Nepal Guranse Summer 'Hand-Rolled Floral' Black Tea

Black Tea Leaves
Citrus Zest, Fruit Tree Flowers, Grapes, Floral, Honey, Malt, Muscatel, Baked Bread, Smooth, Fruity, Orange Blossom, Wet Wood
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy

From What-Cha

A fantastic hand rolled Nepalese tea, it has a floral aroma and a smooth taste of apricot and orange blossoms combined with gentle muscatel malt notes.

A summer tea which is evocative of the very best second flush teas found in Darjeeling.

Tasting Notes:
- Floral aroma
- Apricot and orange blossom taste
- Gentle muscatel and malt notes

Harvest: Second Flush, Summer 2019
Invoice: G66/2019
Invoice Size: 11kg

Origin: Guranse Tea Estate, Hile, Dhankuta district, Nepal
Organic: Certified organic by NASAA
Altitude: 1,000-2,200m
Sourced: Direct from Guranse T.E.

Brewing Advice:
- Heat water to roughly 90°C/194°F
- Use 2 teaspoons per cup/small teapot
- Brew for 3-4 minutes

About What-Cha View company

Interesting colour of the leaves from Alistair, behalf of White Antlers. They are brown, black, bit yellow of them; quite long and wire-like, some are more compressed, some are opened a bit. Looks indeed hand-made :) Two of them weren’t same.

I went rather carefully with tea (and I haven’t read Daylon R Thomas’s tasting note before) and haven’t used water directly off the hob as well. I have added tea bag to hot cuppa.

It wasn’t steeping rapidly. Well, I have used 3 grams only, so I have steeped it for 5 minutes.

Aroma I have expected malt, but it rather produced floral notes. Hints of sweet ones as fruit tree flowers. Daylon’s note says orange blossoms, but I never sniffed them, so I have no idea how they smell like. He says red grapes, while I would rather say white ones.

Anyway, the taste, even after that long steep, is light. Light, fruity & juicy, fresh notes of citrus fruits (but not strongly, rather hints of their peels) and in the end some very light malty and muscatel aftertaste.

Need to dig more to rate it properly.

Flavors: Citrus Zest, Fruit Tree Flowers, Grapes

200 °F / 93 °C 5 min, 0 sec 3 g 10 OZ / 300 ML

Backlog:

Do not over leaf this, because if you do, you might lose out on the more subtle flavors. That was the mistake I made this and a few others of the teas I got from the order, but I learned. I paid closer attention, and this was the basic form of what I like about Nepal floral blacks. The orange blossom was the most prominent floral, but it was also juicy like red grapes, but the malt comes in the longer you steep it.

The malt gives the tea some nice body, but it can overpower the subtler qualities of the tea. That is the only thing I was not a fan of, but when I brewed it more carefully, I got more muscatel notes that I was really into. I recommend this tea for people looking for a good second flush type of tea. I don’t think it’s as good as some of What-Cha’s other Nepal teas (I’VE DRANK MOST OF THEM FROM 2017-2020), but it is a frickin’ bang for the buck.

Flavors: Floral, Fruity, Grapes, Malt, Muscatel, Orange Blossom, Wet Wood