Formosa Pouchong

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Ilya Kreymerman

From Adagio Teas

Oolong tea from Taiwan. When Portuguese explorers 1st discovered Taiwan they gave it the name Formosa, or “Beautiful Island” The oolong teas grown here continue to be called by this name. The least processed of Formosa oolongs are termed pouchong. This incredible pouchong is a lightly oxidized tea w/ large wavy, loosely twisted, dark green leaves. The dry leaf offers an aroma reminiscent of the 1st buds of spring rising from the wet earth. Proper brewing yields a brilliant, if pale, golden-green liquor and a taste that is mild and softly floral with medium body and no astringency. As the liquor cools your palate will be rewarded w/ a buttery sweet finish that lingers on the tongue.

3g/8oz 205 degree F water for 1-2 min. Good for multiple infusions.

About Adagio Teas View company

In honor of today’s Steepster Select, I decided to go thru the set again. Light and smooth, slightly crisp. A great choice for a not all that warm summer day when you still want hot tea… although this entire set would be amazing iced as well. Not to mention it’s a gorgeous tea to watch steep!

Cofftea

2nd infusion, 4 min. Slightly lighter liquor, slightly sweeter flavor. Yummy!

Cofftea

3rd infusion, 5 min. Pretty much like the 2nd.

Cofftea

4th infusion, 6 min. Like the past 3- perfect w/ lunch.

Cofftea

5th infusion, 7 min. Still no change.

Cofftea

As I’m drinking this infusion I’m getting a thicker mouth feel… interesting… and delicious!

Cofftea

6th infusion, 8 min, Slighty thinner mouth feel than infusion 5, but thicker than the 1st 4.

The dry leaves smell fairly uninspiring. A little floral and perhaps a bit of salty plastic (the type of plastic that they make Cabbage Patch Kids faces out of). Post brewing, though, is a much different story. Sweet, floral, creamy.

The taste isn’t as thick as some pouchongs I’ve had but it is very tasty. Creamy, green, it is simultaneously a warm cuddle and a happy puppy. The front end is somewhat heavy, thick and creamy with floral and some sweet milk-oolong-like notes. Then the second half of the taste brightens up, tasting less cuddly/cloudy and more clear/springy as it brings up hints of white grape and gardenia and a faint astringency after the sip.

I tend to like my pouchongs on the richer side of the spectrum and the end note here makes this one seem brighter, but I really like it. I’d like to see what it would do at a lower temp – if I could get a little more cream, a little less grape – but I’m pretty sure that no matter what, I’m going to enjoy working my way through the sample.

Second Steep (1min) It tastes wilted and boiled. Not even worth drinking the cup. Boo.
5g/10oz

Adagio’s Masters tea collection claims to be a cut abouve its normal teas – it certainly is a cut above their usual prices so I wanted to see if the teas were actually worthy the price before I forked over the money for a whole tin.

The appearance of the tea is certainly a cut above your basic green oolong – the leaves are beautiful jade-green twists that unfurl into large, whole leaves. The first steep is quite light with a very faint lilac scent with much of the same daintily-sweet floral quality to it.

The second steeping (@ 2:30) is fuller but it retains that floral quality without tasting or smelling like a cup of perfume. It’s still quite a ‘light’ tea compared to other oolongs that I’ve tasted and it feels quite smooth and clean in the mouth with no unpleasent aftertastes.

What a wonderful vegetal tea. So clean and crisp. I will continue to drink this tea.

Cofftea

Got clean and crisp, Not earthy though.

RachanaC (Rachel)-iHeartTeas

You are right I used the wrong word. Thanks, I have corrected to what I meant to say.

Got this as part of Adagio’s Maestro Collection Sampler 1 and have been eager to try it. My patience has been rewarded with this tea. The flavor makes me reminisce some vegetal green teas while being a very complex and multi-layered oolong at heart. The first steep resulted in a light liquor and a sweet aroma and the 2nd and 3rd steeps became much more floral while losing the “green tea” flavors. Very much enjoyed this tea and look forward to experimenting with it more in the coming days.

I followed Adagio’s recommendations of 205º for 2 minutes, using 3g leaves/8oz water.

Cofftea

I wonder how this differs from their other pouchong…

Kyle Stern

Good question, can’t answer that one though. This is the first Pouchong from Adagio that I’ve had.

Oolong tea from Taiwan. The tea leaves are dark green color. Beautiful looking tea leaves. This oolong is very similar to a green tea.

Nose and Color: Very light color
-Just a slight pale green hue
-Looks like plain water almost
-I was very surprised
-Slight floral hints similar to the jasmine pearl in the same collection

Tasting:

-Second steeping is highly recommended. Adagio says it will fully unfurl the leaves and the floral notes will really come out.
-After trying multiple steeping I agree that the floral notes really do come out a lot more but the green tea flavor is lost a little bit.
-Tastes like a very light version of formosa ali shan. This flavor profile makes sense as they are both from the mountains of Taiwan.

Full Review here: http://www.indieteas.com/home/2010/4/12/tea-review-16-adagios-formosa-pouchong.html

Wonderfully light and floral with a slight butter aftertaste. Second steeping really transforms into an almost jasmine like floral taste and you lose the butter quality. It definitely costs enough, I’ll have to do a comparison with their standard pouchong back to back but this one does not disappoint and it holds up well to many resteepings.

Charming and light. Lovely light pale yellow color fading to near clear at the edges. Brilliantly floral on the nose… fresh lilies and jasmine come to mind. Light and smooth… honeydew and vanilla notes weave with the natural flowery green flavor. Perhaps a bit light for my tastes, but I really enjoyed this tea and would recommend it to anyone. A perfect way to start a tea tasting or tea dinner. A very classy cup!

195 °F / 90 °C 3 min, 0 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

This is a very light and floral oolong, and it is very smooth and easy to drink. It holds up to several steeps, but in my opinion, I cannot recommend this for what it is. It is tasty enough but it is EXORBITANTLY expensive for no good reason (also, in my humble opinion).

I haven’t had an oolong on the greener side of the spectrum in a long time and I’d forgotten how much I like them.

The leaves are jade green in the tin and they expand and unfurl and turn olive green after steeping. I steeped this in the gaiwan at 30, 45 and 1 minute, 2 steeps each.

The liquor is a yellow with no gold in it, that leans toward a green tone without actually getting to green, and it’s clear. The aroma is creamy, buttery, and floral. I wish I could identify the flowers. I want to say lily of the valley? Maybe lilac? But I’m not sure. There are various degrees of cream, butter and sweetness in each steep, including some downright sugary finishes. There’s something else too but for the life of me I can’t put my finger on the smell or taste. It’s really nice, though.

I quite liked this one. Yes, it’s been a long time and yes, I have very little memory of the last green oolong I had and how it stacks up, but as it stands now, I’ll definitely enjoy drinking this again.

195 °F / 90 °C