Scottish Blend

Edit tea info Last updated by donronette

From Unilever UK

“Scottish Blend tea is a natural source of antioxidants which might help reinforce the body’s natural defences against free radicals.”

“Enjoy Scottish Blend tea as part of a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle.”

“Scottish Blend is no ordinary tea. It was the first to be blended for our soft Scottish water, to give a perfect brew.”

About Unilever UK View company

1.25 tsp for 250mL water @100C. Drunk bare.

I have no idea if my city’s water is hard or soft. I can tell you it comes directly from a lake, with minimal treatment. The City might up the chlorine in summer, but otherwise my tap water tastes very clean: a bit reedy, with some faint mineral notes. So far, it’s never let me down when making tea, so I don’t bother with expensive and, frankly, bothersome 18.l L jugs pf springwater.

So I can’t say if Scottish Blend is any good for hard or soft water.

I can say it’s a very acceptable black tea blend, lighter than I expected, and one I would serve to my late Geordie grandmother without fear. I got a 250g package of it from a friend in Edinburgh, along with some Scottish sweets. Am I spoilt, or what? Scottish Blend smells malty and a bready, but the liquor is a medium reddish brown and quite clear. It’s more confident than assertive, and not bitter, even with a long steep. The body is light, which surprised me. There is a malty pucker at the end of a sip, but I’m thinking this is more Kenyan tea than Assam. The leaves are tiny, little CTC pinheads,and they don’t expand much. This tea would totally stand up to milk. I like it much more than I thought I would. Scottish Blend 1, Tea Snob 0.

Michelle Butler Hallett

(sigh) Sorry for the typos. “pringwater” = “springwater”

Who knew? I was thinking that it was water from Lake Pring.
Now I want Scots Tea!

Just delivered from Edinburgh – thanks Nat ;) I like it’s mild taste. That makes it a regular afternoon tea to boost my working force. Quite enjoy it…

I was introduced to the nectar of the gods as a wee lass in Scotland, and this tea gets the blend right. I’ve no idea where in Scotland they found soft water, but this makes a lovely brew even in our hard water. I just wish I could find some to buy.

205 °F / 96 °C

Nice stout morning cuppa. A step down, perhaps from PG Tips in brew strength. I usually steep this tea 4 minutes in boiling water and then add milk and white sugar.