Big Red Robe

Oolong Tea
Dried Fruit, Floral, Roast nuts
Edit tea info Last updated by pkmnnerdfighter

2 Images

From TeaSource

This legendary tea is very rich and smooth with dark, almost molasses-like undertones. Legend has it that when a monk first gave the emperor this tea, the emperor loved it so much that he gave the monk a special gift of a scarlet robe.

About TeaSource View company

I’m new to loose-leaf teas, having gotten hooked after a friend gifted me with a variety of teas. She wasn’t a fan of Oolong however, so I was on my own when I decided to order a couple. I choose Iron Goddess of Mercy and Big Red Robe because they’re popular varieties of Oolong, both names among the “Ten Famous Teas of China.” I liked Iron Goddess of Mercy, which tasted a bit astringent and metallic to me, but I loved Big Red Robe. My aunt loved this one very much right off from the first taste—and even asked for another cup which she rarely does. Described as “smooth” with “undertones of molasses” on the site and I think that’s an apt description.

The dry leaf is lovely: a large strip style oolong with a roasted nut aroma. I put 5-6g in my 150ml gaiwan and rinsed it well (the rinse came out bubbly/cloudy). Brewed for 1 minute at 190 degrees, it produces a honey-colored brew without a very strong aroma or mouthfeel, but it’s pleasant to drink. The 2nd through 4th infusions had the best flavor, after the initial strong roast flavor wore off a bit.

Flavors: Dried Fruit, Floral, Roast nuts