Doke Rolling Thunder Oolong (2nd Flush 2012)

Oolong Tea
Autumn Leaf Pile, Malt
Edit tea info Last updated by Geoffrey Norman

From Lochan Tea Limited

This a new offering from our own tea garden, Doke Organic Farm in Bihar.

This totally unique Oolong tea from Doke carefully prepared in such a manner that there is a high percentage of silver tips present in this tea.

This tea gives an amber liquor and the aroma is quite strong and fruity.

Profits from the sale of all Doke teas are utilized for the betterment of the tea garden workers children and families. www.doketea.in

About Lochan Tea Limited View company

I’m a sucker for Darjeeling oolongs. Heck, I’m even a sucker for the one and only Assam oolong I’ve tried. Nilgiri oolongs…um…they mean well. This one out of Bihar is hard to pinpoint. So we’ll start with the obvious.

Do I like it? Oh, hell yes. Character-wise, it has the nuances of a Nilgiri OP (Tiger Hill-ish), but a lot of the fruity bend of a Formosa. There’s also a smoky aspect on the end, but it’s very minor. One thing of note, though, this tasting note was from trying it Western-style. It held up well in a “wrongfu” prep, but not quite as well. Go big and boiled with this one.

It also almost became the subject of a tea fiction story (along with one other Doke tea, a Taiwanese sencha, and two Nepalese whites), the “DVD commentary”-ish blog on that trainwreck can be found here: http://lazyliteratus.teatra.de/2012/10/03/blending-tea-and-fiction/

Steep Information:

Dry Leaf Smell: slight vegetal, slight roasty
Steeped Tea Smell: floral, roasty
Flavor: seaweed, salty
Body: Medium
Aftertaste: malty and slightly astringent
Liquor: translucent light orange brown

Resteep:
1000ml at 175°F for 2 minutes
Light at first, but as it sat it darkened, interesting
grassy, astringent, metallic, tingly

I re-sell this product.

Blog http://amazonv.blogspot.com/2014/02/lochan-tea-loose-leaf-oolong-tea-doke.html

175 °F / 79 °C 1 min, 30 sec 14 g 1000 OZ / 29573 ML
Jason

Looks like all your tasting notes are coming in as 1000 OZ / 29573 ML for the water amount. I’m assuming you didn’t put that in? Might be a bug…what was the value you meant to input?

Jason

Oh, looking at your tasting note i realize you listed it as 1000ml. Be sure to adjust the unit when you add your tasting note. Right now it default to oz, so all your amounts are being input as 1000 oz.

AmazonV

@Jason yup keep forgetting to click the thing for ML

This is very dark and black tea tasting to me. It has a little tiny bit of maltiness in the back of the throat.

About average. I’ll likely trade it away.

Thank u to Terri Harplady for this sample!! I have never had a tea like this one. I could taste malt in there but couldn’t place the other flavor until I started scrolling thru the flavor and scent choices. It is definitely Autumn leaf pile.
It has a sweet outdoor scent like after you rake leaves and there is lots of moisture in the air to bring out their scent.
I live in the desert now where there is not a lot of that going on so it was nice to remember my childhood when we would rake leaves and jump into them for fun.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Malt