drank Gyokuro Asahi by Tea Palace

I have a picture in my head of what a green tea tastes like. Gunpowder tea, for example, tastes a bit like it, sencha tastes even more like it. Now I have discovered Gyokuro and it seems to me to taste more like a green tea than any green tea I have ever tasted.

It’s delicious, and incredible how you can get so much flavour without tasting bitter. The experience is like a rainforest. You pull the infuser out of your pot or cup and some impossibly vibrant coloured stalks are showing through the mesh. The infuser drips with yellowish exotic-looking liquid. It smells full of life and energy and you can almost hear the animal calls and rustles that you would hear if you were in darkest Paraguay.

It’s a rainforest in a cup. Impressive for a leaf from the opposite end of the world

takgoti

Speaking of gyokuro, this reminds me that I should be drinking more of it. It truly is fascinating.

Comments

takgoti

I finished being a student in 2008 and began working in The North, where “tea” means “evening meal” which confuses me regularly. I love encouraging people to try new teas, but when I’m not doing that, I play the trombone, play some sport (badly) and socialise

UK