Nan Nuo Mountain Assamica Varietal Black Tea * Spring 2018

Black Tea Leaves
Baked Bread, Chocolate, Flowers, Honey, Malt, Sweet Potatoes
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy

10 Images

1 Tasting Note View all

• “One of many Yunnan assamicas that are typically processed into puehrs but Yunnan Sourcing is now offering as regular red teas. Large wiry leafs, fresh floral malty aroma, which is being nicely...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

We love pure Assamica varietal black teas and this early spring pick from the Shi Tou Xin Zhai (New Stone Village) area of the Nan Nuo Mountains in Menghai is both unique and delicious!

When we refer to pure Assamica, we are basically referring to the same tea plant that produces Pu-erh tea. In fact, this tea grower processes his teas into both black tea and Pu-erh tea, all from the same bushes.

This tea when brewed offers a dried longan type sweetness, a thick viscous body with a malty finish.

March 2018 Harvest

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

1 Tasting Note

One of many Yunnan assamicas that are typically processed into puehrs but Yunnan Sourcing is now offering as regular red teas. Large wiry leafs, fresh floral malty aroma, which is being nicely complimented by a pronounced sweet potato note as a wet leaf. The taste did not appear very complex to me: very sweet, in a honey and flower ways. Plus some chocolate, sweet potato and baked bread. The aftertaste is not particularly remarkable nor strong: some rather generic honey and chocolate.

It is a simple but pleasant tea, “not that there’s anything wrong with that”. The type that you are certain to finish (and enjoy!) but equally certain not to re-order because it does not stand out in any way.

P.S. I feel somewhat intimidated because the template for this tea had been created by eastkyteaguy and he has it in his cupboard…which means that soon he will post here a detailed review that would meticulously document about 20 other aromas and flavors for that tea that I had failed to pick up…but I feel bold today.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Chocolate, Flowers, Honey, Malt, Sweet Potatoes

eastkyteaguy

This amuses me. I’m really not that intimidating. I promise.

Bluegreen

Well, it was mostly frustration with myself: there was a certain rather unique aroma that this tea had (besides obvious ones that I managed to discern and describe) and I tried really hard to identify it but failed. Luckily, I know that you will be able to pinpoint it and then it would seem so obvious to me… You are doing a great service to the Steepster community with your incredibly detailed and organized reviews.