Darjeeling Doppelgänger! Harney’s description of this tea is quite correct – “For those unfamiliar with teas from the Nilgiri region, this falls in between First and Second Flush
Darjeelings.”

This tea, although a Nilgiri, has the best of all possible Darjeeling worlds. There is a lovely sweet orange blossom floral aroma and taste evocative of a fine first flush Darjeeling. There is a strong, and I do mean strong, muscatel grape flavor of a great second flush Darjeeling. There are notes of fruit, nuts (almond) and grain similar to an autumn flush Darjeeling. The tea is quite brisk without a trace of bitterness. Rich with good body.

This is a splendid Indian tea. If you like Darjeeling like I do, then you will love this Nilgiri. And that’s a promise!

Flavors: Almond, Flowers, Fruity, Grain, Grapes, Muscatel, Orange Blossom, Sweet

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

“ Anyone who has used that comforting phrase ‘a nice cup of tea’ invariably means Indian tea.’ – George Orwell

Darjeeling is the tea that inspired me to begin my beautiful journey through the wide world of tea and will always reign supreme in my tea pantry! My first tea love, so to speak. I positively adore a truly great Darjeeling such as a good muscatel second flush. Autumn flush Darjeeling, I believe, has been under appreciated. Darjeeling autumn flush Gopaldhara Red Thunder Gold that I purchased through What-Cha is the best tea I have ever had the pleasure of drinking!

Along with Darjeeling tea, a great second flush, single estate, rich and malty Assam tea, tippy, with honey sweetness and subtle notes of cocoa sends me over the moon – Halmari Broken Assam tea is a marvelous example! I really love premium Assam tea!

From time to time I find myself in the mood for a full on smoky Keemun with cocoa and plummy notes or a spicy and peppery Yunnan. I do find Chinese teas quite pleasant. When I get in the mood for fine Keemun nothing else will do. My favorite Chinese tea so far is the Non-Smoky Lapsang Souchong Wild Black Tea from Teavivre. It has a natural caramel sweetness that is sensational!

I must also admit to an appreciation of fine Ceylon teas – Especially top-drawer low grown Ceylons such as New Vithanakande – Fantastic! Ceylon teas make superb iced tea, I think.

As far as scented teas go, I am particularly partial to floral teas such as jasmine, rose, orange blossom and violet. I absolutely love Earl Grey tea! Especially a good smoky Earl Grey tea. Earl Grey is often my go to tea on weekends. Black currant, blueberry, orange, chocolate, caramel, vanilla, maple, almond, honey and spice are favorites as well. Pleine Lune by Mariage Frères, an exquisite blend of Chinese black tea with almond, honey and mild, sweet spices is, without a doubt, my favorite flavored tea.

I tend to like rich and robust breakfast blends. I really enjoy a nice traditional English Breakfast or a 100% Assam Breakfast tea. Hits the spot every time. Though I generally stay away from most bagged teas, I do think that Yorkshire Tea from Taylors of Harrogate – Yorkshire Gold, to be specific, is a mighty delicious British brew when I just want a quick, no frills, no fuss, good old mug of English comfort. I always have a box of it on hand next to my kettle.

I’m quite fond of various herbal teas such as rooibos, camomile and anise. Lavender tea is another favorite of mine, as is Linden tea. I detest hibiscus and mint!

Black tea and herbal tisanes are my main go to teas. I do enjoy green tea and white tea from time to time, as well as a nice oolong. But not very often. Same goes for pu‑erh tea.

My favorite purveyors of tea:
1) What-Cha
7) Upton Tea
8) Bellocq Tea Atelier
9) Happy Earth Tea
10) Teavivre

Organic tea is my preference whenever possible.

Richmond, Virginia, USA