Partridgeberry in a Pear Tea

Fruit Green Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by 52Teas

3 Images

• “Yay! New Teas! The pear flavor is sweet and strong, and the buttery sencha melds beautifully with the pear. I can even taste a very faint note of mint to this tea. Very faint, but it is there. ...” Read full tasting note
  • “Holiday tea #2 Oh wow… I’m pleasantly surprised at this one! I thought it was an old sample (the only tasting notes are from three years ago). And since it’s a green tea, I expected it to be...” Read full tasting note
  • “New experiment, i decreased the steep temperature and let it sit for longer. I think i like the result. It is a lot lighter, but more creamy sweet and zero astringency. I think i came to realize...” Read full tasting note
  • “Got this ages ago and I can’t believe I haven’t posted a tasting note on this yet! Today I’m having this iced, because it is really quite warm and I really need to get the hang of making iced tea...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

This was one of my favorite Christmas teas from Frank’s era, and to be honest, I’m not sure if I loved it so much for the tea (although the tea is really delightful!) or the name because – seriously – so clever! Right?

So what is a partridgeberry? Well, my research on Wikipedia tells me a partridgeberry can be a creeping herbaceous shrub native to North America (scientific name: mitchella repens) or it can be a lingonberry (scientific name: vaccinium vitis-idaea). Since I have neither mitchella repens nor vaccinium vitis-idaea at my easy disposal, I decided to choose the easiest/most accessible of these two to include in this blend: the lingonberry.

Prior to blending this tea, my experience with the lingonberry was limited to trips to IKEA and seeing lingonberry jam on the shelves (and at one point, I purchased some of that jam to make a sauce for meatballs. No, I didn’t get the meatballs from IKEA.) I also purchased some lingonberry glogg last year. That was pretty tasty.

Frank’s description of this tea went like this:

Yes, okay, I am a very silly man. I just couldn’t resist.

Back when I was planning to create all new blends for the 12 teas of Christmas sampler, I was trying to figure out how to go along with the 12 Days of Christmas song. I figured out this one and some sort of Turtle® chocolate treat blend. Three French Hens might have been some kind of French vanilla, but four calling birds completely stumped me.

Well, anyway, here’s our buttery-sweet Chinese sencha blended with wild-harvested Partidgeberry (Mitchella repens), dried pears and natural pear flavors. Silly or not, it is delicious if you like pears.

Yes, I love pears! And I’m much more familiar with pears than I am partridgeberries. And this is technically not supposed to be a partridgeberry tea but a pear tea.

I started with organic Chinese Sencha (just like the original recipe!) and added dried pears and instead of using wild-harvested Partridgeberry, I used internet-purchased lingonberries. And they look pretty in this blend, like little red crystals amidst the long spears of green tea and the chunks of pear. It looks very Christmas-y, this tea.

organic ingredients: green tea, pears and natural flavors

ingredients: lingonberries

About 52teas View company

Yay! New Teas!

The pear flavor is sweet and strong, and the buttery sencha melds beautifully with the pear. I can even taste a very faint note of mint to this tea. Very faint, but it is there. I thought that my taste buds might be off a little bit when I first tasted it, but then I checked the info on partridgeberry and I found that its flavor vaguely resembles that of wintergreen.

Delicious! I just wrote a review for this tea to be published on the Tea Review Blog soon!

Southern Boy Teas

I think this one actually improves as an iced tea. The partridgeberry kind of rounds out the pear. I can’t really describe it, but it’s good.

TeaEqualsBliss

would like to try this one too! LOL

Holiday tea #2

Oh wow… I’m pleasantly surprised at this one! I thought it was an old sample (the only tasting notes are from three years ago). And since it’s a green tea, I expected it to be terribly old. No way! Maybe because the sample was unopened? The flavor is still a buttery sencha with plenty of pear flavor. Though at times, the pear flavor does seem like it’s flavored like the stem of a pear. Anyway, I had to look up what partridgeberry is. Wiki is telling me that that partridgeberries look like cranberries but don’t have much flavor other than a hint of wintergreen. I was seeing things that looked like dried cranberries in the blend, but I can’t say I noticed a difference in flavor. Very surprised this isn’t a waste of a steep! I’ll happily drink the rest of this sample as long as it tastes this good. It gives me hope for some of my other older green teas!

New experiment, i decreased the steep temperature and let it sit for longer. I think i like the result. It is a lot lighter, but more creamy sweet and zero astringency. I think i came to realize that there is no actual partridge “berry” but rather the leaves of the plant.

