Dong Ding Oolong

Oolong Tea
Dried Fruit, Floral, Honey, Nutty, Raisins, Roasted, Chestnut, Toasted, Vegetal, Wood, Caramel, Cream, Nuts
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “Backlog: I am so impressed by Eco-Cha. Their packaging is gorgeous, and their teas are superb. This Dong Ding has a delicious "coffee" like flavor to it. Delicious, toasty, chestnut-y, sweet....” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4323 tasting notes
  • “Reminds me of a lighter Laoshan black from Verdant. Since I mostly stay away from roastier oolongs, the coffee/malt flavors are a surprise to me. Still, it's a smooth, comforting cup, and very...” Read full tasting note
    Flowery 141 tasting notes
  • “From Reddit: "Two reviews in one day? I'm crazy and you can't stop me. I run these parts, the tea review game is mine now. The table's flipped, now I've got all the coconuts b*tch (still mourning...” Read full tasting note
    apt 37 tasting notes
  • “Ooh! This roasted Dong Ding starts out with this wonderful mild roasted nutty flavor like a Houjicha, but then it opens up to the dried fruit and honey like qualities of Dong Ding, with so much...” Read full tasting note
    ShiningLion 68 tasting notes

From Eco-Cha Artisan Teas

Flavor: Roasted chicory, chestnuts, nutty, smoky, dried fruit.

Garden: This batch of tea comes from Yong Long Village, just above Dong Ding Mountain. Yong Long is known for a rich red soil which differs from other locales in Lu Gu Township. The unique flavor of the Dong Ding Oolong produced here is attributed to this soil quality, along with the fact this region is home to the most concentrated population of the most skilled oolong tea artisans in Taiwan.

Harvest: Hand picked, small batch. May 2013.

Elevation: 750m

About Eco-Cha Artisan Teas View company

Backlog:

I am so impressed by Eco-Cha. Their packaging is gorgeous, and their teas are superb. This Dong Ding has a delicious “coffee” like flavor to it. Delicious, toasty, chestnut-y, sweet. I got quite a few infusions out of this one too … and each delivered a lovely flavor.

The first cup (infusions 1 and 2) gave me a hint of raisin-y sweetness that I really enjoyed, plus the aforementioned coffee and chestnut flavors.

The second cup was a stronger raisin note, which made this cup taste even sweeter than the first. Still nutty, toasty, smoky and warm tasting.

The third cup became a little softer in taste and texture but was still very flavorful.

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/11/15/dong-ding-oolong-tea-eco-cha/

seule771

Dong-ding oolong and chestnut roasted on an open fire…; these reviews brings back the memory. I am suppose to be abstaining / withdrawals even.
Thank you for sharing, good review.

Reminds me of a lighter Laoshan black from Verdant. Since I mostly stay away from roastier oolongs, the coffee/malt flavors are a surprise to me. Still, it’s a smooth, comforting cup, and very satisfying. I’m a fan, even if I’m not exactly the target audience.

From Reddit:
“Two reviews in one day? I’m crazy and you can’t stop me. I run these parts, the tea review game is mine now. The table’s flipped, now I’ve got all the coconuts b*tch (still mourning over the Death Grips breakup)

Crazy music references aside, the dry leaves on this one are tightly rolled balls colored a combination of black and greed. They smell like roasty nuts. The wet leaves are a bit greener, and they smell super sweet. Strangely not like the dry leaves at all.

The liquor of this tea is tan, as expected for a rolled, medium roasted oolong. It smells of buttered popcorn, a very pleasant aroma to find in a tea.

This tea is super nutty in the early infusions, and then becomes a floral, sweet gaoshan. I like this better than other roasted oolongs I’ve had (a particularly good Traditional TGY comes to mind.) The finish is great, not overly floral but just enough to cool your mouth and throat. This tea isn’t super sweet, but it’s sweet enough.

I’m having this as a night tea and it fits the bill perfectly. It’s warming and soothing. The full body and low fragrance make this great for laid back drinking. This could be my go-to tea for night drinking.

This tea is $10 an ounce, which I believe is a pretty good value, but not a steal either. I’d definitely restock this one, it’s a really nice tea. The two teas that I’ve tried from Eco-Cha have been incredible, I can’t wait to try the rest (in a week)"

Ooh! This roasted Dong Ding starts out with this wonderful mild roasted nutty flavor like a Houjicha, but then it opens up to the dried fruit and honey like qualities of Dong Ding, with so much lingering sweetness. For a roasted tea, this one tastes very clean and leaves a nice clean feeling in the mouth and a tingly minty kind of freshness.

On the second steeping the roasted flavor has died off quite a bit revealing more of the sweet, nectar-like qualities of the tea. The more steepings in you go, the more creamy and mellow it gets, and the more it gives way to subtle floral, fruit and honey notes. This is a wonderful oolong for enjoying gongfu style to see how the many infusions change.

Flavors: Dried Fruit, Floral, Honey, Nutty, Raisins, Roasted

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

This Spring 2013 oolong hails from Dong Ding Mountain. It is not high altitude (1000ft), but the terrain is steep and often covered with fog. The soil is incredibly rich. In addition, this region is home to the most concentrated population of the most skilled oolong tea artisans in Taiwan.
The tea is hand-picked in small batches.
The dry leaf looks amazing – tiny coils that resemble snails – and the scent is wood and spring shrub or vegetative, plus some smokiness.
The taste is mellow, sweet syrupy, chestnut notes with slight raisin and smoked notes. There is a definite English floral note that lingers. It could be hyacinth (green, sweet, floral). There is minimal astringency, no dryness.
The second infusion delivered a sweeter flavor – time for those raisin notes to shine.
Overall, it delivers a complex taste – as well as many cups (up to four infusions last count).

