drank Capri by Harney & Sons

Miss Marzipan was sweet enough to send me a sample of this once after she ordered a tin during their free shipping sale. Thanks Marz! :) Visually, it’s generic black tea leaves with itty bitty chunks of something, which I assume is fig? A couple of them look like they could be citrus peel, so maybe it’s both. Dry scent is delicious strong and sweet fig with vanilla – I don’t really smell lemon here. I did a 4 minute steep at 200 degrees.

Mm, the brewed aroma is also strong figs (which to me, includes a honey scent) with sweet and woody vanilla and a touch of lemon. To be totally, I’m a little bit disappointed by the level of flavor here, I could have used a little bit more. I can taste all three flavors, which is nice, but I was hoping for more fig. I added a teaspoon of honey to mine, because I feel like honey and fig is a natural combination, and it did help to bring out the flavor a little more. I actually really like the lemon here, it adds a nice top note and really freshens the whole thing up. Something in the base tea tastes a little odd to me, almost mineral? Maybe I should have stopped at a 3 minute steep. Luckily, Marz sent me enough of this to try it a few times! :)

Flavors: Fig, Lemon, Oak wood, Vanilla

TeaBrat

I would definitely like to try this someday!

Veronica

Sounds nice!

Lariel of Lórien

It reminds me of scones. Even though fig is an odd flavour.

Marzipan

I thought it was a little light on flavor too.

mj

Because of this tasting note, I bought figs at the store today. I couldn’t stop thinking about them!

TeaBrat

I had some figs for breakfast today…. :))

Marzipan

I have never had an actual fig. Just Fig Newtons!

Try the mission figs.

I got Turkish brown figs and caramelized them in honey. Noms

Cameron B.

I’ve never had a fresh fig, but the dried ones are delicious. :)

Ost

This tea has always perked my interest…but we have a fig tree in our front yard…and as often as I’ve tried it over the years, I cannot get myself to be a fig fan. Think it’s mainly the texture that puts me off…Wasn’t a bad taste though, someday I’ll have to get this tea. xD

boychik

I love fresh figs but they are expensive. Brown are the best. Don’t really like green ones. Dried ones are good substitute in winter. If I had a nice backyard I would plant my own.

Comments

TeaBrat

I would definitely like to try this someday!

Veronica

Sounds nice!

Lariel of Lórien

It reminds me of scones. Even though fig is an odd flavour.

Marzipan

I thought it was a little light on flavor too.

TeaBrat

I had some figs for breakfast today…. :))

Marzipan

I have never had an actual fig. Just Fig Newtons!

Try the mission figs.

I got Turkish brown figs and caramelized them in honey. Noms

Cameron B.

I’ve never had a fresh fig, but the dried ones are delicious. :)

Ost

boychik

Hi, I’m Cameron! I’m 29 years old and currently living in Austin, Texas with my boyfriend of 5 years. We’re both software engineers, currently working in the field of Machine Learning. I am a staunch lover of pugs and other squishy-faced dogs, although sadly I do not currently have one.

I prefer my tea lukewarm or at room temperature and without milk or sugar. I will often sweeten iced tea. I brew Western style, and fluctuate between using mugs or teapots with small cups depending on the season. I have recently started to brew gongfu cha style!

Tea Preferences:
I enjoy both flavored and unflavored teas in many forms, including black, green, oolong, and white teas, as well as maté, rooibos, honeybush, and herbal tisanes. I am open to more exploration of puerh, but it’s not generally one of my favorites. I am not often a fan of fruit-based tisanes.

My very favorite straight teas tend to be from China, Japan, or Taiwan. I also enjoy matcha!

Fruit: All of them! My ‘go-to’s tend to be in the red fruits, stonefruit, or citrus spectra. I also really love apple, banana, berry, lychee, melon, pear, and rhubarb flavors. Tropical fruits aren’t among my favorites, but I still enjoy them once in a while – especially mango and pineapple.

Dessert: Again, all the things! I love creamy vanilla and marshmallow flavors, along with anything in the caramel family such as butterscotch, toffee, or maple. Chocolate is also a favorite, though I’m often disappointed by it in tea. And don’t forget anything buttery, cakey, or cookie-y!

Floral: I’m a little bit more particular in this category. I do very much enjoy jasmine, even strong jasmine, along with sakura and chamomile. But I’m not crazy about rose and lavender flavors, and I prefer hibiscus in moderation only.

Spices: I don’t generally find myself drawn to masala chai, but I do enjoy spices combined with other flavors. My favorite spices are the warm ones, especially cinnamon, nutmeg, anise, and cardamom. A bit of heat from black pepper or chili is okay too, as long as it’s not overwhelming! Ginger can be a lovely accent, but I find it difficult to drink as a main flavor.

Aromatics: I’m obsessed with Earl Grey! I also love cooling flavors such as mint (especially spearmint), pine, juniper, and eucalyptus. I am not a fan of strong rosemary or sage in tea. Smoke can be tasty when it’s not heavy-handed.

Favorite Purveyors:

80-89: Great – a possible staple
70-79: Good, but I wouldn’t buy it
60-69: It’s decent
50-59: Meh… I may or may not have finished the cup
40-49: Ick. Couldn’t finish it.
00-39: Repulsive, I spat it out

My profile photo is by inkpug!

Austin, Texas