So, last week I decided I wanted to do something nice and elaborate for my mom as a way of basically saying “thanks for housing me” so I put together a big, elaborate supper with some carefully selected flavour pairings, a tea infused dish, and a nice Gong Fu session.

Some pictures of the whole shebang:

So how does the Blueberry Jam tea factor into things? Well, I actually infused it into a brown sugar syrup which we used to top some fresh cut fruits! Here’s a picture of that:

It was pretty easy to do; I basically infused around 8g of tea into two tablespoons of water for like five minutes – so, you know, very concentrated/potent stuff. Then I stirred in two more tablespoons of brown sugar and a dash of vanilla extract. From there I put it over heat and continued to reduce until it was a thick, viscous syrupy texture.

After that it was just a matter of picking the fruit! I went with dragonfruit and banana; I knew this would be delicious with the banana but the dragonfruit was a gamble. It’s got such a weird, distinct flavour that I wasn’t sure what would work with it. It tasted good though; if anything the syrup just brought out the natural sweetness of the fruit though. Nothing mind blowing; just tasty. Texturally, it was interesting having the fleshy, seedy texture of dragonfruit contrasted against the banana. It was a pleasant mouth experience!

Beyond that, the syrup itself was just very pleasant; really intense blueberry notes and then a beautiful, rich sweetness from the brown sugar that was more intense and indulgent than a syrup with confectionery sugar would have been. Kind of molasses-y, and really robust. It sort of brought out the malt in the black tea base.

I feel like it’s also worth note to mention I picked this tea to infuse into the syrup specifically because I knew that the inclusion of blueberry with the fruit dish/dessert would be a wonderful tie in to the blueberry compote topping on my baked brie. Which it was; the whole dish felt really nicely connected!