Phoenix Mountain Oolong (#25)

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Stephanie

• “I decided to do a little nice thing for myself and join the Insider Tea Club at Golden Moon Tea. You get a delivery each month of a rare, not usually imported to the USA tea. It's a surprise (fun!)...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “These are crazy sturdy leaves! Long and winding, stiff and artistic-looking. It's a lovely Oolong. Somewhat floral-sweet, nutty, a little buttery. The end sip is somewhat like a gentle Jasmine...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “This was fantastic. I will resteep to give it a proper review later, however, for starters, this was amazing. I am very upset that there isn't a lot of this to go around, this is something I could...” Read full tasting note
    cinoi1551 243 tasting notes

From Golden Moon Tea

Insider Tea Club

Grown on the esteemed Phoenix Mountain, this Phoenix Mountain Oolong is exceptional in its flavor and aroma. Using one of the ancient tea trees, this tea should be re-steeped up to 12 times to savor every nuance in its flavor. Unlike other Phoenix Mountain Oolongs (or Dan Cong Oolongs) this tea is grown on a 1/3 acre private farm that is usually reserved for friends of the family. It is not an exaggeration to say that you are one of the few lucky people that will ever drink this tea.

Ingredients: Oolong Tea From Phoenix Mountain • Where it’s Grown: Guangdong Provence, China

About Golden Moon Tea View company

Golden Moon is dedicated to offering outstanding, whole-leaf teas of the greatest quality and finesse. All Golden Moon Teas are hand-plucked and meticulously crafted to enhance leaf character, aroma, color, clarity, body, complexity, and above all, flavor.

I decided to do a little nice thing for myself and join the Insider Tea Club at Golden Moon Tea. You get a delivery each month of a rare, not usually imported to the USA tea. It’s a surprise (fun!) and I also thought it would expand my horizons a bit — left to my own devices I tend to choose black, black, and more black tea, and the previous selections for the club were of a great variety.

This may have been the best decision I made in 2013! I am drinking the second selection today (the first is a beautiful looking Tie Guan Yin that I’m saving for slightly warmer weather) and it is astonishingly good. Pale greenish yellow. Slightly floral. Gorgeously present mouthfeel. Buttery. nutty. I’m brewing it Western style and am on the second steep — rumor has it that it is wonderful through steep 12 Western Style (through steep 20 gong fu!) so I have quite a day ahead of me! Next time I’ll try it gong fu and bring in a glass cup because the color is truly something to behold.

I also must give kudos for the packaging (screw top tin), informational postcard with brewing instructions, and just general all around attention to detail. My little $20 a month spurge is making me feel like a millionaire! An INSIDER millionaire! ;)

Tealizzy

I totally should do that. I’m like you, I love black tea! Exploring the unknown is exciting though!

Marcus

I am glad you like it!

How did you brew the tea?

JacquelineM

Marcus – very inexpertly! Western style – I tried to figure 1.5 grams without a scale with the help of a measuring cup tutorial that I saw on the internet :) 8 oz of water. I am finally going to invest in a scale now that I have this insider tea coming every month. :) I also am liking the wide mouth Gaiwan on the Golden Moon site.

What a great experience!

Kashyap

This is the scale I use for cuppings and demos and its a decent price, small portable size, and the top is good for holding leaves : http://www.staufs.com/storeproduct955.aspx

These are crazy sturdy leaves! Long and winding, stiff and artistic-looking. It’s a lovely Oolong. Somewhat floral-sweet, nutty, a little buttery. The end sip is somewhat like a gentle Jasmine in comparison to give you an idea of flavor.

Delightful!

This was fantastic. I will resteep to give it a proper review later, however, for starters, this was amazing. I am very upset that there isn’t a lot of this to go around, this is something I could drink every day for the rest of my life.

The scent of the leaves is slight floral, a little nutty, smells divine. The liquor is a pale yellow with similar aroma. The taste is delicious.