2002 Aged Wild Liu Bao Tea "803" from Guangxi

Pu-erh Tea
Earth, Hay, Sweet, Warm Grass, Vegetal, Wood, Stems, Grass, Bitter, Burnt Food, Cherry, Decayed Wood, Leather, Nutmeg, Nutty, Pear, Pine, Popcorn, Tart, Tobacco, Wet Wood, Berries, Dark Chocolate, Pleasantly Sour, Spices, Autumn Leaf Pile, Camphor, Freshly Cut Grass, Green, Mud, Vegetables, Spicy
Edit tea info Last updated by Togo
Boiling 1 min, 0 sec 6 g 4 oz / 104 ml

3 Images

From Yunnan Sourcing

Liu Bao Tea

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Vastly prefer the 2001 Te Ji grade Chen Xiang. I’ve been spoiled by that one.

But I wasn’t disappointed by this session. It stood in as a sort of ghostly memory of the former’s taste profile and progression, though it lacked the energy. It was enjoyable to discover this.

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Beetroots. Mold. Mushrooms. Damp soil.
Bittersweet, spicy/dry finish. Interesting for sure, however I don’t see so much complexity and I’m not a big fan of this flavours. It brings to my mind images of Slovenian forests, dark and wet, with a rusticity difficult to describe. I think “lack of humanity”, “bears and worms”, “grey sky”.
Mild alerting qi.

Boiling 5 g 3 OZ / 75 ML

I thought this tea was a shou puer. I’m glad it isn’t as I now have a new type of tea to explore. Sure heichas and shous are siblings. Some would suggest that all shous are heichas but not all heichas are shous.

This tea is wonderful. I’m going to politely disagree with those that suggest grass as in mowed grass. Mowed grass scent and taste is more of a green tea and this is not a green tea. Now… I’m going to tell you that it does have a grassy scent and taste. When you were a kid, did you ever walk along, come across grass that had grown a really tall stalk with seeds, ripped that stalk from the rest of the grass plant and then sucked/chewed on the end of the grass stem? That’s how the first couple of infusions of this tea are. It so reminds me of a meadow after a quick rain, or the bank of a pond or lake. I’ve had this tea several times since I bought a basket of it. The other times, I’ve gotten more of an earthy flavor from this tea. Hopefully that means I’m getting better at tasting different nuances and will be able to write better reviews.

The taste hits you right square in the middle of the tongue. No preamble, no aftertaste. The taste is just there and then it’s like, where’d it go? Ok maybe it lingers a little while.

Subsequent brewings bring out a little more woodiness in a good way.

Flavors: Earth, Hay, Sweet, Warm Grass, Vegetal, Wood

0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

stunning cha qi
lubricating

Flavors: Grass, Hay

Boiling

One of my favourites from the Hei Cha sampler is this aged Liu Bao. All Liu Bao teas I’ve had have a somewhat simple profile and this one is no exception. However, it is exceptional in how much of a comforting brew it produces. I have little doubt that it has to do with a successful maturation process over the last 17 years. Moreover, it seems to last longer than similar teas, I got just short of 200ml/g from it.

The dry leaf aroma is distinctively “dungeon-like”. In the wet leaf smell, I further noticed notes of decaying wood, pear, leather, tobacco, cherry, and burnt popcorn. The taste is tart, earthy, bitter and nutty, with notes of pine, wet wood, walnuts, and nutmeg. I find it very hard to place the aftertaste in relation to anything, but it is long-lasting with an interesting character – seems to disappear and reappear over time. Finally, the mouthfeel is very smooth and colloidal with a medium body to the liquor.

Song pairing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0xlVDLCXGo

Flavors: Bitter, Burnt Food, Cherry, Decayed Wood, Earth, Leather, Nutmeg, Nutty, Pear, Pine, Popcorn, Tart, Tobacco, Wet Wood

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 4 OZ / 120 ML

This Liu Bao has a muddier, grassier taste and is not as sweet as the 2003 Hei Cha I tried recently. There is the slightest hint of blackberry and birch bark but the mud and earth tones dominate. It’s pleasant to drink and has a beautiful reddish color but it’s not all that complex; good to steep throughout a cold day.

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 4 OZ / 130 ML

My first introduction to Liua Bao Hei Cha was a good one with this tea. In fact not only was it my first Liu Bao, but also my first hei cha. For those of you who do not know what hei cha is: Hei cha means ‘black tea’ and is a term that is generally used for all post-fermented tea other than ripe/shou pu-erh (shou pu-erh is technically also a hei cha, but from a specific region).

