Nabeshima: Hida Mugicha Barley Tea

Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by Mastress Alita
Iced 8 min or more 10 g 33 oz / 973 ml

2 Images

• “Quick tasting note: I had it in the afternoon and now writing it after watching Cirque de Soleil show on TV. Love it! As for “tea”, I took two teaspoons for 300 ml glass mug. Hot water. Other...” Read full tasting note
  • “After reading Togo’s and Mastress Alita’s reviews, I went for a cold brew instead of hot. Ten grams of whole barley grains to a liter overnight in the fridge. The result was a very fragrant and...” Read full tasting note
  • “For my latest batch of iced tea I decided to make a quart of cold brewed mugicha, Japanese roasted barley tea. I’ve never tried it before, but know it is a cultural staple there for the summer...” Read full tasting note
  • “Cold brew review: This tisane is really suited for a cold brew. It is very easy to drink and possesses a great balance of honey sweetness, roasted nuttiness and a hint of sour notes. Although not...” Read full tasting note

From Yunomi

NAME
Hida Mugicha, Barley Tea from the Hida Region
CULTIVAR
Fiber Snow Barley
INGREDIENTS
Barley (grown in Hida, Gifu Prefecture)
VENDOR
Nabeshima Meicha Co., Ltd.
BUSINESS
Agricultural processing and other businesses.
BUSINESS SIZE
4 employees, part of a group of companies run by the family totaling 3-4 dozen employees.
LOCATION
12 Shimoichinomachi, Takayama-shi, Gifu Prefecture
ESTABLISHED
1908

Distributed by Yunomi: https://yunomi.life/products/hida-mugicha-barley-tea

About Yunomi View company

Quick tasting note:

As for “tea”, I took two teaspoons for 300 ml glass mug. Hot water.
Other family members thought it’s weak, unflavourful.
But my senses are saying something else. I liked light roasted notes, bit nutty, bit coffee bitterness (I had dark coffee just once, otherwise I drink cappuccino or latté, if I do).

It was interesting and I will try cold brew too.

PS: tomorrow I am leaving for week long holiday. No, or very limited internet connection. Taking my DF teas with me to drink while other will have afternoon coffee. I won’t make tasting notes for sure. I will be okay, I will come up with some very nice tea!

ashmanra

Enjoy your holiday! My daughter is in Prague right now and posting pictures of the beautiful places! She said she had an awesome taxi driver who taught her some Czech and recommended some places for her to go and things to do. She thought he was wonderful! So it is a very positive and happy experience for her!

Leafhopper

Have a great vacation! :)

tea-sipper

I hope you have a great week!

Martin Bednář

Ashmanra: Woohoo I am happy for her that she got good driver and did not get some rude, fat, stinky driver. That’s certainly a good experience.

Leafhopper & tea-sipper: thank you both!

Kawaii433

Enjoy! How a great time.

After reading Togo’s and Mastress Alita’s reviews, I went for a cold brew instead of hot. Ten grams of whole barley grains to a liter overnight in the fridge. The result was a very fragrant and refreshing cold drink! It had a light, coating texture and tasted on the sip like roasted grains (heh) and that turned into coffee and burnt sugar on the swallow. Lingering, pleasant aftertaste. I can see why this is so popular in the summer in Japan. Not as obviously coffee-tasting as the Lupicia Apricot Barley Tea I tried recently. I’ll have to make a stop at Yunomi for a big bag of this when I’m more comfortable with my cupboard size.

Thanks for the generous sample, Togo :)

Iced 10 g 34 OZ / 1000 ML
Mastress Alita

I prefer this more than the flavored ones I’ve tried, too. So easy to just drop a bag in a quart of cold water and leave it in the fridge overnight and have delicious iced tea for the water bottle the next day. So good!

derk

These were the bulk whole grains, not in a bag or cracked like what is shown on Yunomi’s website. I might purchase the bags since the whole grains float and quickly clog my strainer when transferring from brew jar to glass.

Mastress Alita

Ah, the ones I ordered from Yunomi came in bags, and each teabag held 10g so they are just perfect for a quart/litre of iced tea. And a bag has 20 teabags in it. Though Yunomi also sells it loose in a 300g bulk bag as well.

For my latest batch of iced tea I decided to make a quart of cold brewed mugicha, Japanese roasted barley tea. I’ve never tried it before, but know it is a cultural staple there for the summer months, so I’ve been very curious to try it. The mugicha I purchased from Yunomi came in 10g bags, so I simply dropped one in my quart mason jar, sealed it up, and left it to cold brew in my fridge overnight.

Now, I have a confession to make… I like coffee. Yes, it’s true, you can revoke my Steepster account and kick me off the site now. I drank it for years, until I had to go through a “caffeine detox” period to test if caffeine affected my migraines (for better or for worse). During that time I switched to tisanes, since I was still so used to having warm beverages in the morning, and was really shocked by all the flavor options. Once it was determined caffeine wasn’t a migraine trigger and I could have it, I just started exploring more teas rather than taking back up coffee, but that doesn’t mean I don’t like it or won’t drink it. In fact, if I don’t have good tea on me at a restaurant, I will order coffee instead rather than take their LQ brand bagged drivel. If I’m going to be paying for a single cuppa, I at least want to make it a good cuppa, and I’ll take a froo-froo mocha over Lipton or Bigelow anyday!

So imagine my surprise to discover that roasted barley tasted exactly like chilled coffee! I was expecting mugicha to have a sort of houjicha taste from the roasting process, but I’m definitely getting a very distinct coffee bean sort of flavor… the only difference is the drink is of course not as heavy of a mouthfeel as coffee, and very light and refreshing without leaving that acidic feeling in the stomach. I looooooove iced coffee and usually ordered my drinks iced rather than hot at cafes, so this was an extremely pleasant surprise! I can only imagine that I’ll be making loads of this stuff over the summer.

Flavors: Coffee, Roasted

Iced 8 min or more 10 g 32 OZ / 946 ML
teepland

This sounds wonderful! I also have given up regular coffee due to health issues (stomach in my case), and I occasionally miss the flavor of coffee as well. I kept hearing that yerba mate is the closest I’d find to coffee, but wasn’t impressed with it when I tried it. I will be sure to find this tea to keep on hand for those days when I am in the mood for coffee!

Mastress Alita

Yerba Mate has that caffeine kick of coffee, but as far as flavor, I found it tasted like gunpowder green tea to me — that sort of tobacco-smoke vegetal flavor. This is an herbal tisane so it has no caffeine, but the flavor is definitely the closest I’ve found to coffee beans!

Lexie Aleah

I quite like Teeccino which is a tea alternative to coffee.
@Teepland That’s one of the main reasons I don’t drink coffee much anymore. On top of the fact I’m pickier flavor wise in terms of coffee and caffeine doesn’t have any effect on me.

teepland

Thanks, @Mastress Alita and @Lexie Aleah! Alternatives to coffee which still have something of the flavor sound great, so I am going to check these both out. I especially like the fact that both are caffeine-free, since that means they’d be great for any time of the day. Thanks!

Cold brew review:

This tisane is really suited for a cold brew. It is very easy to drink and possesses a great balance of honey sweetness, roasted nuttiness and a hint of sour notes. Although not very complex, it is enjoyable and refreshing. I like the mouthfeel too, it is neither drying nor mouth-watering, but coats the mouth very well.

For the price it is a great deal!

Flavors: banana, Honey, Roast nuts, Roasted Barley