Qi Lan

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Sample number four out of ten this week! Hey I'm doing quite well! This is one I can't remember where came from. I'm a little concerned about what sort of impression it's going to leave me with...” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1196 tasting notes
  • “A definite sweet fruity taste. Probably honeysuckle, but I don't know what honeysuckle tastes like. But, no chocolate taste. Maybe it is too subtle for me, but I have yet to have taste chocolate in...” Read full tasting note
    Kryptryx 89 tasting notes
  • “This is a pretty bold tasting tea. I enjoy it's strength and I will try to post a longer review when I have more time to analyze this one. To me, it seems complex and I really like it.” Read full tasting note
    fcmonroe 251 tasting notes
  • “If you desire a fine Wuyi oolong look no further than this deep and subtle nectar. The initial cinnamon mocha boldness is merely a ruse to entice the drinker into a humble and understated world of...” Read full tasting note
    robc22 144 tasting notes

From Teas Etc

Layers of complex character unfold as this superb oolong infuses with hot water. A Chinese large leaf oolong from the beautiful mountains of Wuyi, Fujian Province. This spectacular tea reveals sweet honeysuckle character followed by warm chocolate notes.

Qi Lan Tea Type: Oolong Tea

Ingredients: Chinese oolong (qi lan)

Origin of Qi Lan : China

About Teas Etc View company

Direct trade quality loose leaf tea for more than a decade. World Tea Championship winners in 2008 & 2009. USDA Certified Organic. Based in US with buying office in China.

Sample number four out of ten this week! Hey I’m doing quite well!

This is one I can’t remember where came from. I’m a little concerned about what sort of impression it’s going to leave me with because it came in a ziplock pouch which had originally contained a TGY sample from Norbu. How does one clean those bags for re-use? How does one avoid TGY traces in the new sample? Oh well, at least it wasn’t a super-strongly aromatic one that was in there before, so I don’t imagine it to be much of a problem, really. But the idea of it puzzled me.

This one looks like a dark oolong and the leaves smelled like a dark oolong, with some cocoa-y notes to it, but after steeping, it suddenly smells greener. Kind of butter-y and vegetal. It still has the cocoa notes and the dark oolong oak-y notes too, though, so you can probably imagine that it’s a bit odd. (Again, I think of that TGY…)

The flavour is also a funny mix of two types, and it’s not just that it tastes like one of those oolongs that seem to be exactly half-fermented. It more like a blend of two. (TGY ghost? None of the others have described this, but on the other hand none of the other posts are very detailed.)

What I’ve actually got here is a very complex flavour profile, and it seems to change like a chameleon several times in just one sip. At the very front of the flavour I’m hit by something floral. Then immidiately after that follows something vaguely like cinnamon and after that we get something fruity, almost peach-y, but not as juicy. Finally the aftertaste is very green tea-ish and slightly minty. Of the cocoa notes in the aroma, I can find nothing.

I’m not going to award points for this because I don’t feel certain that the sample isn’t contaminated by what was previously in the pouch. While what I’ve got here is very enjoyable indeed, there something about it that strikes me as sort of… off. I don’t know if it’s supposed to be that way. If there is no contamination, however, it’s a very lovely tea indeed.

A definite sweet fruity taste. Probably honeysuckle, but I don’t know what honeysuckle tastes like. But, no chocolate taste. Maybe it is too subtle for me, but I have yet to have taste chocolate in any the teas which are supposed to have the flavor. That said, still a very nice, sweet, dark oolong.

Jaime

You’ve never had honeysuckle?

Kryptryx

No. I understand it is a plant that grows on the side of the roads and that people like to drink the nectar from the flowers.

Jaime

My parents have one in their backyard, and we had huge ones along the fence of my elementary school. When I was little, my whole class would line up during recess and pull the nectar out of the flowers to eat.

This is a pretty bold tasting tea. I enjoy it’s strength and I will try to post a longer review when I have more time to analyze this one.

To me, it seems complex and I really like it.

If you desire a fine Wuyi oolong look no further than this deep and subtle nectar. The initial cinnamon mocha boldness is merely a ruse to entice the drinker into a humble and understated world of roses and stone fruits.