When I had brewed this 16 year old tea what I noticed was that it had a sort of ‘sour’ fruity flavour that I hadn’t experienced with shou pu-erh before. There was also a hint of pine. After several steepings it turned into a sweet licorice kind of smell. The taste was fairly sweet, smooth and creamy. The qi was powerful enough to give me an alert and awake feeling, but it wasn’t over-powering. It was very enjoyable to drink. Aftertaste was the sort of dark chocolaty woody taste that people who are familiar with shou pu-erh will probably recognise.. I could get quite a number of steepings out of this tea, it was only after 12 (large) cups that the strength of the tea started to diminish so much that it wasn’t enjoyable to me anymore (I must say that I like my tea quite strong, so people who enjoy their teas lighter may even get more steepings out of it).

This tea has definately made me interested in trying more tea of this hei cha ‘style’. If you like shou pu-erh you will probably like this tea as well.. Even though this is my first Liu Bao, and therefore I don’t know how this tea holds up to other teas of the same style, I am fairly confident to say that this is a good tea in general for the price and as such I can recommend it to all people who are interested in post-fermented tea, especially those who are interested in older teas of this type.

Flavors: Berries, Dark Chocolate, Pine, Pleasantly Sour, Spices, Wet Wood

Forgot I had this sample sitting around. Bought a bunch of Liu Bao samples a while back and got to figuring that they all tasted like someone boiled some rotten twigs and leaves and made you lick it off a moldy basement floor…not my bag. So when I found this unopened sample I was curious I was intrigued but leery…Turns out that this tea actually reminds me of a good shou. It does have the decayed wood taste but also notes of marzipan and strangely Dr Pepper. Not sure I’d drink this daily but it is nice.

2002 aged wild Liu bao 803 review

Dry leaf: green, veggies, cut grass. I never smelled a raw puerh like this before! ( this is a raw puerh right?) what is it that I’m smelling?

Wet leaf: im so confused! Is this a raw or ripe? If this is a raw, it smells cool aged. light earth/fermentation. heavy autumn leaves

Just found out it might not be a sheng or shou :( I was hoping this is what aged sheng would smell like.
My friend says it could be a black tea or an oolong and a small chance it could be a sheng

So now I hear it’s a hei cha.

Well sadness aside, on with the review

1x medium rinse

I let it sit for about a half hour to 45 mins.

Light steep: I taste/smell; light —→ earth/fermentation, autumn leaves. Slight camphor.

Medium steep: I taste/smell; medium —→ earth/fermentation, autumn leaves. Light camphor

Heavy steep: I taste/smell; strong earth/fermentation, autumn leaves. Light to medium camphor. Light mud.

All in all this is an amazing tea! The taste, aroma and cha qi is amazing. I rate a 100!

Many thanks AllanK for this sample!

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Camphor, Earth, Freshly Cut Grass, Green, Mud, Vegetables

200 °F / 93 °C 8 g 6 OZ / 165 ML
AllanK

Liu Bao is not puerh.

AllanK

It is a type of hei cha.

Kirkoneill1988

Yes I stated half way through my review that I confused it for a puerh

Got this in a recent YS order and tried it for the first time today. I was dismayed when I opened the bag, because it smelled like wet, almost rotten leaf pile. The only other tea I’ve tried that smelled a bit like this was almost unpalatable to me. For this I used 6g in a 100mL gaiwan with boiled water. I did two rinses because I was nervous of wetness. The liquid of this tea was remarkably clear and an orangish brown color. It got more red as the session went on. I did steeps of 7s, 10s, 15s, 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s. I almost certainly could have gotten more but I sort of had to rush through the session.

The flavor was dominantly wet wood, but wasn’t particularly unpleasant. The smell which had put me off in the beginning became a bit more alluring as I drank the tea, maybe just because I knew the taste wasn’t nasty. Around the third steep a sort of softer/creamy flavor started to creep in on the aftertaste, and the next steep reminded me a good bit of shou. The next one (the last I got to) had a bit of a metallic taste along with wet wood, feeling like it may have been dying, I don’t know. Glad I have 50g of this to mess around with.

Flavors: Wet Wood

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
boychik

It is nice. I like it in Yixing more than gaiwan

Matu

I did enjoy it for sure. Don’t have me an Yixing yet so won’t be able to try that way just yet unfortunately :P