Wuyi Cassia (Rougui)

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by DC

From Peony Tea S.

Hanyu Pinyin: wuyi rougui
Production area: Wuyishan, Fujian (non-core producing area or BanYan)
Harvest time: Spring 2011

Also known as cinnamon bark, the Wuyi Cassia is one of the most fragrant teas. The aroma is a domineering, overpowering aura that is known as a ‘conqueror’s aura’ (霸气). Small wonder the locals revere the Wuyi Cassia for its fragrance.

Brew up some Wuyi Cassia and find out for yourself, you will find your co-workers turning their heads the moment you pour out your tea.

Slightly bitter on entry but sweet thereafter.

Clear light golden brown

Wuyi Cassia is the standout at the party- you can hardly miss him. He comes in with great fanfare and pomp, demanding you take a second look at him.

Yet when you get to know him, you realize he is more than that brash exterior you might have thought- there is a depth and subtlety to him that belies his image.

About Peony Tea S. View company

So I’m fairly certain that this was from kittena judging by the tasting notes. While this tea isn’t bad, it goes into my “oolong” bucket. That is to say, the type of tea I just don’t often care for. There’s nothing wrong with this tea but it carries that distinctive taste that says OOOoOoOoOoOooooOoolong! To me ;) which means that’s all that I can focus on. That being said this tea has a beautiful golden colour when steeped and there’s a taste behind the oolong that is quite nice. I’ll withhold rating it though as my dislike of oolongs would bring it down.
Appreciate the chance to taste it though :)

So for you it seems it is Ooowrong.
LOL I love Oolong but I can see how some would totally dislike it.

Yeppers, Indigobloom didn’t get in on Peony Tea S.‘s promo, so it was from me. I don’t recall if I liked it, but given that I do enjoy dark oolongs… probably!

You did like it heh

nope nope not from me. But it was tasty as far as I can recall!
Azz- baha! you made me giggle :P

Haha, I was clearly too distracted for Azzrian’s comment to even register with me! That’s funny!

Thank you to Peony Tea S. for this wonderful sample! I brought it along on vacation so I could try a few new things in addition to the old standbys.

I think I may have underbrewed this tea a bit (used 1.5tsp for ~8oz.), but I’m quite enjoying it. It tastes like a dark oolong, with a delicious woody sweetness, and no bitterness or astringency whatsoever. Very tasty to have alongside some overly sweet caramel corn I just made for my dad.

I’m eagerly anticipating the next few infusions of this one. My mom liked it.

Thanks to Kittenna for the sample! a dark roasty oolong, just the way I like it. I get a very slight bitter edge to it as well, but so barely noticeable that I almost missed it. There is natural sweetness there to, as is expected with a darker oolong. Coffee. Yes this def reminds me of coffee. I think it is partially the aroma. Mmmm. I love the depth in this!
Rating: 85

Thanks so much to Peony Tea S. for their generous samples, which arrived safely and very quickly!

This is very nice. I went with four infusions in a gaiwan, and it held up admirably well, mellowing a bit in the third and fourth rounds. It’s quite bold. It has a nice, roasty Oolong flavour with a touch of spicy-sweetness. A little smokey, too.

I have so many teas to backlog…

I got this one from my swap with CK

It’s a decent dark oolong, but nothing about it shouts “buy more!” To me, the flavor doesn’t quite live up to its fancy description.

1961 tasting notes

Sample from Kittenna! Thank you. :)

There are no steeping instructions here on Steepster, so I did just over 1 minute at 185F for this first steep. The leaves are not fully open yet, so I expect it’ll last 2-3 more steepings.

It’s supposed to smell really cinnamony, but it doesn’t. It smells toasted, which isn’t really my favourite for an oolong. Sipping, it’s actually really sweet. Wow. I wasn’t expecting that. Goes great with my cookie. :)

Sorry :( I stopped writing instructions on baggies when I stopped using them myself (a long time ago). The package did have instructions, though I can’t recall what right now.

Oh, it’s fine! I did a bunch of steeps and then saved the leaves for the next day, but I accidentally threw them out. :( I really liked how this tasted so sweet when it smelled a bit toasty.