Apple Jack's Apple Harvest Shou Mei

Fruit White Blend
Apple, Organic Flavours, Shou Mei White Tea
Apple, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

From 52teas

YEE HAW! Listen up, everypony: this tea is a delicious blend of hay-like shou mei white tea, freeze-dried red-delicious- and granny smith- apples and organic flavors. This tea tastes like heaven and is great hot or iced. Don’t be surprised if drinking it leaves you uttering strange phrases like, “What in the hay is going on?”

About 52teas View company

2064 tasting notes

Finally getting there with my older 52 Teas (and with all my teas, come to that – I’m under 150 now!) This one smells great out of the bag – like mildly spiced apple cider. I’m hoping it’ll hold up in the flavour.

The leaf here seems quite fine for shou mei. There are a lot of darker coloured, small-shred leaves, but also a few silver tips. While brewing, the scent is slightly cloying in the way that white tea sometimes has – there’s a lot of sweetness and hay. To taste, it’s pretty good. There are apples, and although the flavour is fairly light they’re also pretty flavour accurate, too. This one puts me in mind of pink lady or something of that ilk, rather than a sharp green apple, but it’s good all the same. The white tea base pairs well, enhancing the sweetness without being overpowering. While I’m enjoying this one, I’m not overwhelmed by it. It’s tasty enough, but that’s about as far as my enthusiasm stretches.

175 °F / 79 °C 2 min, 30 sec 1 tsp

This was tasty. Nice light and appley. What I’m more excited to say is this is a Sipdown!

Doing my Sipdown dance right now. . . #11- Huzzah!

Roswell Strange

Does your sipdown dance look anything like a touchdown dance? If it does we may need video…

Nichole/CuppaGeek

It might. . . .

Kristal

Been sipping down myself lately, so I feel your excitement! Went from 52 teas 2 weeks ago to 32 teas. I have 2 more teas that are 2-3 servings away from being done, but I also ordered 4 kinds from DAVIDs. Either way, progress is being made :).

Nichole/CuppaGeek

Nice! Yeah, I ordered a sampler pack of 30 times the other day. . .oops. . and then 52 Teas had a sale. . .I have a problem but I’m good with it:)

Kristal

at least sampler packs are quick to use up! That a big part of the reason why I decreased my collection so quickly ;)

The hubby and I were looking for something to sip while we wrestled with the online tax monster. This one seemed just the thing. We steeped it twice, as follows:
1st – 170°, one minute, 16 oz. water, two perfect teaspoons of tea
2nd – 180°, one and a half minutes

Both steeps were sweetened with a little clover honey (I prefer wildflower, but clover is generally more accessible, and cheaper besides). The clover taste, to my pleasant surprise, did not overpower the flavor of the apples or the tea, although it did take away some of the tartness that I remember this tea having. A very nice apple blend, although I would have preferred a sharper apple flavor (more like a Braeburn or a Pink Lady than a Gala or Red Delicious). I like my apples to bite back. :) The base tea was a sweet hay undertone, with just a hint of something floral to round it out. Lovely!

2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Backlog:

When I first saw the name of this tea, I wasn’t thinking ponies, I was thinking breakfast cereal. Then again, my daughters have outgrown their little ponies, and back when my youngest was into the ponies, they didn’t have an Apple Jack. My youngest’s favorite was Pinky Pie.

Anyway, this is a nice apple flavored white tea. I like that it isn’t a spiced tea, it just focuses on the apple. The light shou mei is a nice base for the apple notes. A nice, apple-y flavor.

This wasn’t my favorite of the apple flavored teas that 52Teas created this past fall, but, I enjoyed it. I especially liked it iced!

Holy pony this is one tasty tea!

I am really glad that Frank included this as day four of the 12 Teas of Christmas box, because I considered adding this to my last 52teas order and in the end decided against it. I would definitely have missed out!