Flavors: Chestnut, Floral, Raisins, Toasted, Vegetal, Wood

195 °F / 90 °C 1 min, 30 sec 2 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

I got this tea a little while ago when Eco-Cha had some good discounts on their older teas. This one was harvested in Spring 2013 so it is roughly a year old.

The age, I think, doesn’t matter, because this oolong is heavenly. Extremely fragrant (as much as I love fragrant teas, I don’t think I could drink this one when having a headache!), smelling like the purest, freshest, off-the-comb honey that was gathered from orchids and fruit blossoms. It tastes very sweet with a tiny amount of roastiness that balances the sweet notes out. The second resteep was even bolder in roasty notes (but they were still really mild) and also brought some vegetal notes.

This has everything I look for in an oolong. Because of its age, and because I have relatively a lot of it, I am going to make this one my evening staple… And I don’t know, but if it’s even better when it’s fresher, perhaps I am glad I got the older one :D So I don’t get too excited over it :D

This tea smells so good, roasted and warm little rolled tea leaves.
Brewed, the liquor is a dark amber jewel color and smells like roasted nuts and baked cookies.
Whoooaaaa!! The flavor is very delicious!!!! Creamy roasted goodness. I love Da Hong Pao and this one is rivaling that as my favorite roasty tea!!!!
I am glad I chose to take this down to 195 F. I am getting to where I don’t want to brew any tea at 212 F,,,it is too hot for the leaves for me. I love my tea kettle where I can set the temp that I want and 195 still gets the leaves to open and keeps them from being burned.
The wet leaves are all opened and a dark green color, as if they roasted them first and then rolled them (but I know nothing of how they create these wonderful teas).
It has that burnt sugar color and flavor in crème brûlee that I love. This is definitely a very yummy, complex, and worth getting more kind of tea!!!

Flavors: Caramel, Cream, Nuts

2/23/14 Afternoon tea. 5g/12oz/212F/4min 2 steeps. A very enjoyable dark oolong. I wanted a good strong tea for the afternoon, and this fit the bill perfectly. Strong roasty honey/coconut aromas in a lovely deep gold tea. It reminds me strongly of the roasted chestnuts I would buy from street vendors the winter I lived in Chicago. The second steep finished with a light astringency that was really nice.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 5 g 12 OZ / 354 ML
Eco-Cha 一口茶

Hi AnnaEA – glad you enjoyed this Dong Ding, it’s one of our favorites. Your roasted chestnut comment is right on!

I made an amazing discovery the other day, in 2011 Thundercats got a reboot. Yes, that Thundercats, the ridiculous 80s cartoon (one not based on a toy line, how unique!) with aliens, cat people, MUM RA THE EVER LIVING, and other awesome things that made it one of my favorite childhood shows. I didn’t have high hopes since the He-Man reboot was awful, but so far it has been amazing! It seems more adult (the death toll is astronomical thanks to all out war) the animation is great, and Snarf is an adorable pet instead of an 80s sidekick abomination. I am a very happy geek.

Today’s tea is a heavily roasted Dong Ding from Eco-Cha Artisan Tea. This tea is from Yong Long Villiage just above the Dong Ding (also spelled Tung Ting, translates to Frozen Summit) mountain at 750m and was gathered autumn of 2013. This will be my first roasted Dong Ding, I am excited since I love unroasted Dong Ding, seeing the transition of flavor and aroma will be enjoyable. The aroma is richly roasted like roasted pine nuts and toasted chestnuts. There are also notes of baking bread, molasses, and an underlying sweetness. As a finishing note there is a roasted coffee like aroma that is very faint but still noticeable.

Giving the tightly curled leaves a soak in my gaiwan reveals strongly roasted notes with toasted nuts and mild dried tobacco notes. There are also hints of roasted chicory and a note of floral. Oddly the floral aroma is also roasted, it is hard to describe other than roasted flowers, but it is quite nice and sweet. The liquid is a mixture of honey and molasses with toasted nuts and a hint of burnt chocolate.

The first steeping is as expected quite roasted with delicious notes of roasted nuts, molasses, cocoa, and honey. There is also strong floral notes of osmanthus which blends really well with the roasted and sweet notes. It is very rich and powerful, this is not a steeping that does ballet across your taste-buds, it break dances.

The second steep brings more unfurling of the leaves and an even stronger roasted quality to the aroma, I would even say it is a bit smoky. The liquid also has a much stronger roasted aroma but with honey sweet notes as well. As for the taste, well, it is intensely roasted and the vaguely smoky notes give the tea a slight bitterness that fades to a sweet aftertaste. There is more than just roast and smoke with this steeping, there is also notes of dried fruit and osmanthus flowers.

The third and final steep, well final for me, I am pretty sure this tea has a few more steepings in it but I am starting to slosh around when moving. The aroma of the leaves that are practically pushing the lid off my gaiwan are roasted and with a sharper roasted chicory note along with a definite pine nut aroma. The liquid is also very nutty and a touch sweet. Tasting the tea fills my mouth with roasted pine nuts and a touch of smoky notes. There is also the faint bitterness accompanied with a dry mouthfeel. This tea can best be described as robust, I would reccomend someone who is making the coffee to tea transition give it a try because it has similar qualities but with the recognizable floral qualities of an oolong. This tea was a fun change of pace from my usual unroasted and heavily sweet and floral oolongs, I can definitely see myself seeking this tea out during fall and winter when I want that robust roasted flavor.

For photos and blog: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/02/eco-cha-artisan-teas-dong-ding-oolong.html