drank Anji Bai Cha by Butiki Teas

For a while there I forgot green teas existed; then Stacy included this as a sample in the big group order I participated in a while back. This tea turned out to be a nice reminder that greens aren’t always boring and can be tasty! I really did think I would easily write this one off after trying a cup.

This tea is surprisingly sweet, both in aroma and taste. Initially, I thought the fruity sweetness was due to (a very good kind of) cross contamination, but the online description says that’s one of the distinguishing characteristics. It’s hard for me to get over that this isn’t one of those green, floral cherry blends that are everywhere. How is it doing that? The tart cherry flavour is surprisingly vivid and fresh.

Besides the sweet finish, this has all the grassy, vegetal, and mineral water notes that one could hope for in a nice green. There is are also some nice buttery notes, that give the tea a pleasantly creamy quality, but it isn’t as dominant a note as some of the buttery Dragonwell or oolong teas I’ve tried.