2004 Xiaguan Jia Ji Tuo Raw Pu Erh

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by BigDaddy

1 Tasting Note View all

• “Finally a pu-erh I can understand. Prepared gongfu, in my Yixing serving my in-laws, teaching them about Chinese tea ceremony and the the different types of teas. Not the most captive audience,...” Read full tasting note
    BigDaddy 61 tasting notes

From Xiaguan Tea Factory

Classic Xiaguan recipe, perfect for long-term storage!

The Jia Ji (aka First Grade) tuo is a classic Xiaguan recipe that has been produced for decades. High grade material is processed in the traditional method and then tightly compressed and stored in these individual round boxes. The boxes protect the tea from fluctuations in temperature and humidity giving the tea a stable environment perfect for aging!

These 2004 tuos have been stored in Guangdong since their creation and are still powerful in taste and feeling, but at the same time mellow and sweet with later infusions! Very nice clean Guangdong storage has imparted a sweet floral character to these lovey tuo cha!

Date: 2004.07
Net Weight: 100 grams of tea
Ingredients: Yunnan Large Leaf varietal sun-dried tea
Produced by Xiaguan Tea Factory

About Xiaguan Tea Factory View company

1 Tasting Note

Finally a pu-erh I can understand. Prepared gongfu, in my Yixing serving my in-laws, teaching them about Chinese tea ceremony and the the different types of teas. Not the most captive audience, they need to get to Brooklyn with the NYC Marathon going on, so I understand. The standard brewing guidelines 2 quick rinses and short steeps.

The aroma is very floral, hints of jasmine, per mother-in-law, and the malty sweetness you come to enjoy when sniffing wet pu-erhs. The flavor is so well structured and smooth I had that aha moment of realization that I was having for the first time a well made and aged raw pu-erh. Yum, the flavor was smoky, malty with stone fruit undertones. The mouth-feel, enveloping and inviting, I couldn’t wait for the next sip. Steeps went out for about 10, could have been more, but I used a larger Yixing to accommodate the 4 of us.

The conundrum this tea has caused, is now I am going to have to buy more high quality raw pu-erhs to get to any even higher level. Whoa is me. As for the in-laws I think they enjoyed it, they were no longer thinking of their travel details and were focused on the soft gentleness the tea had to offer.