The last time I had 52teas Shou Mei, it was quite astringent. To avoid inflicting similar damage on this one, I brewed it at a lower temperature and left it a little longer to allow the flavours to develop without burning the tea. It seems to have worked, and I think that this will be my method with all 52teas Shou Meis in future. The colour when brewed is a deep golden colour, which surprised me since I had lowered the temperature and was half expecting the tea to be weak. The initial taste is of the beautiful white tea, and then the most amazing apple flavouring comes through in the aftertaste. I had no idea how sorely I was missing this from my collection until I tried it.

This was yesterdays tea ie 4th day of Christmas tea from the box. I decided to have a smelly food day which meant I couldn’t taste much of anything past garlic, onion, chilli and spices hence why I didn’t review this until today.

The raw blend smells amazingly sweet apple like, very potent and strong.

The steeped tea smells sweet apple like though toned down from it’s raw form.

In flavour this is very mild compared to it’s scent. The apple comes through in the after taste while the white tea is the main flavour. It’s dry, floral and slightly astringent before the apple kicks in which adds a crisp sweetness. It doesn’t linger for long in the after taste.

It’s not as appley as it appears I mean the tea has apple twice in it’s name. The astringency of the white tea reduces what the apple could be, though saying that it is still a fairly nice tea. Perhaps if I try it again it will be iced.

170 °F / 76 °C 2 min, 0 sec 5 g 20 OZ / 600 ML
Nattie

Loving the notion of a ‘smelly food day’

Steep Information:
Amount: 9.5g
Tool: Breville One-Touch Tea Maker BTM800XL
Steep Time: 2 minutes
Served: Hot

Tasting Notes:
Dry Leaf Smell: cucumber, sweet, floral, green apples
Steeped Tea Smell: floral, vegetal
Flavor: vegetal, floral, sweet, fuzzy
Body: Light
Aftertaste: green apples
Liquor: lovely dark orange-brown

I love My Little Pony! Sadly this tea isn’t very apple-y

Post-Steep Additives:
sugar
more apple-y and sweet, less floral and vegetal

I think this would make a great iced tea, however it is chilly out

also this is the 4th day of the 12 teas of Christmas

Resteep:
Steep Time: 3 minutes

a little more vegetal and astringent

Resteep:
Steep Time: 4 minutes

not much flavor, but lots of color

Rating: 3/4 leaves

blog: http://amazonv.blogspot.com/2014/12/52teas-loose-leaf-white-tea-apple-jacks.html

180 °F / 82 °C 2 min, 0 sec 9 g 25 OZ / 750 ML

52teas’ 12 Teas of Christmas Day 4! (Drank Dec. 4)
Thought this was a green before I opened it, but have reconsidered, and now think it’s a white. A very fluffy white. And I’m not at all sure what it is based on the smell – both my roommate and I agree that it smells like white wine, plus a mishmash of fruity aromas, including banana and possibly orange (but orange juice was being consumed at that time, so we’re not 100% on that one).

I accidentally oversteeped it, so the base is a bit strong, but there’s also not really much flavour. Not really a fan. I’d guess that this was maybe a champagne white or something, but I don’t know if anything like that was released this year.

Uh, Apple Jack’s Apple Harvest Shou Mei? Never would have guessed. I guess the apple is what’s coming off as winey? Either way, not fond of this blend at all.

Thanks for uploading the photo, Cameron! For some reason, I can’t.

This tea is very very appley. I’m kind of amazed, actually. The white notes come out for me more as it cools, when it was hot and I just had a sip before I forgot about it and buried myself in the work binder shelves, it was very appley. The aftertaste is interesting. Apple to some extent, though I can’t tell what type. Also a bit of something else that doesn’t quite sit right on my tongue. Not quite sure what it is.

In other news, overtime during a normal workday while surrounded by engineers that seem to think that they’re above this type of work and like to make snotty comments as they walk by is not as fun as overtime on Saturday by myself. It’s work. You get paid. If the company wants and is actually completely thrilled to pay me for putting binders in boxes and documenting it in a spreadsheet, who am I to argue?

Flavors: Apple

Cameron B.

You’re welcome! Ponies for all!