Southern Boy Teas

Partridgeberry is the name of the plant. It does have berries, but they are not in the tea.

politicalmachine

thanks for clarifying! :)

Got this ages ago and I can’t believe I haven’t posted a tasting note on this yet! Today I’m having this iced, because it is really quite warm and I really need to get the hang of making iced tea before the hot summer months. So I am making this double-strength hot, then sweetening and pouring over ice cubes. It’s pretty good! I can taste mostly green tea, but then quite a bit of pear. I also get a very slight mint note, presumably from the partridgeberry. Although I like this iced, it is definitely better hot.

sample from variatea. not a fan. There IS a pear flavour here but it comes across to me as being slightly artifical and there’s something else there that isn’t working for me…not sure if it’s the sencha base or what, but this is not the pear tea for me. oh well. At least i know now :)

VariaTEA

I actually really liked this one. Gotta love how people’s tastes differ. I’m sad this isn’t a pear tea for you.

that’s why tea sharing is so much fun :)

Kittenna

I wasn’t thrilled by this one either, unfortunately. Might have been the green base that didn’t work for me.

Trying this one for the first time today and haven’t made my mind up yet, so today—just today— I am going to be a woman of few words.

Well I am a little (okay a lot) late to the 12 teas of Christmas game but better late than never I suppose. This is certainly a good start because it has a flavor reminiscent of my beloved Cranberry Pear from DAVIDsTEA, albeit a little lighter due to the green tea base. Also there is some great pear candy notes to this. Yum!

Roswell Strange

So, I bought a stupid expensive vegan gelato thing today when I was grocery shopping because it’s Cranberry Pear flavoured and I have a secret hope that it’ll taste like DT’s Cranberry Pear. Anything to get to relive that great tea ;)

Maddy Barone

Cranberry Pear is my favorite. I even bought this hella expensive cranberry pear cider vinegar. Boy, I tell you what, that stuff is marvelous sprinkled over some lettuce. Or bread. Or cold green beans.

Oh, sorry. This is tea stuff. Sorry!

Evol Ving Ness

Oooooh, sounds delicious.

VariaTEA

Discontinuing it seems like such a weird choice since it was loved by so many of us. Luckily I still have some and I have this so I am happy.

I may be at a slight disadvantage (or maybe an advantage?) as I’ve never tried any teas from 52teas that weren’t blended by Anne. I say this just because I noticed in other reviews that mentioned that this is a reblend and ???? yeah.

so, that being said, this was a wonderful start to the 12 Teas of Christmas. I loved the buttery-ness of the green tea and the PEARS and lingonberries. I tried this both hot and then cold brewed overnight, and both were great. I may have preferred this hot if only because the pear pieces were warm and a+ for eating after steeping.

What a delicious way to start the 12 days of Christmas. The sencha was very mild which allowed a beautiful pear note to come through. There was just a hint of berry in my cuppa, but it paired so nicely with the pear. The partridgeberry offered a bit of tartness to contrast the sweet freeze-dried pears. I love a good pear tea, and I’m so pleased this one did not disappoint.

On the first day of Christmas – this is the first tea of our Holiday countdown/advent calendar of tea! I was really happy that this tea won a fair number of votes in our poll from a few months ago because I thought it would be the perfect tea to include in our 12 Teas of Christmas box – as the first tea of course!

I used organic Chinese Sencha and freeze-dried pears along with some dried lingonberries. When I googled partridgeberries, I saw that there seem to be two different berries that are referred to as “partridgeberries” – the first are Michella repens and I couldn’t find anyone out there that sold them which didn’t really surprise me since from what I could tell, the berries are pretty flavorless. Who wants to buy flavorless berries?

A little bit more looking into my google search turned up another berry that is known as “partridgeberry” and that is the lingonberry. And HEY – I know that berry! I mean, I’ve been to IKEA. I figured it’d be easier for me to find a Lingonberry (Vaccinium vitis-idaea) than it’d be for me to find the Michella repens.

The berries are actually really small, so if you get something that looks kind of big (like the size of the cranberry) that’s actually a cluster of the berries. I tried to separate as many of the berries from each other as I could but these things are tiny and it became quite a task.

But they are certainly very festive looking amid the rich, green spears of Chinese Sencha and chunks of freeze-dried pear.

I really love this tea – I loved it back when Frank first blended it, and I am enjoying it immensely now. Sweet pear flavor with a hint of tart from the berry. Lovely!