drank Plum Oolong by Rishi Tea

Still trying to figure this one out. I am new to oolongs, so I’m not sure what I’m supposed to taste on that front, but I do know that I taste a lot of the other juicy stuff that’s in here (hibiscus, rose hips, and ‘dried schizandra berries’… which I guess is the plum part?), and not much else. In the first steep, I get this kind of smoky, tea-like aftertaste when the tea is piping hot… must be the oolong! But as it cools it mellows out into this juicy pink brew that tastes… dare I say it? Like an HERBAL. The second steep (even at 8 minutes long!) fails to taste like anything but a hibiscus herbal.

I’m not too big on a lot of hibiscus, but unlike other teas that actually bill themselves as a juicy pink herbal, I like that this hibiscus is a lot more subdued. The liquor is more blushing pink than drag queen magenta. This tea is nice, simply nice. Do I think it’s a good example of an oolong? Not sure… can’t say I know much about oolongs at this point.

I am lucky enough to make my living as a martial arts teacher and as a barista. When I’m not training or making cappuccinos, I relish cooking, reading, growing plants, and of course, drinking tea.

I love greens the most… the grassier the better! I also love oolongs and whites. I have a weak spot for anything with jasmine, mint, or lavender.

Austin, TX