’t...” Read full tasting note
  • “Summary: Inexpensive for age buy from YS. Starts bitter and finishes bland floral, with heavy mineral feel throughout. Prep: 5g, 60cc gaiwan, boiling. Rinse, 10s, increasing from there for about 13...” Read full tasting note
  • “Inexpensive and and somewhat aged 2006 Feng Qing 7813 was one of my impulse purchases from YS, as it was (and apparently still is) inexpensive in its age group. I have had this few times now, and I...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

Recipe 7813 was developed by the Feng Qing tea factory in 1978 and is a tippy recipe with an average of grade leaves. The brewed tea is floral (without mustiness, bitter and astringent with sweet (rock sugar) mineral taste. Aroma is strong and pungent.

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

It took a while to open up and later brews were more pleasant and rounded. Not a huge amount of bitterness with the brewing that I was doing. the main notes of herbs, leather and wood seemed to not last for that long and I didn’t get much of a coating mouth-feel from it. For the money I don’t think it is bad but I don’t need any more daily drinkers like this!

Flavors: Herbs, Leather, Tobacco, Wood

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
kevdog19

If I’m not mistaken, I had a session of this and decided it wasn’t for me (or my humidor) and shipped it to my brother. Kinda wish I could re-investigate.

Finisterre

Hi kevdog, I got the sample of the cake from Greenteaguru, they list it as 2007 as the pressing date on the back of the wrapper was then but I figured it was the same as this one, though I guess storage may have been different. It was also from the centre of the cake with a tight compression which may have changed the aging!

kevdog19

I drank this when I was still new to pu-erh maybe say 5 years ago. Anything could’ve happened now. All I remember is that this tea was way too undrinkable for me to hold on to.

EDIT 20181030 : I’m re-visiting this tea a year later to test a new (second hand, apparently unused) yixing acquisition. Loved it. There was a distinctly warm fragrance in the pot that I didn’t associate with wet storage until after I re-read my notes from below. Time and clay balanced this one out perfectly. Wouldn’t dare to call this tea shou-like to its face now. Although without the clay I think I would. Right there on the balance.

Folks at YS are getting good at eyeballing 25g chunks. I got a big chunk and only a little bit of extra for a sample. Today I brewed the extra bits.

The semi-wet storage produces a darker and more instant brew, certainly with some shou flavours, but indeed, as YS advertises, little to no storage mustiness to rinse off.
At the start mainly mushroomy shou-ey, later strikingly black tea-like astringency — but this may also be due to reverting to porcelain brewing for a change (and getting some dust in). There’s also something in that (pleasant) astringency that still makes this a sheng. Apart from that it is mainly a mushroomy shou (or wet-storage sheng).

It does get cleaner as time passes, and at one point the leaves even smell clearly floral for a while. Maybe if I switch this one back to clay I can get a warmer, deeper brew out of it after all.

For now, I’ve got this one down as a typical shou-like, wet storage, in spite of the ‘semi wet’ label. I’ve seen wicked prices on similar-tasting wet-storage shengs, so that would make this one a good deal. But it always leaves me wondering why not simply get a cheap-but-decent shou instead.

Since the category is not exactly my cuppa and I can’t figure out the economics, I will neither recommend or disrecommend this tea. Those of us leaning towards wet storage can make up their own mind from the description.

Flavors: Mushrooms, Tannin

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 4 OZ / 120 ML

Prep: 5g, 60cc gaiwan, boiling. Rinse, 10s, increasing from there for about 13 steeps.
Sessions with this tea: 3.

Taste: Starts off with old leather, mild bitterness, somewhat heavy mineral but more of a mouthfeel than a flavor. I don’t get any tobacco notes as previous reviews mention. Sweetens over time, but never becomes sweet, most of the bitterness drops out. Slightly hint of floral in later steeps, but ultimately it becomes almost bland.

Body: not pleasant drying sensation in the jaw, tingles back of the head, solid feeling in the chest, gives medium jittery energy. Mouthfeel is mineral throughout.

Flavors: Leather, Mineral

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 4 g 2 OZ / 60 ML

Inexpensive and and somewhat aged 2006 Feng Qing 7813 was one of my impulse purchases from YS, as it was (and apparently still is) inexpensive in its age group. I have had this few times now, and I steeped about 8-9 g tea in 130 ml gaiwan those times. Just like AllanK noted in his review, the start was not good at all, but later steeps brought out the better side of this tea. I got some mineral, tobacco and slightly floral flavours from the dark liquor and personally I found it somewhat off-putting.

As you might have noticed, personally I did not like this tea much, but it was still drinkable and far from the worst I’ve had . Maybe if you prefer a bit aged, but inexpensive tea, this might be for you, although in my opinion there are still many better teas even in this price and age range.

Flavors: Mineral, Tobacco

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 9 g 4 OZ / 130 ML

This tea is not bad, also by no means incredible. I did like it in the end even if it started badly. It started out with notes of tobacco and leather. This slowly transformed into something nicer over a period of many steeps. By the twelfth steep I was getting a sweet note that slightly reminded me of prunes. A little bit of sour sweetness if it could be described as such. I think this is a tea that is really just changing. It had a very dark color to the tea liquid. It was aging. It seemed in the middle of the aging process. I don’t have room for this in my pumidor so it will have to be dry stored in the New York humidity. We have hot humid summers and dryer the rest of the year. We will see if this tea improves. It’s not exactly bad tea, there is just a lot of room for improvement.

I steeped this tea twelve times in a 120ml gaiwan with 9.4g leaf and boiling water. I gave it a 10 second rinse. I steeped it for 5 sec, 5 sec, 7 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 25 sec, 30 sec, 45 sec, 1 min, 1.5 min, and 2 min. I am neither going to recommend this tea nor am I going to not recommend this tea. Some people will like it, some will not. The notes of leather and tobacco did turn into something more pleasant. My best description for this new note is a slightly sour sweet taste of prunes. By this I do not mean the tea had a noticeable sour note, just a slight taste.

Flavors: Leather, Tobacco

Boiling 9 g 4 OZ / 120 ML
S.G. Sanders

Teas like this are reasons why I stopped smoking cigars. I might have to pick some of this up.

AllanK

This was a very inexpensive tea too, around $32 I think.

S.G. Sanders

Awesome! I’ll have to grab some soon.

AllanK

The notes of tobacco in this were not as strong as the ones I’ve encountered in Yangqinghao teas.