Red Pearls (Hong Zhen Zhu)

Leather, Malt, Mineral, Smoke, Smooth, Sweet, Toast, Dark Bittersweet, Wood, Earth
Edit tea info Last updated by jjshapiro

From Silk Road Teas

Good value, traditional black tea rolled into small shiny pellets. Aromatic, not too strong with hints of smokiness. Cups to a bright red-brown liquor and finishes with a pleasing aftertaste. Steep in water about 195 degrees for 2-3 minutes.

About Silk Road Teas View company

This is a great, hearty, dense/intense, shot-in-the-arm red tea.

Finally got around to trying this tea that LP gave me with an actual kettle and stove on hand. What I got: smokey, leathery, thick, and sweet. It almost stuck to the roof of my mouth. This is my first Black Gunpowder tea and I prefer this one way more than green versions of it, but I slightly prefer oolong versions. I thoroughly enjoyed it anyway. A good breakfast or afternoon tea during the winter. I tasted very little astringency and brewed this over and over. Would recommend generally, not highly. Honestly best for black tea lovers, and for those who like more masculine profiles.

Flavors: Leather, Malt, Mineral, Smoke, Smooth, Sweet, Toast

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 2 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML

These pearls are very tiny and really dark. I brewed this western and it has a very nice copper color to it. The pearls really expand. The taste is very smokey and woody, which lingers in your mouth for a while, with a slight sweetness to it. Pretty decent black (red) tea.

Flavors: Dark Bittersweet, Smoke, Wood

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

VERY smoky! A very “russian” style tea….they love their blacks SMOKY! I enjoy this one on occasion as well!

It definitely is a good tea to enjoy on occasion!

Thanks to Blodeuyn and scribbles, I have a ton of new black tea samples to enjoy in the mornings! Thanks so much ladies, I really appreciate it! This one is from Blodeuyn. Clearly it’s a completely different animal from the only other black pearl tea I’ve had (from TeaVivre). The pellets are tiny and not really spherical. They’re jet black and somewhat shiny, which makes me think of little beetles and reminds me of the part in Harry Potter when he’s in Diagon Alley and the apothecaries sell scoops of beetle eyes… LOL. Sometimes associations are weird, no? Anyway! The dry scent of this tea is powerful! Strong malt and earth with a little sharp scent that almost reminds me of eucalyptus? Who knows? I steeped mine for 3 minutes at 200 degrees.

When I opened my brew basket, they just looked like normal black tea leaves. Amazing! The brewed aroma is still very strong and earthy with definite mineral/smoke notes. I can see this is going to be a kick-in-the-pants kind of tea! The aroma reminds me of shou with its strong earth/wood notes (and it’s very dark in color so that helps!). Wow, this is earth city! And the taste absolutely reminds me of shou as well. It’s very earthy, but with a bit of sweetness. There’s a very present mineral/smoke note along with a touch of wood. It’s a shou masquerading as a black tea! :o

OFF-TOPIC: I miss you, Stephanie! There’s no one here with me in chat in the mornings! D: Hope your vacation is going well though!

Flavors: Earth, Mineral, Smoke, Sweet, Wood

Beautiful copper colour. Lovely smokiness.

Love to watch this tea expand and almost bloom like a flower. Rich taste, giving multiple steeps.