Forest White

White Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Pamela Dean

• “Fresh from the World Tea Expo I attended a focused tasting of White & Oolong teas hosted by Jane Pettigrew. Hands down this is the best White Tea I have ever tasted. Selling at $300 a pound it is...” Read full tasting note
    CMT 40 tasting notes
  • “This stands apart from other white teas, and I think it's the teamaster, Eva Lee, and the terroir, being Hawaii-grown and handmade. The voluminous tricolor leaves are bold and aromatic with rich...” Read full tasting note
    aeondax 211 tasting notes
  • “Begging your pardon: This tea promises and delivers a rose garden. Strong rosy scent, light rosy flavor plus a hint of chardonnay. Full review at http://bit.ly/3B8CT1 Thanks, Eva!” Read full tasting note
    teasquared 39 tasting notes

From Tea Hawaii

Origin: Hawaii Island, Hawaii, USA, teahawaii.com

Forest-grown in the Tea Hawaii Tea Garden at 4000 ft elevation, near the active Kilauea Volcano’s summit. The tea plants flourish under a canopy of Ohia trees and Papuu ferns. The freshly-picked leaves are processed in Volcano Village. Because it was grown and processed in Hawaii, this white tea’s flavor profile is a singular experience. The leaves are long, loose and downy, and they brew into a rich, clear gold infusion. The flavor of the brew is deeply satisfying and delightfully floral through multiple steepings.

As a high-elevation tea and as a Hawaii-grown product, this oolong has an incredibly pure growing environment and a unique set of weather patterns as the basis for its terroir. The soil is fertile and acidic (precisely what tea plants need) and the water, air and soil are amongst the cleanest on Earth.

Eva Lee, teamaster of Tea Hawaii, belongs to a collective of local tea growers that has joined together to promote their products. Eva also processes an Hawaii-grown Makai Black tea with leaves from Hakalau Tea Garden and a Mauka Oolong from Volcano Tea Garden. She sees her role as helping growers bring their teas to fruition and customizing teas to suit the needs of tea vendors and drinkers. Now is the ideal time to taste Hawaii-grown tea and provide feedback to suppliers and growers in order to shape the future of Hawaii-grown tea.

About Tea Hawaii View company

Fresh from the World Tea Expo I attended a focused tasting of White & Oolong teas hosted by Jane Pettigrew. Hands down this is the best White Tea I have ever tasted. Selling at $300 a pound it is without a doubt a luxury tea. The Mauka Oolong was way up up there as well. Worth checking out this great farm!

RachanaC (Rachel)-iHeartTeas

Sounds amazing…jealous

This stands apart from other white teas, and I think it’s the teamaster, Eva Lee, and the terroir, being Hawaii-grown and handmade. The voluminous tricolor leaves are bold and aromatic with rich floral notes — and so full of life! The third steep, at five minutes, is still a clear bright gold and very flavorful. A layer of greenness, like a fresh meadow, is there to support the florality. The umami I found in the black and oolong teas from Tea Hawaii is present in this white version, as well. What I describe as that satisfying, savory quality must be rooted in the freshness of the leaf. Those are the things which stood out, to me, as very notable and special about Tea Hawaii’s Forest White.

And @teasquared, yes, after the liquid cooled a bit, I did get definite roses, and perhaps the chardonnay, too. If I drank more wine, I’d know better. :)

And about that immaculate freshness ….. I am sure I have never had camellia sinensis tea this fresh. Which means that it hasn’t had time to absorb the ambient aromas from months of travel, packed in various containers which are opened and closed all over the world. Some of what we taste in tea from China, for instance, is travel-acquired. We may have come to think of it as the taste of tea. Now, having tried three extremely fresh teas from Hawaii, I think perhaps not.

As to how my sister got these Hawaii-grown teas, which are not available anywhere online at this time, to send me for my birthday (thank you, Chrissy!): she reports that she went to teahawaii.com and emailed them, then mailed a check. I don’t know what she paid, but if you want to find out how fresh tea tastes (or perhaps how tea really tastes) it may be worth it.