Classic Bai Lin Gong Fu Black tea of Fuding * Golden Monkey * Spring 2018

Black Tea Leaves
Baked Bread, Cocoa, Honey, Sweet Potatoes, Malt, Maple, Spices
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy
Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 12 oz / 354 ml

4 Images

• “Well, I have generally determined that Golden Blacks are one of my favorite types of tea. So, time to step my game up a notch! Western Style. 3 min with 212F Water. Wet leaf smells like honey and...” Read full tasting note
  • “I had this tea again and again it was Western style. I am starting to warm up to it, actually. Yes, it is till very demanding to its management (i.e., easy to oversteep), it is still not...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

Bai Lin Gong Fu (aka Golden Monkey) Black Tea is made from Fuding Bai Hao “White Pekoe” varietal tea leaves. Our Premium grade is a one leaf to 1 bud semi-tippy grade. The tea leaves are picked in sets with 1 leaf and 1 bud. The processing allows for a golden-orange furry tip completmented by a dark leaf.

The brewed tea is sweet, viscous, fruity and floral. Very smooth drinking black tea with a little bit of bite, but not too much. Some people might prefer this to our pure tips Imperial Grade.

This tea is often referred to as “Golden Monkey” Black tea by western vendors.

Spring 2018 harvest (Late April)

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Western Style. 3 min with 212F Water. Wet leaf smells like honey and muted cocoa with some maybe baked bread is it? Hard to say, I’m still learning this stuff.
Taste is… OH WOW. This is so much better than my Adagio Golden Monkey. I can see the similarities for sure, but all of the yumminess in this cup is turned up to 11. I’m getting strong cocoa and honey notes, and yes I’m calling it- it tastes like fresh baked bread. There’s something else there, I want to say ever so slight sweet potato, but really only the best parts of sweet potato because I really hate sweet potato and I’m definitely loving on this. Aftersip mouth taste is sweet and pleasing. Almost like a honeyed dinner roll. This is probably the best tea I’ve ever tasted in my life. Actually, “probably” may be misleading. I’m pretty much certain this is the best tea I’ve ever had. If there is better tasting tea out there, I don’t recall. I need this all the time. Bottom line: If you are a fan of the golden blacks, you owe it to yourself to try this. Go for it. This tea is wonderful.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cocoa, Honey, Sweet Potatoes

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

I had this tea again and again it was Western style. I am starting to warm up to it, actually. Yes, it is till very demanding to its management (i.e., easy to oversteep), it is still not particularly intense and thus requires a very neutral or sweet water to shine… but I came to enjoy its understated sweetness and generally muted but oh so pleasing flavor palette. This seems to be a very good tea for a very particular kind of mood: relaxed, quiet, mellow, self-contented.

Recently I started finding many teas while not being suitably for the role of the everyday drinkers to be perfect companions for very specific moods. Unfortunately, most of these moods only rarely descend upon me and, consequently, I am becoming increasingly saddled with many highly mood-specific teas and cannot find anything I really want when I am in my “general mood” despite dozens and dozens of tea in my cupboard.

Which makes me want to immediately place another order in this never ending quest for the elusive tea that I would want to drink day in and day out like a happy koala bear.

Mastress Alita

The fact that I also find teas so keyed to being “in the mood” for a particular taste makes packing for a simple weekend trip out such an arduous task… I feel like I have to stuff my suitcase with half my cupboard because I don’t know what “mood” will strike me within the next three days!

Please keep things friendly and .