2017 Yunnan Sourcing Impression Raw Pu-erh Tea Cake

Pu-erh Tea
Artichoke, Bitter, Compost, Green, Vegetables, Vegetal, Dry Grass, Floral, Forest Floor, Honey, Hot hay, Menthol, petrichor, Pleasantly Sour, Straw, Umami
Edit tea info Last updated by Togo

• “It’s a relief to move away from bagged teas finally and back into the puerh realm. I have a sample of 2017 Impression from the benevolent Togo. Thanks, Togo :) The dry leaf on this is very...” Read full tasting note
  • “The steamy hot leaves smell like artichoke! Strongest note I taste is vegetal. Maybe next time I brew It will be better” Read full tasting note
  • “This is a pleasant surprise! I wasn’t expecting anything more than a daily drinker but I think this exceeds that category. The tea is clean (I drank the rinse) and right on point for a young sheng,...” Read full tasting note
  • “Revisiting this cake 1 year after my previous note, although I have drunk it throughout the year several times too. Dry leaves are quite fragrant with the dominant aroma being a fairly standard...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

This year’s Impression is unique for this year and consists of tea leaves from Spring and Autumn, originating from Mengku, Bang Dong, and Jing Gu tea gardens. The tea has been grown naturally and processed in the traditional method. We blended various teas together to achieve a powerful blend that has strong mouth feeling, cha qi and a balanced sweet, bitter and astringent profile.

In 2012 I created the first impression blend to be an alternative to a Xiaguan or Da Yi 7542, but it has far surpassed those mass market teas in both quality and value! I also feel strongly that this tea being very strong in aroma, mouthfeel, bitter/astringent, infusability and Cha Qi, makes it a good choice for long-term aging!

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

The dry leaf on this is very impressive, shimmering and velvety in the light. It reminds me of a rock covered in lichen, twigs and dirt. It smells like mineral soil and stonefruit. Warming the leaf brings out a date sweetness with the stonefruit and soil. After the rinse, I can smell artichoke, dates, baked apricot and soil.

The first pour is a clear gold with a soft and fruity aroma. It’s dominated by a clean vegetal tone and finishes with peach and apricot. The aftertaste is of apricot and faint pine. Moving along, some bitterness comes in but it is smooth and not penetrating, complementary to the tastes. The texture remains light in the mouth but never lacking. The liquor transitions into tastes of a pleasant leafy and dry grass brassiness, which to me is evidence of autumn material, and the stonefruit finish turns into faint florals. Astringency picks up in the seventh steep and I ended at the ninth, feeling the tea had not much more to offer. The energy is light and calming.

2017 Impression is drinkable now and caused no stomach discomfort. Based on the initial review by Oolong Owl, the bitterness is already taming, or maybe I’m less sensitive to bitter. It seems to be suitable for daily drinking given its smoothness, longevity and energy.

Edit: Am I crazy for thinking this is drinkable now? HA!

205 °F / 96 °C 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Flavors: Artichoke

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
mrmopar

Age it a few years. I still don’t think it is quite ready. The 2012’s are starting to hit the sweet spot.

This is a pleasant surprise! I wasn’t expecting anything more than a daily drinker but I think this exceeds that category. The tea is clean (I drank the rinse) and right on point for a young sheng, with predominantly apricot flavors and a pleasant astringency. The second through fourth steeps were noticeably thicker and sweeter with some nutty and grassy notes emerging. It also produces a nice tea buzz. A great value!

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 4 OZ / 130 ML

Revisiting this cake 1 year after my previous note, although I have drunk it throughout the year several times too. Dry leaves are quite fragrant with the dominant aroma being a fairly standard sheng one – gasoline – complemented by beeswax and forest floor. The wet leaf aroma hasn’t changed that much, I can mostly smell cooked cabbage now.

First few infusions have a nice floral bitterness and taste of dry grass. The finish is somewhat sour, which continues on in the aftertaste too, which also has a distinctive honey note and induces a cooling and tickling sensation in the throat. It is a long and evolving aftertaste, better than I remember from previous sessions. There is a noticeable huigan and I notice a nice head clarity and body warmth after just the first two steeps. The mouthfeel is buttery and on the thin side.

Overall, I am really liking the progression of this tea in its first two years. It is quite a bit on the savoury side at the moment, but it is tasty and with a very nice cha qi and a strong aftertaste. A great value for the cake, that’s for sure.

Flavors: Bitter, Dry Grass, Floral, Forest Floor, Honey, Hot hay, Menthol, petrichor, Pleasantly Sour, Straw, Umami, Vegetables

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 90 ML

I am drinking 2017 Impression very young, with it being released just a few months ago. It is balanced, yet bitter, pungent, and astringent with a nice kick of tea energy. There are notes of stone fruit but mostly bitter bitter bitter. It does taste great in silver, bringing out the fruity floral and numbing the bitter. Overall a great price and a tea you should stash to age or drinking in silver.

Full review on Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/2017-impression-sheng-puer-from-yunnan-sourcing/

Boiling 1 g 1 OZ / 15 ML