Black Chai Blend
Cinnamon, Cloves, Ginger, Milk, Orange, Orange Zest, Sweet
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by Erik Dabel
Boiling 8 min or more 15 g 32 oz / 946 ml

• “mmmmm sipping on a cup of this today after being out in the downpour. We walked to the grocery store in the rain and after getting back. this is exactly the tea i wanted. It’s not cold...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 6482 tasting notes
  • “More new tea! Chai tea is my go-to coffee shop drink, since I’m not a huge fan of coffee, and only drink it once or twice a year. You know, like New Year’s Day, when I am battling the effects of...” Read full tasting note
    erik-dabel 165 tasting notes

From Red Blossom Tea Company

In India, “chai” is the word for tea, and the traditional style of service is to simmer tea with milk and a few spices into a sweet and spicy concoction.

Our Chai is a masala-style black tea, blended with spices for richness and complexity. We’ve upgraded and altered the mix for 2011, opting for a sweet Lychee Black tea as the base, with orange peel, ginger, cloves and cinnamon as spice accents.

A highly aromatic tea traditionally prepared with milk and a small amount of sugar.

About Red Blossom Tea Company View company

mmmmm sipping on a cup of this today after being out in the downpour. We walked to the grocery store in the rain and after getting back. this is exactly the tea i wanted. It’s not cold outside but it offered that spicey warmth to warm me up from the cool rain and coming in to dry off. I added a bit of milk and sweetner to this and it is delicious! i like the slightly citrus edge that is in this chai without being overpowering. For sure one of top chai teas.

More new tea!

Chai tea is my go-to coffee shop drink, since I’m not a huge fan of coffee, and only drink it once or twice a year. You know, like New Year’s Day, when I am battling the effects of the previous night but know there is plenty more to partake in.

But I digress…

Chai. My go-to. Starbuck’s Chai is… OK. I think it was better before they switched to Teavana, but whatever. Peet’s Chai, same thing. Pretty good. I’ve found many places that serve up Oregon Chai. OH MYYYY. That’s the shizzle.

Today I will make my own. This will be the first time I make it properly, not just like all the other tea I make.

So, the directions pulled from Red Blossom’s website: “A proper Chai needs time to infuse. We recommend brewing large multi-serving pots of this tea. For four servings, use 15 grams of tea leaves to 2 cups of water. Simmer on low heat for 8 minutes. Then add 2 cups of milk and simmer for an additional 2 minutes. Serve sweetened.”

Here we go:

First off, the large serving size is fine, I make all my hot tea with a 32 ounce Bodum Assam teapot. Done. I also used fat free milk, next time I won’t do that. I will use either 2% or Soy milk. I also did not add any sugar, I will next time, just to add a bit of sweetness. The first brew I always want to get to know the tea itself, no outside help.

Everything was fine until I added the milk. I’m never sure with things like this if I should start the timer when I add the milk, or when it returns to a boil. I did the latter.

The result is very good, no doubt. Not quite Oregon Chai, but I don’t have the equipment to serve up that beauty. But very good none-the-less.

Red Blossom uses a masala-style black tea, this particular one “a sweet Lychee Black Tea as the base”. They then add orange peel, ginger, cloves, and cinnamon. Unsweetened, it has a bit of a bitter, over spiced taste. That must be why they recommend sweetening it. Makes sense. Next time.

This chai tea is going to take some time for me to really get good at brewing it, but I have a feeling when I do figure it out, it is going to be amazing.

(And that score of 75 I just gave is will go up, no doubt.)

-E