drank Lemon Lift by Bigelow

Sipdown! I’m tired, so I think I just want bagged tea with supper. Actually making the meal itself was exhausting enough, I don’t know if I have the patience to make anything really finicky.

I was craving lemon, and the only other lemon tea I have lying around that’s bagged is the Lipton Lemon that I keep around for guests – and that stuff is just disgusting. So, I settled on this.

The dry leaf smells more like spice than lemon. Although, steeped it smells actually quite lemony. First few sips aren’t half bad – the lemon doesn’t initially taste artificial or “neo citron” like, and the spices are pretty well balanced. Something in the back of my head is telling me I didn’t like this one though, and that I had some left not because I was “reserving it for later” but because it took so long to drink the box and I’m putting off finishing it.

Oh. That’s why. I’m like a third done the cup and only now am I really being hit with the aftertaste. It’s this really overwhelming spicy flavour with bad artificial lemon taste, and it’s sort of making my tongue feel a little bit scratchy (if that makes sense). Bleck. It’s sad, because the initial taste isn’t really so bad – but the aftertaste (which is really quite delayed) ruins any potential this tea had.

Sorry Bigelow, I don’t think I’ll be restocking.

Hello;

My name is Kelly. I’m a mid twenties tea drinker and reviewer originally from the prairies, but recently relocated to Quebec. I started drinking loose leaf fairly casually about five years ago, and at some point between then and now that ‘fun little hobby’ turned into a serious obsession and career path.

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

Typically I drink flavoured blends more than straight but one of my mini goals is to get that ratio to a more 50/50 level. I do a daily cold brew, and have at least (but usually a lot more) two hot cups of tea every day. I love black and white tea, but traditional/straight and also flavoured or blended. I also drink a lot of oolong and shou teas. For my oolong, I prefer greener oolong in flavoured blends and darker or more oxidized oolongs more pure and with traditional preparation. For shou, I gravitate towards straight, unflavoured shou teas (the exception being Chenpi) but I drink it about 50/50 Western Style and Gong Fu. I WILL drink all tea types though.

Least favourite flavour notes/ingredients:
Lemongrass, ginger, strong Chai spice profiles,mushrooms, seaweed, chamomile, artificial tasting mango or peach, stevia, saltiness, or anything that reminds me too much of meat that isn’t supposed to taste like meat…

Currently exploring/looking to try: Sheng from Yiwu, straight teas with strong sweet potato notes, Dancong Oolongs, and compressed black teas. Also, I need to try ALL the root beer teas! Searching for a really good caramel flavoured blend, ideally with a black tea base.

Tea Pet Reference Guide: