Formosa Jade Oolong

Oolong Tea
Oolong
Butter, Floral, Honey, Vegetal, Flowers, Orchids, Perfume, Corn Husk, Honeydew, Peach
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by cookies

From Mountain Tea

Very well known among tea drinkers, this semi-oxidized tea from the mountainous region of Nantou, Taiwan has a delightful flowery aroma, brisk flavor, smooth body, and fruity finish, all of which combine to make this a pantry stocker.

Other names: Cui Yu, 翠玉高山烏龍冬茶
Origin: Nantou, Taiwan
Water: 85°C

About Mountain Tea View company

This was on sale at Mountain Tea, so I decided to try it as a way of trying out both the company and a greener oolong. The first thing i tasted, while the tea was very hot, was light clover honey. Now as it cools, I’m getting some of that vegetal, green tea flavor that I don’t like so much , and also floral, I think. I can tell it’s a good one — there are no bad or off flavors. It tastes very fresh.

I did a rinse infusion for 15 seconds, then steeped 30 , then 45… Now on the third infusion (including the rinse), it’s more vegetal and buttery and less naturally sweet to me. This is really never going to be my favorite type of tea, but there’s nothing bad about it, really. It’s not bitter the way I find so much green tea, and it doesn’t seem to make me nauseous in the same way.

Next time, I’ll try it starting out with shorter infusions… Maybe I’ll add some sugar or actual honey. It’s good, but I will not buy it again unless my tastes change considerably over the course of this 5 ounce package. You’ll like this if this is your thing, but it’s not really mine.

Flavors: Butter, Floral, Honey, Vegetal

5 g 6 OZ / 177 ML

Trying this Western style for the first time. It’s just not the same!!!

yyz

I know western style doesn’t do it for me for most Oolong’s.

madametj

it wasn’t very good. I dumped it out :(

This was a Christmas present from my husband which was initially chosen for it’s name as my middle name is Jade. It finally has a beautiful flower caddy now so I can open and try this Oolong after two months of waiting.

I will be following these instructions for my tea:

Water : 3oz / 85ml – 194℉ / 90℃
Use 7 Grams Tea
8 steeps : rinse,25s,25s,30s,40s,60s,90s,120s,180s
Gaiwan
Rinsing time is around 5 seconds

The Oolong balls are a mixture of medium and dark greens which have an average size of roughly 4mm.
Closer sniff-spection reveals a sweet (like honey), mineral, grass/straw like scent.

A picture of the balls:

First steep – 25 seconds
Subtle, honeyed, flowers and perfumed. Makes me think of rain pouring onto the leaves of a honeysuckle flower.

Second Steep – 25 seconds
Not as sweet as the previous steep but it is just as gentle. Also getting a creaminess coming through.

Third Steep – 30 seconds
Increasing in flavour but still remaining soft in thickness. The peach is really coming through nicely, sweet yet crisp. Also still very creamy.

Fourth Steep – 40 seconds
Very floral, sweet and creamy. Like honey suckle and peach but mild versions of each. Some dryness and perfume in the after taste.

Fifth Steep – 60 seconds
Much stronger now, peach is still shining through as is the honey suckle. A very nice strength now.

Sixth Steep – 90 Seconds
Remains creamy and silken. Peach is toned down but sweet flowers still very much present.

Seventh Steep – 120 seconds
Still a lot of flavour and no harshness though some mineral vegetal flavours coming through like sweetcorn mixed with fresh spinach.

Eigth Steep – 180 seconds
Lighter now and the sweetcorn has taken over the peach. Still floral and sweet with high creamy notes.

Overall –
It’s a nice Oolong that is sweet and floral whilst being light yet creamy (for the most part). Nice elements of peach and sweetcorn are found throughout and a hint of perfume in the after taste.

I prefer stronger Oolongs that are more mineral and green but this was very nice, the balance was superb and I think it would be great iced. So while it may not be one of my usual favourites I’m still thankful I bought 2oz of this.

Flavors: Corn Husk, Flowers, Honeydew, Peach

195 °F / 90 °C 7 g
KittyLovesTea

This was posted under Jade Oolong which I thought was correct at the time, but it turns out that Mountain Tea Co has a Jade Oolong AND a Formosa Jade Oolong. Whoops, my bad. So please disregard my previous steeping note while I paste this review into the correct place.

Anna

This tea seems really lovely. And Jade is such a great name. I don’t think I could pull it off, but I always admire it from a distance.

KittyLovesTea

Well funnily enough my best friend is also called Jade :)