Tian Di Ren Yiwu 2008 Shu Pu-er

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Terri HarpLady
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 178 oz / 5250 ml

• “I'm a sucker for Verdant teas, without a doubt. I'll buy almost everything they offer, & experience has shown me that I am rarely disappointed. I am very happy that I bought a cake of this. I'm...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2895 tasting notes
  • “This is now the second "brick" (this one is actually a very shallow tuocha) of shou I've bought from Verdant. I previously had a brick of the Lao Tong Zhi Old Comrades 2011. I have to say, at this...” Read full tasting note
    jimmarks 323 tasting notes

From Verdant Tea

This well-balanced shu pu’er takes the bold camphor notes of Yiwu Mountain, and tempers them with the dark, smooth fruity qualities that Tian Di Ren works to bring out through their blending, pressing and aging techniques. The aroma of the wet leaf is heavy and satisfying with herbaceous sage and oregano undertones and notes of oak sherry cask.

The first steepings are very true to Yiwu Moutain: dark frankincense notes, and the aftertaste of camphor and sandalwood with a tingling and cooling sensation on the tongue. Later steepings reveal the style of Tian Di Ren with elderberry and tawny port in the forward flavor, and lingering cacao in the aftertaste. This builds towards an intriguing citrus flavor like candied blood orange bolstered by a satisfying thick vanilla body, while maintaining its clean, light mouthfeel.

Late steepings bring out sweet sesame candy, goji berries, and ripe blueberry. The sherry aroma expresses itself with a sherry-like flavor that lingers on the palate. The textures and aftertaste of this shu pu’er make it a promising tea to age in cakes. In our experience, the camphor and sandalwood aspects of Yiwu shu pu’er continue to grow over time, and the sweet vanilla and berry notes grow thicker and more all-encompassing.

About Verdant Tea View company

I’m a sucker for Verdant teas, without a doubt. I’ll buy almost everything they offer, & experience has shown me that I am rarely disappointed.

I am very happy that I bought a cake of this. I’m really just getting started with it, maybe 5 steeps in, but really enjoying it’s complexity, starting with a blend of wood & incense in the early steepings, with a nice camphor mouth.

These middle steepings have an emerging fruitiness…
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sadly, I got sidetrack & that is the extent of my notes, although I did continue to sip for a long time. I will probably up the amount to 7G I think next time, as I tend to like my Shu a little strong. All in all, I enjoyed it!

This is now the second “brick” (this one is actually a very shallow tuocha) of shou I’ve bought from Verdant. I previously had a brick of the Lao Tong Zhi Old Comrades 2011. I have to say, at this point, I don’t anticipate all too frequently either (a) drinking sheng pu’erh or (b) buying shou in anything smaller than a complete bricktuocha.

Breaking up the tea myself gives me a lot more control over ongoing aging as well as breakage and it also means that early steeps are a lot more subtle because I’m hydrating a “slice” of leaves rather than completely loose leaves.

This 2008 already has some deeply musty notes while still retaining some of the sweetness of a young shou. There’s a definitely dominant presence of “flood damage” here. The whole room I’m sitting in has become overwhelmed with the scent.

While the chi impact compared to a sheng is far more subtle, it is still definitely active and I find the flavors so much more pleasing than sheng, I can’t imagine choosing the latter just for a stronger chi movement.

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 12 tsp 350 OZ / 10350 ML
Terri HarpLady

I was glad to grab a cake of this one while it was still available. I like both sheng & shu, really depending on my mood. Sheng definitely has a clarifying effect on me, which I sometimes can really benefit from, but I do also love the rich flavors of shu.