Gyokuro Select (Grower's Series)

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Maeda-en

Our Grower’s Gyokuro is made with the finest tea leaves. Covered from the sun for weeks to preserve its richness, this tea is the perfect afternoon treat.
A rich, full bodied cup, with a smooth finish.

For an exquisite cup, we recommend brewing a tablespoon of leaves in a cup (8 oz or less) ofwarm water (140 to 160F). Steep for 2 to 3 minutes, and enjoy.

About Maeda-en View company

Maeda-En has been in business for the last 25 years as an importer, manufacturer and wholesaler of green tea & green tea desserts. Our Japanese grown, fresh quality green teas are shipped directly from our production factory in Japan to the states and then world-wide.

I picked up a tin of this when I put in my Steepster Select indie sampler order. This is only the second Gyokuro I’ve ever had, so I don’t have much within the category to compare it to. That said, the smell of both dry and wet leaves is intoxicating, right up there with freshly-harvested Dragonwell. I used the lowest setting on my UtiliTEA kettle to make it, but I see a lot of tinkering with temps and steep times to do.

I’ve had the best results with Gyokuro at around 55C, which is a much, much lower temperature than I use for any other tea. Would also suggest trying a shorter steeping time, around a minute and a half, and using two teaspoons of leaves per cup instead of one. Have fun experimenting!

Thanks! Will give that a try.

Steeped a heaping tablespoon in a cup fo water for 2 minutes. Rich, yet smooth, and simply elegant.