2018 Yunnan Sourcing Lucy Ripe Pu-erh

Pu-erh Tea
Tea, Toasty, Wood, Bitter, Blackberry, Blueberry, Camphor, Coffee, Earth, Fireplace, Fruity, Grapes, Nutty, Sour, Tart, Thick
Edit tea info Last updated by Togo
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 4 oz / 125 ml

• “I’m admittedly very new to pu-erh teas, and this is my first purchase from a reputable seller. I was somewhat apprehensive about how I’d like this tea, but it’s VERY accessible — even to my novice...” Read full tasting note
  • “Another one of Scott’s shou blends I really like, it has all the qualities I expect from these. The aroma is a mix of fruits (blueberries, blackberries), fresh seafood (calamari) and cooked meat....” Read full tasting note
  • “I don’t know why I bother with factory ripe pu erh, I might just stop buying it. Scott’s ripes from Yunnan Sourcing are almost always delicious, bold, high quality, tested for pesticides, and...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

Celebrating 7 years of Lucy! Loved by humans, feared and hated by squirrels and vultures, Lucy is a force to be reckoned with! Feel the thunderclap of her gallop, hear her stomach rumble, behold her shiny luster, listen to her snore, and breathe in her cinnamon and watermelon scent!

You saw the pictures, the silly little videos, profile pictures, Youtube guest appearances, and facebook mentions, so you knew this day would come! The queen has arrived and she has ascended to her rightful throne in this year of the dog 2018!

The tea itself is a blend of Menghai and Lincang (Mengku) ripe teas from two different wet piling batches, the Menghai batch is from Spring 2016 material, the Lincang ripe is from spring 2017 harvested tea leaves.

The taste is rich and pure, there is a crisp woodiness in the tea followed by a thick sweetness. The tea soup is dark but not cloudy, the mouth-feel is pungent, cooling and lubricating. The tea leaves are very robust and will deliver 8 to 10 infusions or more when brewed gong fu style. Cha Qi is strong for a ripe tea, but very pleasant and nurturing.

This is a tea to sip contemplatively and imagine oneself living the lazy life of a spoiled dog. Sunning, eating, and sleeping without any anxiety or concerns for the future.

250 grams per cake (7 cakes per bamboo leaf tong)

Wrapper Design by Rising Red Lotus (Brandon Sadler)

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

I’m admittedly very new to pu-erh teas, and this is my first purchase from a reputable seller. I was somewhat apprehensive about how I’d like this tea, but it’s VERY accessible — even to my novice palate.

There’s a wonderful scent to the tea, and it has very little astringency. There’s a depth of flavor that continues to evolve over multiple infusions. I’m overjoyed with how delicious this tea is, and I’d absolutely recommend it to anyone. As a new pu-erh drinker, I’m extremely satisfied with my purchase.

Very delicious, very aromatic, very accessible tea. No “fishy” smell or taste. After drinking several infusions of this tea gongfu style, I felt relaxed, and my senses were invigorated. I’ll work on detecting the subtler flavors next!

Flavors: Tea, Toasty, Wood

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 9 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

Another one of Scott’s shou blends I really like, it has all the qualities I expect from these. The aroma is a mix of fruits (blueberries, blackberries), fresh seafood (calamari) and cooked meat. The first thing I notice is when drinking the tea is its extremely lubricating and oily mouthfeel that makes me salivate. It is also decently thick and a touch chalky. Taste-wise, it is a very smooth and woody tea. It is more savoury than sweet. Among the flavours I get are those of fireplace, coffee, and blue grapes. The aftertaste is more sweet and earthy and balances out the profile nicely. There is a sort of expansive camphor-like fragrance, nutty flavour and hints of sourness, shades of which are noticeable in the liquor itself as well actually.

In the middle of the session, the profile has some bitterness as well, which is nice. Overall, I would describe the tea as a fruity and woody one with little sweetness and camphor-like aftertaste.

Flavors: Bitter, Blackberry, Blueberry, Camphor, Coffee, Earth, Fireplace, Fruity, Grapes, Nutty, Sour, Tart, Thick

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

I don’t know why I bother with factory ripe pu erh, I might just stop buying it. Scott’s ripes from Yunnan Sourcing are almost always delicious, bold, high quality, tested for pesticides, and overall consistently good. Lucy is no exception. It is subtly different from their other ripes, a little more complex. I think there is a bit of camphor in the background, which is nice. It tastes of bittersweet chocolate and very slight smoke. Very smooth, and moderate caffeine. Another winner from YS.

Cwyn

I’m sort of kicking myself for not buying Rooster before it sold out.

Rich

Yeah, just saw that as well. I have one cake and was about to order more. That last sale saw the Year of the Goat Ripe sell out as well, but I bought 2 tongs of it since I had the feeling it was about to sell out. I just ordered samples of the other 2018 YS ripes sou can see which ones I will like. I will not make the same mistake again!