drank Kukicha by Rishi Tea

Bought some at the bulk section of Central Market. I was intrigued by the beautiful parakeet yellow-green stems and the description of a creamy, low astringency, umami brew. It smells like… God, does anyone remember the crackers ’Munch’Ems’? They were delicious, thin, salty, buttery, savory crackers I loved as a kid. The leaves smell like Munch’Ems mixed with onigiri wrapped in a big sheet of nori. The tea itself is light, creamy, and no astringency to speak of. Not something I am in the mood for every day, but when I want it, it hits just the right spot. P.S. Rishi’s instructions are 1 tbsp for 3-4 minutes, but I used only a teaspoon for 1.5 minutes the first brew, and 2.5 minutes the second time.

I am lucky enough to make my living as a martial arts teacher and as a barista. When I’m not training or making cappuccinos, I relish cooking, reading, growing plants, and of course, drinking tea.

I love greens the most… the grassier the better! I also love oolongs and whites. I have a weak spot for anything with jasmine, mint, or lavender.

Austin, TX