So, last week I decided I wanted to do something nice and elaborate for my mom as a way of basically saying “thanks for housing me” so I put together a big, elaborate supper with some carefully selected flavour pairings, a tea infused dish, and a nice Gong Fu session.

Some pictures of the whole shebang:

So how does the Blueberry Jam tea factor into things? Well, I actually infused it into a brown sugar syrup which we used to top some fresh cut fruits! Here’s a picture of that:

It was pretty easy to do; I basically infused around 8g of tea into two tablespoons of water for like five minutes – so, you know, very concentrated/potent stuff. Then I stirred in two more tablespoons of brown sugar and a dash of vanilla extract. From there I put it over heat and continued to reduce until it was a thick, viscous syrupy texture.

After that it was just a matter of picking the fruit! I went with dragonfruit and banana; I knew this would be delicious with the banana but the dragonfruit was a gamble. It’s got such a weird, distinct flavour that I wasn’t sure what would work with it. It tasted good though; if anything the syrup just brought out the natural sweetness of the fruit though. Nothing mind blowing; just tasty. Texturally, it was interesting having the fleshy, seedy texture of dragonfruit contrasted against the banana. It was a pleasant mouth experience!

Beyond that, the syrup itself was just very pleasant; really intense blueberry notes and then a beautiful, rich sweetness from the brown sugar that was more intense and indulgent than a syrup with confectionery sugar would have been. Kind of molasses-y, and really robust. It sort of brought out the malt in the black tea base.

I feel like it’s also worth note to mention I picked this tea to infuse into the syrup specifically because I knew that the inclusion of blueberry with the fruit dish/dessert would be a wonderful tie in to the blueberry compote topping on my baked brie. Which it was; the whole dish felt really nicely connected!

Hello! My name is Kelly, though many people in the tea community call me Ros or Roswell.

I am a twenty five year old proudly queer tea addict, blogger, and all around tea geek. I grew up in the Prairies, but a few years ago I relocated to Quebec to pursue a career with DAVIDsTEA in the tea industry! I’m still working on getting my French language skills down…

My first introduction to tea, in any form outside of instant and bottled iced tea, was about seven years ago when I happened to stumble upon DAVIDsTEA while looking for a birthday present for a friend! I tried their Birthday Cake rooibos blend, and I’ve been hooked on tea ever since! In those seven years; I was introduced to the online tea community, expanded my interest in flavoured teas to include a deep love and appreciation for straight teas and traditional brewing methods, got a tea themed tattoo, started reviewing teas, amassed a sizable tea and teaware collection, became a TAC certified Tea Sommelier, & even came full circle by beginning a career in the tea industry with DAVIDsTEA!

I consider myself a Jack of all Teas, and strive to have a knowledge and appreciation of all tea types, formats, and styles of drinking. I don’t like to feel boxed in to just being a “flavoured tea” or “straight tea” drinker – my expectations may vary depending on the type of tea or how it’s been processed/prepared but if it’s good tea, it’s good tea no matter how it’s been made!

You name it, I probably drink it- and I’ll absolutely try anything at least once.

My default method of preperation is hot, Western style, and straight – but I’m not opposed to additions if I’m in the right mood. If I ever add something to a tea or use a different method of preparation I will ALWAYS call it out in the tasting note though.

I like to listen to music when drinking tea, especially when I’m brewing a large pot at a time or steeping Gongfu. Often I curate very intentional tea and music pairings, and sometimes I share them here in my tasting reviews. Music is something that I find can deeply affect the experience of having tea.

Favourite flavour notes/ingredients: Pear, lychee, cranberry, cream, melon, pineapple, malt, roasty, petrichor, sweet potato, heady florals like rose, hazelnut or walnut, sesame, honey (in moderation), and very woody shou.

Least favourite flavour notes/ingredients:
Lemongrass, ginger, strongly spiced profiles (and most Chai in general), mushrooms, seaweed, chamomile, stevia, saltiness or anything that reminds me too much of meat that isn’t supposed to taste like meat…

Please contact me at the instagram account listed below if you would like me to review your teas.

Currently I’m employed in the tea department of the DAVIDsTEA head office. While I’m still sharing my own personal thoughts on new & existing DAVIDsTEA blends, I am no longer numerically rating them due to the obvious conflict of interest. Any comments expressed are a reflection of my own thoughts and opinions, and do not reflect the thoughts and opinions of the company. Any DAVIDsTEA blends you currently see with a numeric score were reviewed prior to my being hired there and have not been adjusted since becoming a DAVIDsTEA employee.

Montreal, QC, CA